Do Naam Simran

Shaheed4life

5 minutes ago, dharamyudh said:

He was talking about in a spiritual sense. Of course he believed in being tyaar bar tyaar. 

I hear you. The two go together in Sikhi from what it looks like to me? From Chaupa Singh rahit:

Once in S. 1759 (1702 A.C) [there occured the following incident]. The annual gathering to celebrate Baisakhi had been held and the naqib had been instructed to announce that everyone should go home. The naqib announced in a loud voice that the Supreme Master had instructed all to return to their homes. Hearing the announcement all who were assembled there duly dispersed. All departed except for a Khatri called Rai Singh. The naqib reported [to Guru Gobind Singh] that the gathering had dispersed but that one participant, Rai Singh, still remained.

"If you want to be a faithful Sikh [obey my command and] go to your home,' [the Guru] said to him.

"My Lord," he answered, "I have remained here because I have abandoned my home. How can I be a faithful Sikh in my home when I have no home?"

"Only at home can you be a faithful Sikh, not here," said [the Guru. "This is no place for you at present.] You are a literate person, one who knows Persian, whereas here our business has to be war. Because of the designs of [evil] people I must bring about a time of tumult (raula), for only thus can our ends be attained. [in such circumstances you will be a hindrance.] When you witness the turmoil you will think up all sorts of suggestions concerning the way this should be done and that should not be done. You will say, "The Master has made a mistake."

"[instead of flinging yourself in combat] you will sit and listen to what others say. You will think, you will observe and you will make calculations. But we shall be in the midst of tumult and when the panth is plunged into tumult it has to fight! If all is calm [my] Sikhs will stay at home and there fall prey to excessive affection for family and possessions. But now, in the coming tumult, there will be no such distractions." And so [the Guru] sent [Rai Singh] home.

1980219031_raisinghchauparahitextract.png.36d0c416d0b3e4025ff33abedf2e36a3.png

17 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I hear you. The two go together in Sikhi from what it looks like to me? From Chaupa Singh rahit:

Once in S. 1759 (1702 A.C) [there occured the following incident]. The annual gathering to celebrate Baisakhi had been held and the naqib had been instructed to announce that everyone should go home. The naqib announced in a loud voice that the Supreme Master had instructed all to return to their homes. Hearing the announcement all who were assembled there duly dispersed. All departed except for a Khatri called Rai Singh. The naqib reported [to Guru Gobind Singh] that the gathering had dispersed but that one participant, Rai Singh, still remained.

"If you want to be a faithful Sikh [obey my command and] go to your home,' [the Guru] said to him.

"My Lord," he answered, "I have remained here because I have abandoned my home. How can I be a faithful Sikh in my home when I have no home?"

"Only at home can you be a faithful Sikh, not here," said [the Guru. "This is no place for you at present.] You are a literate person, one who knows Persian, whereas here our business has to be war. Because of the designs of [evil] people I must bring about a time of tumult (raula), for only thus can our ends be attained. [in such circumstances you will be a hindrance.] When you witness the turmoil you will think up all sorts of suggestions concerning the way this should be done and that should not be done. You will say, "The Master has made a mistake."

"[instead of flinging yourself in combat] you will sit and listen to what others say. You will think, you will observe and you will make calculations. But we shall be in the midst of tumult and when the panth is plunged into tumult it has to fight! If all is calm [my] Sikhs will stay at home and there fall prey to excessive affection for family and possessions. But now, in the coming tumult, there will be no such distractions." And so [the Guru] sent [Rai Singh] home.

1980219031_raisinghchauparahitextract.png.36d0c416d0b3e4025ff33abedf2e36a3.png

Great source. Also, I definitely agree that both go hand in hand. I feel like when one becomes Khalsa and joins the Panth, there is an expectation that individual should train and be tyar bar tyar. In essence, the Khalsa is reborn through the sword itself through drinking khande di paul amrit. There should be an emphasis on this. 

40 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bhai ji I know plenty of amritdharis who don't train at all. I feel that in any future chaos, unless we are prepared for it as a panth, we're only going to be slaughtered or enslaved. And we know when things kick off bibian get it bad. I think something really twisted has happened and apnay don't even talk about the whole sipahi maryada/ithihaas these days (other than for a quick false ego boost). Also, living in the past and not preparing to meet modern armed enemies is going to be suicidal. Satguru Arjun Dev Ji clearly showed us that daints do not understand or respect non-violence. 

We need to get practical, not just philosophical. Any Sikhs in countries where modern weapons are legal should train with them and familiarise themselves with them.    

100 percent agree with you brother. Problem is that for the last couple of years we have had a decline in our own warrior attitude. Whether this may be the result of the British or just our people getting used to being subservient as slaves all the time, the whole notion of training with weapons is barely talked about. The problem is that people have become way too comfortable. We see that having this mindset can prove to be absolutely deadly with a notable example being 1984 in Delhi. It's gotten so bad that our own Gurdwaras are lacking HEAVILY in undoubtedly the most important part of Sikhi. Gurdwaras should not only be places of worship but also where vidya is transmitted, this includes the overall understanding of shastar vidya (talking about knowledge of weapons/fighting in general). In my own gurdwara, from an outsiders perspective (not involved in the committee), it seems like a majority of Maharaj's money goes into food campaigns. In places like America, not only should our people use the second amendment to their benefit but also the gurdwaras should follow suit. Imagine a gurdwara with a gun range with teachers willing to pass the vidya of how to fire, respect, and maintain firearms. We have the ability and the resources to do so, however, fail to even comprehend such things. I know that some gurdwaras in the UK are opening up gyms and akharas which is a great move forward as well.  

6 hours ago, Jai Tegang! said:

I think this disconnect from the original Khalsa is at the heart of our decline and losses. Amrit was the initiation into an armed group with deep spiritual values and high morals. Somewhere along the line, the armed part was reduced to carrying a small blunt blade with no requirement for training whatsoever. The Panth during Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time encompassed a variety of people from the non-combatant Udasis to the jangi Jodhay (who became the Khalsa) all receiving Guru Darbar patronage  and fulfilling their respective calling with Guru's Grace. In between these two were lay sangat of varying degrees of adherence all bettering their lives with the revolutionary spiritual and military life Guru Gobind Singh Ji offered.

That was really well articulated. And I have to say, the truth about what we've been talking about in the last few threads sometimes makes it hard to have respect for certain Amritdharis.