Taliban is in the news everywhere

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/rest-of-the-world-news/afghan-sikhs-receive-ultimatum-from-taliban-asked-to-either-convert-or-leave-reports.html

Last Updated: 23rd October, 2021 16:24 IST

'Atrocity on minority' Afghan Sikhs Receive Ultimatum From Taliban, Asked To 'either Convert Or Leave': Reports

In Afghanistan, Sikhs have been asked to either run away from the country or convert to Islam by the Taliban, mentioned sources. SAD leader Sirsa gave inputs.

Written By
Bhavyata Kagrana

Continuing its atrocities against the minorities, the Taliban in Afghanistan has reportedly given an ultimatum to Sikhs to either convert to Islam or leave the country. The reports of such brutalities comes a day after reports regarding schools for girls being shut down had come out. Meanwhile, Akali Dal leader Manjinder Singh Sirsa spoke to Republic and informed that he had received an SOS call on Friday night from Sikhs in Afghanistan asking to save their lives.

''Sikhs and Hindus in grave danger in Afghanistan.'' Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee President, Manjinder Singh Sirsa said.

"I am afraid of not just the future but people in Afghanistan are in danger and the threat is so high that they might even lose their lives. These are the same people who have lived in Afghanistan for years. Guru Nanak had visited Afghanistan and after him, a lot of Sikhs had reached there. I received information that the Gurdwara in Afghanistan has been acquired by the Taliban and they have decided to build a mosque over it. It is now understood they will not let Sikhs live there and I had received an SOS call last night asking to save their lives," added Manjinder Singh Sirsa.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/70-indians-200-locals-await-evacuation-from-afghanistan-humanitarian-groups-to-centre-2586175

Around 70 Indians, 200 Locals Await Evacuation From Afghanistan, Centre Told

Indian citizens and Afghan nationals of Indian origin previously have a visa valid for three years. But due to the recent turmoil in Afghanistan by the Taliban, the Indian government has canceled all visas and announced that they will travel to India.

New Delhi:  All IndiaAsian News InternationalUpdated: October 24, 2021 4:37 pm IS

The India world forum (IWF) and other humanitarian NGOs wrote a letter to the Prime Minister Office (PMO) and senior officials of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) seeking early evacuation of stranded Hindu and Sikh community citizens from Kabul (Afghanistan).

"Sikh leaders and NGOs including Gurudwara are receiving multiple distressed calls from Kabul from Indian nationals and Afghan nationals of India origin," Manjit Singh GK, former president of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGPC) in s letter dated October 20 said.

"Most of them are yet to receive their e-visas in spite of having valid visas earlier and travel history to India. Approximately 100 Indians nationals, including children and spouses and 222 Afghan nationals of Indian origin are seeking assistance from the government of India," the letter further read.

Indian citizens and Afghan nationals of Indian origin previously have a visa valid for three years. But due to the recent turmoil in Afghanistan by the Taliban, the Indian government has canceled all visas and announced that they will travel to India. Only e-Visa can be considered for traveling to India from Afghanistan.

"This is in regard to our earlier requests addressed to the Government of India for issuance of visas to Afghan nationals belonging to Hindu and Sikh community i.e. minorities. Most of our community members were holding valid visas but unfortunately, on August 25, the earlier visas issued by the Embassy of India have been invalidated," a letter of the president of Guru Singh Sabha Karte Parwan, Kabul read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59102411

'I feel free' - LGBT Afghan refugees arrive in UK

Published
17 hours ago
Taliban members in charge of security, patrol in Kabul, Afghanistan October 28, 2021IMAGE SOURCE,REUTERS
Image caption,Taliban fighters patrol the streets in Kabul

I feel like "a human being for the first time" in my life, a gay Afghan man has said after arriving in the UK with 28 others from the LGBT community.

The man - who the BBC is not naming for safety reasons - fled Afghanistan, fearing for his life under the Taliban.

The hard-line Islamist group returned to power in August, after US-led troops left at the end of a 20-year presence.

On Friday, a Taliban spokesman told Reuters news agency that the group would not respect gay rights.

"Everything collapsed after the fall of Kabul," the man told the BBC. "I was very depressed. I was counting my days to die.

"Even I was a stranger in my own home and my bed. I felt I was a stranger in my hometown, Kabul."

The Taliban return sparked a mass exodus of people who believed they would be in danger if they stayed, including people who worked closely with the US and its allies, and a number of high-profile women.

Members of the LGBT community are also trying to leave, unsure of their future under the Taliban. The last time the group were in power - between 1996 and 2001 - gay men were reportedly stoned to death.

The community has not lived openly in the 20 years since - like many, the man the BBC interviewed has a wife and child.

"The LGBTI [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex] community was a secret underground community, but we knew each other and our network, and if one of us got arrested, they could have found the rest of us," he told the BBC.

"Kabul is not a big city, and with the way the Taliban are ruling the country, it was not that difficult to find high profile LGBTI people. We also heard a couple of people were arrested."

The man's escape was only possible with the help of international LGBT organisations. An initial attempt to leave on evacuation flights out of Kabul airport - past the "terrifying" Taliban guards - failed.

But almost two months on, having made it to a third country to wait for a visa, the man arrived in the UK.

Officials explained that the UK foreign secretary and UK and Canadian organisations Stonewall and Rainbow Railroad intervened to help the first 29 people.

More members of Afghanistan's LGBT community are expected to leave in the coming months.

Their arrival comes as a spokesman for the Afghan finance minister said human rights would be respected within the framework of Islamic law, but not gay rights. "LGBT... That's against our Sharia law," Ahmad Wali Haqmal said.

For the refugees, it is the start of a new life.

"Britain is a new home for me," says the man. "Everything is new to me here. A new lifestyle, a new language and culture. I am a bit nervous about my future, and I am trying to figure out where to start my new life, but man, I feel safe and free!

"This is amazing."

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59330365

Afghan girl footballers reach UK on Kim Kardashian West-funded flight

By Caroline Hawley
Diplomatic Correspondent

A group of Afghan girl footballers have flown into the UK, the culmination of an extraordinary rescue effort that began after the Taliban seized power.

The costly operation brought together an unlikely cast of characters, from Muslim sports-people to spies, philanthropists, and a Hasidic rabbi. 

The girls - aged between 13 and 19 - arrived from Pakistan overnight. 

Their flight was chartered by a Jewish aid organisation and was paid for by the US star, Kim Kardashian-West.

"It's Mission Accomplished," said Khalida Popal, former manager of Afghanistan's national women's team, who co-ordinated their rescue from Denmark. "I'm so happy and so proud of these girls. They were traumatised. They've been through so much and managed to stay strong. Now they can start a new life and breathe freedom."

Rabbi Moshe Margaretten, President & Founder of the Jewish aid group, the Tzedek Association, expressed his relief. "As the son and grandson of Holocaust survivors, a time when righteous non-Jewish people stepped up to the plate to help save so many Jewish people, I know in my heart that we must be there for others in their time of need at a time when their very lives are at risk," he said.

The teenagers, mostly from the Afghan provinces, all feared for their lives when the Taliban captured their cities. Some of their families had received death threats.

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 8:27 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

We had zero intention of helping anyone. 

Imagine if Uncle Sam's $2 Trillion wasted there had spent to uplift those billions in the Global South (primarily in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia)!

On 10/11/2021 at 8:57 AM, Premi5 said:

It seems the Afghans are something 'special' whether we like them or not; they've been difficult to conquer for various armies

Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa and the Sikh Fauj never had a problem!

But yes I think for now Diaspora Sikhs sitting in the UK can focus on:

*The UK has spent 1.5billion pounds in the last 12 months housing 95% Muslim economic migrants in Hotels.

*The UK Government has subsidised the terrorist state of Pakistan with 5 billion pounds just in the last 10 years

*Meanwhile the UK Government supported and co-ordinated the 1984 Congress Genocide of Sikhs. Preet Kaur Gill as the shadow Development Secretary needs to come up with a multi-billion social development package that the UK needs to offer to Sikhs in east Punjab (and the widows and descendants of 1984 outside Punjab) as reparations just for the 1984 Congress Genocide of Sikhs that the UK assisted. That doesn't even take into account the reparations that Sikhs are owed for 1947 (but are never likely to receive). But is beyond disgusting that Pakistan and Muslim economic migrants get this massive level of economic support from the UK but the UK's Sikh victims in the Genocide in which the UK collaborated, supported and advised Indira Gandhi still results in zero support for Sikh social issues in India as a result.