Why our freedom movement died out?

shastarSingh

30 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If you recall a few years ago we were discussing how these people after living the same way for centuries have suddenly got material wealth and it has got to their heads.

After making observations about these people, I tend to make comparisons between today's Punjab and our parents generation in the UK who came from a Punjab from an earlier era.

Our parents generation and the ones above had to make sacrifices and had to endure delayed gratification where they are now after decades are enjoying the fruits of their labour.

This 21st Punjab is one of instant gratification. They want it and they want it now!

I was brought up on mid 20th century UK Punjabi values where you save for a rainy day, think about tomorrow and build for the future and live within your means.

The Moosawallah/ Yo Yo Singh generation is of the opinion, "What's the point of having money if you are not going to spend it.You only live once!"

The sheer arrogance.

It is the cognitive dissonance that gets me because it's two completely different set of values. We may come from the same culture but I have nothing in common with this mindset.

Cracking post, spot on. 

15 hours ago, shastarSingh said:

Veerji

I hv strong intuition we will hv our own state in future.

Let's assume it will be run by abhiyasi gursikhs. Even then, at the end of the day, it's decent money that every human needs to live a dignified life.

How will we ensure that?

Communism has failed.

Capitalism has lead to  great economic inequality.

I'm not a communist but lately I hv started to strongly dislike capitalism.

I can't think of any truly capitalist countries. All the supposedly capitalist nations have a great many international, and national market mechanisms in place. 

Capitalism works when it's truly a free market, and when combined with suitable compassion or sense of responsibilty. 

4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

This happens in a culture that supposedly prizes the institution of Family. Funny thing is these people use to present a highly edited narrative of Punjabi family "values" back in the day; their dedication to respecting and serving elderly parents, etc., but now the curtain has slipped, and the truth of what actually happens out there in terms of the back-stabbing regarding inheritance; daily conflict between middle-aged siblings, etc., reveals none of it was rooted in a moral duty but rather it was done for material gain. I'm just surprised people like us were convinced to buy the bull5hit for so long.

I don't think that is entirely true. The women used to get worked hard a few generations ago, from turning grain seeds into flour with a chaki, help carrying stuff, some even helped in the fields, turning mountains of cowsh1t into a fire source, they lived quite physical lives themselves a few generations back. And I can verify that from what I saw with my own eyes as child. What you're seeing now isn't indicative of the past. 

It's the same with today's 'putt jut de', I know for a fact in the past they weren't reliant on bhiayas like they are now.  They'd be grafting themselves, sometimes having to toke some afeem to keep going. 

This modern crap appears to be the result of spoiling kids and giving them some sense of unearned privilege?

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think that is entirely true. The women used to get worked hard a few generations ago, from turning grain seeds into flour with a chaki, help carrying stuff, some even helped in the fields, turning mountains of cowsh1t into a fire source, they lived quite physical lives themselves a few generations back. And I can verify that from what I saw with my own eyes as child. What you're seeing now isn't indicative of the past. 

It's the same with today's 'putt jut de', I know for a fact in the past they weren't reliant on bhiayas like they are now.  They'd be grafting themselves, sometimes having to toke some afeem to keep going. 

This modern crap appears to be the result of spoiling kids and giving them some sense of unearned privilege?

Parents don't want their kids to go through same hardships they did, and they see other options/grass greener

Could 'spoiling' their kids also be because nowadays parents have less children, so their love is not as divided/shared ?

8 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Parents don't want their kids to go through same hardships they did, and they see other options/grass greener

Could 'spoiling' their kids also be because nowadays parents have less children, so their love is not as divided/shared ?

I don't know. Having open, unconditional loving relationships with kids doesn't seem a norm in the community? 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think that is entirely true.

It's true.

The prize of inheritance was always in the back of their minds even when they were pulling their weight. They knew it was an inevitability that they'd get their rewards after decades of loyal service to elders, etc. but (and here's the most important issue) it was something they chose not to linger on or discuss openly because of issues of propriety, decorum or sharam. The only thing that's changed is their exposure to gross western materialism and how that particular worldview has merged with the Eastern simple-minded, rural mindset where too much too soon just cannot be processed by these people.

Simply put, their patience to keep up the pretence of contentment has vanished. What was suppressed for various cultural reasons is now out in the open, and they don't care who knows about it. They just know they want it, and NOW.

2 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

It's true.

The prize of inheritance was always in the back of their minds even when they were pulling their weight. They knew it was an inevitability that would get their rewards after decades of loyal service to elders, etc. but (and here's the most important issue) it was something they chose not to linger on or discuss openly because of issues of propriety, decorum or sharam. The only thing that's changed is their exposure to gross western materialism and how that particular worldview has merged with the Eastern simple-minded, rural mindset where too much too soon just cannot be processed by these people.

Simply put, their patience to keep up the pretence of contentment has vanished. What was suppressed for various cultural reasons is now out in the open, and they don't care who knows about it. They just know they want it, and NOW.

Want everything except any responsibility. 

59 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I see both scenarios playing out. People, women especially, are far more capable than is currently being demonstrated overall.