Chaupa Singh rahit: Sikh from a bad background and an unruly selfish Sikh

13 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Objectively, it's fascinating reading, lol. Honestly, I do enjoy reading it. But to sincerely follow its edicts to the letter? Nah, it ain't kosher in my opinion.

Let me ask you another question:

Would you have liked it better if all extant puraatan texts like rahits were in full consonance with each other, in terms of post-annexation influenced thinking?

Is it even possible (let alone advisable!) for any evolved, literate culture to ever even have this level of homogeny? 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Objectively, it's fascinating reading, lol. Honestly, I do enjoy reading it. But to sincerely follow its edicts to the letter? Nah, it ain't kosher in my opinion.

You looking for some Sikh equivalent to 10 commandments bro? Our thing can't be broken down as simply as this! Check out Akaal Ustaat. 

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Let me ask you another question:

Would you have liked it better if all extant puraatan texts like rahits were in full consonance with each other, in terms of post-annexation influenced thinking?

Is it even possible (let alone advisable!) for any evolved, literate culture to ever even have this level of homogeny? 

I wouldn't 'prefer' anything. I'm saying it contradicts the fundamentals of what gianis on stages around the world say our religion is about. I just want to know who's wrong: the mainstream orthodoxy or Chaupa Singh. 

Also, it's interesting how you rail against corrosive Anglo attempts at bastardising Sikhi either to promote colonial adherence or prioritise jatt prominence, but when something that undermines the underlying premise of the religion we follow is supposedly a thing of beauty and nuance worthy of further introspection! What?!? Absolute kekery.

4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I wouldn't 'prefer' anything. I'm saying it contradicts the fundamentals of what gianis on stages around the world say our religion is about. I just want to know who's wrong: the mainstream orthodoxy or Chaupa Singh. 

That whole concept of mainstream religious orthodoxy seems like a modern construct. Hammering dharam into religion. I just think it especially appeals to people who think in binary form, and seeing how rurals seem to either go to one extreme or the other i.e. super orthodoxy that is running towards Bhasauria mindsets, or outright amorphous pendu folk superstition, I understand why some thought they needed to be contained by simplistic concept of orthodoxy.  

I already said, the proBahmunh bits (which are small and easily detectable), are obviously the result of a fear of changing fortunes. They are actually contradicted by a lot of what else is contained therin. So they could be interpolations, or more likely just kneej erk statements that are easily identifiable and not in concert with the rest of the manuscript. 

If you think people take old rahits and try and follow them 'religiously' - well I've never met anyone doing so. Instead today they are more like historical curiosities for most. Or a window into our past.

Also, it's interesting how you rail against corrosive Anglo attempts at bastardising Sikhi either to promote colonial adherence or prioritise jatt prominence, but when something that undermines the underlying premise of the religion we follow is supposedly a thing of beauty and nuance worthy of further introspection! What?!? Absolute kekery.

Well firstly I don't think it's a religion, and secondly, that Bahmunh stuff has long been fully contained in the panth, but that can't be said about jut stupidity, which was obviously promoted because it made the panth easier to control by colonialists.  The former has long since passed to be a threat, the latter continues to drag us down. 

I just want to know who's wrong: the mainstream orthodoxy or Chaupa Singh. 

Take out the couple of blatantly pro-baahmunh things out of the Chaupa Singh rahit and I think you've got a more accurate representation of original Singhs and their culture compared to what a modern day giani would tell you - in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Take out the couple of blatantly pro-baahmunh things out of the Chaupa Singh rahit and I think you've got a more accurate representation of original Singhs and their culture compared to what a modern day giani would tell you - in my opinion. 

In that case today's gianis are bang out of order. 

36 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

In that case today's gianis are bang out of order. 

They are just products of their time. Do you ever hear any telling the sangat about panj hathiars that keep coming up in puraatan sources? How much studying do the sangats that they cater to, involve themselves in?

You know we had over a century of colonial subjugation that could not co-exist with real militant, weaponised Sikhi. 

We're just waking up to that. Gianis (from what I've seen) are usually scared they'll lose their position in a Gurdwara. 

19 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I assume you've read the rehatnama? It seems to have an uncomfortable heavy bias in favour of Brahmin culture and those who originate from Brahmin backgrounds.

It's one thing for village nobodies to self-aggrandise themselves and their particular castes and backgrounds for secular advancement and perks, but for an author to emerge and claim his work is a divinely inspired order when it repeatedly contradicts the fundamental values of the religion he supposedly belongs to is taking the pi55.

Chaupa Singh's origins was surprise surprise  brahmin ...and he was often corrected by Guru ji for his bias , my guess is he took advantadge of his position of hazoori sikh  to 'add' later his own thoughts about brahmins sikhs to the rehitnama.