• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59322766

Missing cat Big Ginge reunited with Birmingham couple after 10 years

Published
5 hours ago
Big GingeIMAGE SOURCE,COLIN CLAYTON
Image caption,
Big Ginge is now back at home on Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy's narrowboat

A couple have been reunited with their cat 10 years after he went missing from their narrowboat.

Big Ginge was last seen by owners Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy in 2011 while on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction - 25 miles from their Birmingham home.

Despite usually hopping on and off the boat, he disappeared and the couple registered him as missing.

They were shocked to receive a call to say he had been found in Staffordshire.

The couple's three cats, Weasel and her offspring Diesel and Big Ginge, then three, were used to living on the canal and went on and off the boat.

Mr Clayton said there had "never been an issue" with the cats finding their way home and then the other two cats came back without Big Ginge.

The couple stayed another five days searching before registering him as missing on his microchip.

Big GingeIMAGE SOURCE,COLIN CLAYTON/CATS PROTECTION
Image caption,
Big Ginge's identity was revealed thanks to a microchip implanted when he was young

Earlier this year, Cats Protection, Lichfield and Tamworth branch, said the team became aware of a stray in Lichfield, who they nicknamed Marmalade.

Sue Hocknell from the branch said: "Over time a local man fed him and gradually Marmalade began to trust him.

"I then got a call to say Marmalade had ventured into his flat and that he had a lump on his flank.

"I managed to get a quick vet appointment and that's when we discovered his true identity."

Canal boatIMAGE SOURCE,COLIN CLAYTON
Image caption,
The cat went missing while the couple were on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction

The lump was not found to be serious and Big Ginge is now back in his original home, but mystery surrounds where he has been over the last decade.

Mr Clayton added: "For now we will be keeping him indoors.

"Big Ginge has had enough stress in his life and we are confident it will all work out."

From BMJ

https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/11/01/cats-are-very-intuitive-and-sensitive

Cats are very intuitive and sensitive.

When I was working as a Geriatrician, when we still had long stay
beds in our hospitals, we had hospital cats at our main hospital and at
three peripheral ones. We noticed how often the cats would choose to sleep
on the beds of patients who were terminally ill. We thought this could be
because these patients did not move around so much, but after reading the
fascinating News item about Oscar the cat, I now think it may have been an
intuitive desire to give some sort of comfort to the patients who were
dying. I have experienced a friend's normally aloof cat which never sat on
laps, which came up to me and sat on my lap all afternoon when I was
distressed, and my own cats have always known when I was ill.

The nurses in one of our hospitals were concerned that patients and
relatives would be distressed by the cat's choosing to sleep on the beds
of patients who later died, so we had to rehome that cat. It is good to
read in your article that the "cat on the bed sign" was taken as a
positive and helpful marker rather than a negative one, and helped staff
members to prepare the familes for the impending death of the patient. Why
are we always so negative in this country? And why shy away from an
inevitable death? So much better to face it simply, pragmatically and
realistically, like animals do.
Eventually all our hospital cats were rehomed on health and safety
grounds, despite the fact that most patients loved having them there, and
of course soon after, all the long stay beds went too, but I am glad to
know that Nursing Homes still sometimes allow animals. We have so much in
common with animals, not least our mortality, and they have a way of
communicating which is beyond our usual ways and which we humans have
lost. They are far more intuitive than we realise, and more sensible too.

6 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

From BMJ

https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/11/01/cats-are-very-intuitive-and-sensitive

Cats are very intuitive and sensitive.

When I was working as a Geriatrician, when we still had long stay
beds in our hospitals, we had hospital cats at our main hospital and at
three peripheral ones. We noticed how often the cats would choose to sleep
on the beds of patients who were terminally ill. We thought this could be
because these patients did not move around so much, but after reading the
fascinating News item about Oscar the cat, I now think it may have been an
intuitive desire to give some sort of comfort to the patients who were
dying. I have experienced a friend's normally aloof cat which never sat on
laps, which came up to me and sat on my lap all afternoon when I was
distressed, and my own cats have always known when I was ill.

The nurses in one of our hospitals were concerned that patients and
relatives would be distressed by the cat's choosing to sleep on the beds
of patients who later died, so we had to rehome that cat. It is good to
read in your article that the "cat on the bed sign" was taken as a
positive and helpful marker rather than a negative one, and helped staff
members to prepare the familes for the impending death of the patient. Why
are we always so negative in this country? And why shy away from an
inevitable death? So much better to face it simply, pragmatically and
realistically, like animals do.
Eventually all our hospital cats were rehomed on health and safety
grounds, despite the fact that most patients loved having them there, and
of course soon after, all the long stay beds went too, but I am glad to
know that Nursing Homes still sometimes allow animals. We have so much in
common with animals, not least our mortality, and they have a way of
communicating which is beyond our usual ways and which we humans have
lost. They are far more intuitive than we realise, and more sensible too.

A close pal told me that when he had an operation and had to be bedridden for a while, the cat at his grandmother's house (where he was staying at the time) all of a sudden started sleeping under his bed.  She'd never done that before and he'd lived there for a couple of years before this. 

It's a fascinating topic. 

Plus look how long they can survive on their own when they go missing.  

6 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Be careful of billies, bro. I read they carry a parasite that affects human brain tissue where prolonged exposure to them leads to something that's not too far removed from mental illness. Put me off from getting one tbh.

Don't let that put you off if you want one bro. You can learn A LOT from observing billies. Plus good ones catch mice.

My one is starring at me as I write this. That parasite might have kicked in...... 

A book I read a few years ago

51sB5Um9RAL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Rounds-Oscar-Extraordinary-Ordinary/dp/1401323235/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

A tale based on the author's essay written for the New England Journal of Medicine shares his experiences of working with the elderly and a unique nursing-home cat whose uncanny, apparently precognitive vigils at the sides of residents who are about to die has enabled Steere House staffers to administer patient care and notice to loved ones

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6480137-making-rounds-with-oscar

They thought he was just a cat. When Oscar arrived at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Rhode Island he was a cute little guy with attitude. He loved to stretch out in a puddle of sunlight and chase his tail until he was dizzy. Occasionally he consented to a scratch behind the ears, but only when it suited him. In other words, he was a typical cat. Or so it seemed. It wasn't long before Oscar had created something of a stir. Apparently, this ordinary cat possesses an extraordinary gift: he knows instinctively when the end of life is near. Oscar is a welcome distraction for the residents of Steere House, many of whom are living with Alzheimer's. But he never spends much time with them -- until they are in their last hours.

Then, as if this were his job, Oscar strides purposely into a patient's room, curls up on the bed, and begins his vigil. Oscar provides comfort and companionship when people need him most. And his presence lets caregivers and loved ones know that it's time to say good-bye. Oscar's gift is a tender mercy. He teaches by example: embracing moments of life that so many of us shy away from. Making Rounds with Oscar is the story of an unusual cat, the patients he serves, their caregivers, and of one doctor who learned how to listen. Heartfelt, inspiring, and full of humor and pathos, this book allows readers to take a walk into a world rarely seen from the outside, a world we often misunderstand.