Badges of Bondage: The Conquest of the Sikh Mind (1847-1947 C.E.) Guru Fatha Singh Khalsa

In 1846 C.E., when they had defeated the Sikh nation of Punjab, the officers of the British East India company found themselves in charge of a vast tract of land inhabited by a proud people with a history of surviving political and religious oppression. The Khalsa Sikhs, the order of "saint-soldiers" founded by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699 had weathered Mughal oppression and rebounded from two ghallugharas, or "holocausts" (1746 and 1762). When the Sikh confederacy was joined together by Maharaja Ranjeet Singh in 1801, it governed a domain the size of France. The Punjab was the last part of the Indian subcontinent to fall to the British, and two short years later, the Khalsa would rise again for a second Anglo-Sikh war (1848-49) before settling in, mostly, as loyal vassals of the British Crown.

Badges of Bondage is an account of how the British managed to rule their Punjabi Sikh subjects for one hundred years. It is a story of their stratagems to diminish the beliefs and practices of their subjects, while presenting their own doctrines of government, education and justice, together with their race, culture and religion, as inherently superior. It is an historic account of self-assured agents of a Western power encountering a culture and people unlike any they had known: the Sikhs with their legendary thirst for fairness and their unmatched resilience in the face of adversity.

This book, first published in 1996 and now updated and illustrated with historic photos and paintings, is a story of the successes and failures of the British to cow the Sikhs into subservience. It is also the account of a spiritual nation that at times stood as one against schemes and strategies employed by their rulers and their stooges to prolong British dominance of the people of south Asia, by far the richest and most important part of their global empire.

Finally, this book is a preliminary assessment of long term effects, past India's proclamation of independence in 1947, of British rule on the habits, psyche and self-concept of Sikhs living today.

"Your essay makes very cogent reading and I enjoyed going through it. Your narration is powerful and effective." Professor Harbans Singh, The Encyclopedia of Sikhism, Punjabi University

"Thoughtful people everywhere will be touched by Guru Fatha Singh's concern, as also benefit from a reading of his first book. His first set of documented writings, succinct and neatly produced, explore the Sikh faith through history. His loyalty to the Guru's purpose is firm as a rock. His understanding of Gurbani is extraordinarily perceptive, and their rendering into English sensitively poetic. His objective in compiling the historic panorama is to re-awaken the true spirit of Khalsa." Sardar Saran Singh, editor, The Sikh Review, Kolkata

"The author rightly laments the surrender of the rich spiritual heritage of Sikhism to the so-called secular, materialistic and dehumanizing values of the West planted during British rule." Sardar Gurcharan Singh, Abstracts of Sikh Studies, Chandigarh

“I am writing on behalf of the Siri Singh Sahib. The Siri Singh Sahib really enjoyed reading your book and was appreciative of the work that you have put in. You seem to have done considerable research which is well-documented. I also found your writing style comfortable to read, and it held my interest throughout. I felt your approach is sound, for while it does not actually point fingers and place blame, it makes clear that Sikhs themselves are accountable and responsible for their circumstances.” Singh Sahib Gurutej Singh Khalsa, Founder, Akal Security

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badges-Bondage-Conquest-1847-1947-C-ebook/dp/B08TBRNX95/ref=sr_1_291?dchild=1&keywords=sikh&qid=1630190127&s=books&sr=1-291

1 minute ago, MisterrSingh said:

I think the E-book version is £7.

I've been gradually switching over to digital books for the past couple of years.

I can't see an ebook version on the site myself? If it were £7 I'd jump on it now. 

I've been using ebooks myself lately. They are really handy to share stuff without having to scan pages.  

8 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I can't see an ebook version on the site myself? If it were £7 I'd jump on it now. 

I've been using ebooks myself lately. They are really handy to share stuff without having to scan pages.  

It's Kindle. Same thing. There's the paperback and across to the left is the Kindle / e-book version. Middle of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...