I’m Sikh and after 9/11 I was accused of being a terrorist for wearing a turban

Premi5

Post 9/11 had to be some of the most uncomfortable journey's i ever took on the train into work, a few day's after it happened when the news was blazoned with images of Al-Qaeda people would just stare which, in a way, was way worse that someone saying something, this was in the UK.

I visited New York with my wife 2 years after 9/11, we were there on holiday and visited the memorial site as it was originally (a huge pit with chain-link fencing with flowers and photo's of those who had passed attached to it), irrelevant of what people around us were doing (you could feel peoples stares burning in the back of your head) there were plenty of people there not staring or being judgemental, we payed our respects and left, on a personal note it's a moment in my life I'll never forget, standing there showed how cruel we can be as human beings.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, Premi5 said:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/chandigarh-news/punjaborigin-mp-condemns-killing-of-23-yr-old-sikh-youth-in-canada-101631202234674.html

Punjab-origin MP condemns killing of 23-yr-old Sikh youth in Canada

Prabhjot Singh Katri, 23, was found murdered at an apartment in Truro town on Sunday in a suspected case of racially-motivated hate crime
By Press Trust of India, Toronto
PUBLISHED ON SEP 09, 2021 09:13 PM IST

An Indo-Canadian lawmaker on Thursday condemned the murder of an Indian youth in Canada’s Nova Scotia province, saying hate, violence and racism have no place in the country and the fight to eradicate these menaces must continue.

Prabhjot Singh Katri, who worked for a taxi service company as well as one or two restaurants in Truro, had come to Canada from India in 2017 to study. (Twitter)

Prabhjot Singh Katri, 23, was found murdered at an apartment in Truro town on Sunday in a suspected case of racially-motivated hate crime.

Katri, who worked for a taxi service company as well as one or two restaurants in Truro, had come to Canada from India in 2017 to study.

“My heart goes out to the family and loved ones of Prabhjot Singh Katri who was killed in Truro, NS. This is an unacceptable act of hate,” tweeted Sonia Sidhu, member of parliament for Brampton South.

“Hate, online hate, violence and racism have no place in our country and we must continue our fight to eradicate it,” the 53-year-old parliamentarian added.

According to a CBC Canada report, police are treating the death as a homicide. A man was arrested in connection with the murder but was later released.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/candlelight-vigil-prabhjot-singh-katri-truro-1.6171332

'We need justice': Hundreds of Truro residents hold vigil for Prabhjot Singh Katri

Police say they are treating the 23-year-old man's death as a homicide

CBC News · Posted: Sep 10, 2021 3:34 PM AT | Last Updated: September 11

prabhjot-singh-vigil.jpeg
A candlelight vigil was held in Truro for Prabhjot Singh Katri. (Gareth Hampshire/CBC)

A candlelight vigil for Prabhjot Singh Katri, the 23-year-old who was found dead at a Truro apartment early last Sunday, was held Friday evening in the Nova Scotia town.

Truro police are treating his death as a homicide and have met with representatives of the Sikh community, of which he was a member. They arrested a man as a suspect, but released him. Police say they are still investigating. 

The Truro resident came to Canada from Punjab, India, in 2017.

Speaking during the vigil, his grief-stricken sister Rajveer Kaur said the family came to Canada to make money to send back home.

"We need justice and that's why so many people came here: to get justice," she said.

candlelight-vigil-truro.jpeg
Many of the people attending the vigil held signs calling for justice (Gareth Hampshire/CBC)

Agampal Singh, a friend of the victim, said the community believes police were doing their best to get justice.

He said the turnout of about 500 people, by police estimates, was a sign that everyone was concerned about their safety.

"It's not just for the Indian community, it is for everybody, because no one is safe here," Singh said.

Joban Beed, another friend attending the vigil, described the victim as a  "nice guy and a very hard-working person."

Simardeep Hundal, president of the Maritime Sikh Society, said the Sikh community is in shock and the killing is causing stress and anxiety for younger members.

"People are mourning, they are in grief, they are in shock and very disheartened — some of the young people need a lot of support."

The vigil started at 6 p.m. at Truro Mall at 245 Robie St. and ends at 494 Robie St., the building where his body was found. 

"It's a vigil to remind everyone that every life matters and we all need to be kind and inclusive to each other," Hundal said.