Sikhi and Mental Health

bsbk123

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

One Post from www.thelivingtreasure.org for Sangat Review and comments jee. Sangat can also give their views on ww.thelivingtreasure.org discussion forum.

------------------

I work in the mental health field and often with migrant Sikhs who are suffering from much distress and harmful behaviours. In this distress I often hear and notice a spiritual disconnection and try and help in some way. This has got me wondering about (1) what 'Sikhism' says about what is mental distress / illness / problems and (2) what advice it offers in coping with it? (3) Perhaps discussants might wish to share how they use their sense of Sikhee to cope too? Any thoughts on this matter would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Kamaldeep Singh

----------------------

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru .. pray.gif waheguru pray.gif waheguru pray.gif

i was sick for about two months or so.. and the doctors had said that if i don get better soon.. they'll have to do surgery.. :D

but...this baba ji told me to recite the shabad...

"mera baid guru govinda

har har naam aukhad mukh devae

kate jam ki fanda..."

i got better with guru kirpa.. ^_^

so my suggestion would be the same as raz veerji..

"naam simran" ate "bani" pray.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I too agree that "Sarab Rog Ka Aukhad (cure) Naam" but Sadh Sangat Jee how a Sikh Doctor can use Naam along with medical treatment to cure a Sikh or non Sikh patient suffering from any mental disease ?

And Simran Kaur Bhanjee who is that Baba Jee ?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Awhile ago, Daas had bad mental problems. I left high school, and just sat at home, sometimes I would just be laying on the floor drooling, I had no will to move, my mind was gone, i even thought of killing myself more than once. The doctors tried every drug possible on me. (I think it was at least 15 diff kinds).

Nothing worked, everything had side effects. But Guru sahib did kirpa on me, I began a strict amritvela rehat, and soon, for the first time in my life i could remember.. I was happy. I felt so good, so alive.. soon i started a strict sarbloh rehat..

lately it feels like some of it is coming back, in the back of my head, but that is because i have had trouble keeping amritvela rehat. Amritvela rehat is one of the hardest to keep rehats in sikhi, but also one of the most important. All power is in amritvela and naam. Doing naam simran during amritvela, even for 5 minutes, has so much power, you could never do that amount of naam with that power over months during day time etc..

I also have a friend where a similar thing happened to him.. it seems that naam/sarbloh hasnt helped him completely (it did for awhile) only he knows about his personal rehat, but along with some medications, he has gotten quite a bit better. He was a very severe case though.

So here I am, personal testament to the power of guru jee. BUT i still have a long way to go, and am no gursikh myself. I hope this personal experience helps someone...

Just to add a few bit... Amritvela makes a person sharp, disciplined and very organized.. Since this monday, im getting up from my bed, taking bath and all stuff done before 6am and doing all panj bania makes person feel like he accomplished something good.. and it has a very cool effect on me.. Im gald that im doing that.. so is my friend who started the same routine along with me grin.gif I do get depressed sometime, like when im not able to do stuff on time etc.. but i guess that will end by my new routine... will seee...

What kind of mental health problems that young sikhs do face today?

1) School courses / Parents hopes of seeing their children as professional.. U know what i mean..

2) bf/gf stuff (while they are single)

3) Personal feature (Thinks of himself/herself as not beautiful with sikhi appearance, but still keep it cauz of parents and stuff)

and so on... I think the above are major stuff that one can notice around in our society

Guest SikhForLife

mkhalsa veerji u have gone a long way.. may waheguru be always with you!

i have noticed this too.. if i dont wake up early in the morning.. my entire days goes to waste.. i dont feel like taking shower.. etc etc.. (vacation time)

vicky veer.. u forgot to add Society as a major stress causing thing for sikhs..

sometimes its hard for people to know their palce in this world..

western culture and sikhi really cant go together.. and it takes its toll on the youth.. it does on me sometimes

I love keeping amritvela rehit.. i really don't need so much sleep..

But i'm used to someone waking me up...

so i kinda depend on my parents .. if they don't wake me up i won't wake up.. simple as that..

we started going to simran saturday and sunday mornings 4:00 to 6:00 .. then i dunnno.. my dad ji started going to work at different time and he was tred when he got home.. didn wake me up.. but even if he did .. it's not like i can drive..

o yea thats my story..

yea.. at gurmat camp today veerji told us that wen we go to sleep.. do ardas to waheguru ji .. instead of your parents...

gonna try that.. makes sence.. and sure it'll work..

bhul chuk muaaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh