New Punjab CM is first "Sikh" CM with a trimmed beard (and nobody bats an eye)

californiasardar1

On 3/22/2022 at 3:26 PM, californiasardar1 said:

Anyway, I expect this to basically be the death knell for the importance of the Singh image in Sikh politics. For example, the Akali Dal will now feel free to stop pretending to be panthic and put forward a bunch of mona candidates.

Great. I hope the Badal "Akali" Dal does do so to cement its decline.

Meanwhile the "real" Akali Dal, Akali Dal Amritsar, created in Amritsar in 1994 or so at the behest of the Akal Takhat Jathedar can come to the fore as the representative of Sikhs.

In addition, please remember that the electorate of Punjab is barely majority Sikh. This was not Sikhs voting among themselves.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:17 AM, BhForce said:

Bro, I agree it would be great to have an observant Sikh leader of our political unit. But our political unit is not Sarkar-e-Khalsa (the Sikh Raj). It is a province in the Hindu dominated "Republic of India".

For a while we had incompetent, sell-out keshadhari "Sikhs" as CMs because that's all the system would allow. Any non-sellout would be dismissed and President's Rule imposed.

In addition, there wasn't a choice between a reform candidate with cut beard and a reform candidate with a 2 ft beard and kirpan. The others were just the same rishvatkhor (bribe-takers) that we've seen over the past 50 years.

I completely agree that not cutting hair needs to be encouraged among Sikhs, but what is your plan to do so?

I understand what the choices were and why people voted for Bhagwant Mann. I would have voted for him before I voted for the Badals, despite the Badals being keshdhari.

But this thread isn't about the choice people made given who was on the ballot. This is about the fact that a mona CM was even possible, and what that says about the Sikh community.

20-30 years ago, Bhagwant Mann would have had to become a proper Singh if he dreamed of becoming CM. There would not have even been a legitimate mona or "trim singh" candidate. Everyone would known that only a "proper singh" would be taken seriously and accepted as the CM by the Sikh community. So EVERY CM candidate, ranging from sincere and panthic-minded to corrupt and dishonest, would have been a singh.

As I said, it symbolizes the erosion of basic standards in the Sikh community.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:34 PM, Redoptics said:

From what I am aware,  you can be Sikh without having the 5 ks, the 5 ks are for the Khalsa panth, taken amrit. Do you know if the guy has taken amrit?

That's great news!

Now I know that if you aren't an amritdhari Sikh, following rehit is not important in Sikhi. Thank you for clarifying!

I can't wait to book the first flight to Amsterdam!

On 3/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, BhForce said:

Bro, I agree it would be great to have an observant Sikh leader of our political unit. But our political unit is not Sarkar-e-Khalsa (the Sikh Raj). It is a province in the Hindu dominated "Republic of India".

For a while we had incompetent, sell-out keshadhari "Sikhs" as CMs because that's all the system would allow. Any non-sellout would be dismissed and President's Rule imposed.

In addition, there wasn't a choice between a reform candidate with cut beard and a reform candidate with a 2 ft beard and kirpan. The others were just the same rishvatkhor (bribe-takers) that we've seen over the past 50 years.

I completely agree that not cutting hair needs to be encouraged among Sikhs, but what is your plan to do so?

Have to inspire people. 

13 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

Everyone would known that only a "proper singh" would be taken seriously and accepted as the CM by the Sikh community. So EVERY CM candidate, ranging from sincere and panthic-minded to corrupt and dishonest, would have been a singh.

As I said, it symbolizes the erosion of basic standards in the Sikh community.

OK, I see what you're saying. It's not that you're complaining that Sikhs deliberately voted for a trimmer. It's that the entire landscape has changed.

Regarding the landscape, that was changed by the govt. For one thing, the Indian Constitution gives minorities the right to manage their institutions without govt interference.

But, the Supreme Court has ruled that because Sikhs are a majority in Punjab they aren't a minority there!

The SGPC, instead of arguing against this ridiculous decision, actually argued that actually Amritdhari Sikhs are a minority and that's why the Committe should be able to continue to manage its affairs.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:08 AM, californiasardar1 said:

Stupid Punjabi Logic:

Me: Doing X is good for you

Stupid Punjabi: But person A does X and they are a bad person! Therefore doing X is meaningless.

I suppose I should start eating meat since Hitler was a vegetarian!

Foo doo logic - someone who does X is automatically a better and more trustworthy person than someone who doesn't. 

3 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Foo doo logic - someone who does X is automatically a better and more trustworthy person than someone who doesn't. 

I have never said anything like that. On the contrary, look at my post saying I'd rather vote for Bhagwant Mann than the Badals.

What I am saying, to make it crystal clear for you, is:

Person A doing thing X is a better situation than person A not doing thing X