If all Sikhs returned to Punjab and India ?

Premi5

25 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Can people hack with starting from scratch though. 

People are too comfortable to move there.

It would be something drastic to make it a viable option. 

If you're of the mind that you're NOT going back and you're definitely going to make things work, i.e. absolute stubborness in a somewhat positive way, you'll have no choice but to stick it out. But how many people are capable of this one-track determination, especially when having to deal with married partners who don't share that same mentality, or when you're trying to placate pampered children who've known nothing but first-world luxury? It's an uphill struggle. That's when you start to separate the bundeh from the bachche, and you realise the extent to which someone's religious belief is genuine and heartfelt that breaches the surface, compared to what they call a "summer patriot" i.e. a person whose temperament and faith is circumstantial and seems to thrive only when times are good.

To answer your question: if our demographic had to go now when things are relatively okay in the West, many wouldn't "feel" the needle of necessity to make things work over there. They'd be like, "Oh well, I'll try my best. If things don't work out I can always go back." If, however, we had to return because, for argument's sake, we were being hunted by alien beings intent on terminating every Sikh in the West, lmao, then you'd find the adrenaline in that situation would carry you into doing things that you'd previously feel were beyond you. There's no going back waving a British passport in that situation. So you try your darndest to make a new life over there. I really do think people are capable of adapting to the harshest of circumstances depending on their mental state of being.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

If you're of the mind that you're NOT going back and you're definitely going to make things work, i.e. absolute stubborness in a somewhat positive way, you'll have no choice but to stick it out. But how many people are capable of this one-track determination, especially when having to deal with married partners who don't share that same mentality, or when you're trying to placate pampered children who've known nothing but first-world luxury? It's an uphill struggle. That's when you start to separate the bundeh from the bachche, and you realise the extent to which someone's religious belief is genuine and heartfelt that breaches the surface, compared to what they call a "summer patriot" i.e. a person whose temperament and faith is circumstantial and seems to thrive only when times are good.

To answer your question: if our demographic had to go now when things are relatively okay in the West, many wouldn't "feel" the needle of necessity to make things work over there. They'd be like, "Oh well, I'll try my best. If things don't work out I can always go back." If, however, we had to return because, for argument's sake, we were being hunted by alien beings intent on terminating every Sikh in the West, lmao, then you'd find the adrenaline in that situation would carry you into doing things that you'd previously feel were beyond you. There's no going back waving a British passport in that situation. So you try your darndest to make a new life over there. I really do think people are capable of adapting to the harshest of circumstances depending on their mental state of being.

Do you think we'd create a new strata of society there? Or would we just merge into the majority? 

We have certain tastes now, that desis don't. My feeling is that people would also replicate aspects of the country they left, so cafes, pubs, restaurants. I'd imagine even new builds for the 'refugees' might reflect the architecture of where they grew up. 

Can I have guns there? 

If you think about it, in the above hypothetical scene, we'd have hordes of skilled and experienced people over there. From doctors, surgeons, architects, nurses, teachers, various types of engineers. 

Are we talking about an independent Sikh homeland Panjab here? Or the current one in India?

28 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Can I have guns there? 

Are we talking about an independent Sikh homeland Panjab here? Or the current one in India?

Guns - yes, maybe not legally, but many carry them for security

My original post was meant to look at it mainly as 'what would happen' in terms of the dynamics of the Sikh vs rest of India relationship with the relatively stable situation as it is. But, also to see what opinions are as to what would this resettlement of Sikhs would mean  - would Sikhs stand up for their rights more? Would central govt start making moves to keep Sikhs in line ?

36 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Guns - yes, maybe not legally, but many carry them for security

My original post was meant to look at it mainly as 'what would happen' in terms of the dynamics of the Sikh vs rest of India relationship with the relatively stable situation as it is. But, also to see what opinions are as to what would this resettlement of Sikhs would mean  - would Sikhs stand up for their rights more? Would central govt start making moves to keep Sikhs in line ?

In india or uk? The gun laws?

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Do you think we'd create a new strata of society there? Or would we just merge into the majority? 

We have certain tastes now, that desis don't. My feeling is that people would also replicate aspects of the country they left, so cafes, pubs, restaurants. I'd imagine even new builds for the 'refugees' might reflect the architecture of where they grew up. 

Can I have guns there? 

If you think about it, in the above hypothetical scene, we'd have hordes of skilled and experienced people over there. From doctors, surgeons, architects, nurses, teachers, various types of engineers. 

It's tough to say. I think there'd be a variety of behaviour on a wide spectrum; some who err towards the more religiously spiritual side of things where an authentic and grounded lifestyle of "becoming" inseparable from the locals would be a priority. Others would probably emulate the British ex-pat mentality where they try to create a British-Sikh enclave that serves to have the best of both worlds while still maintaining their position as outsiders. The utterly Westernised amongst us wouldn't even bother going out there, lol. Regardless, the locals would never stop reminding us that we aren't like them. That would probably annoy and eventually disillusion some of the naive and hopeful ones among us who'd assume they'd gradually be accepted as one of them over time.

However, regardless of what "we" want in either of the aforementioned instances, I think the need to truly understand the innate Indian way of doing things and that place's collective mentality is essential. I read a sociology book a while ago about India being comparable to a huge snake that gradually swallows or subsumes every culture, belief system, etc., in its path, leaving its mark of Indianness on even the most alien of things to that country. I really think that's true. You don't notice it when you're living in it and surrounded by it, but once you step away for a while and return, you really do notice how that place and its ways have managed to get under your skin.

Punjab's GDP was $70 billion in 2020. If we take the example of UK Sikhs, I would estimate that each UK Sikh if they were to liquidate their property, their investments and their goods, each one would be worth about £100,000, that's taking account of the fact that many families who have been established here for more than 50 years are worth over a £1 million while the recent arrivals might only be worth a few thousand pounds, As the census showed, Sikhs have a higher level of property ownership (over 80%) then even the white population. In the UK property have grown hugely over the years. Taking the average of £100,000 then UK Sikhs have to potential to pump in $70 billion into Punjab about the same as the GDP. If the average of the UK is taken for the whole of the diaspora then this would mean the diaspora could potentially pump in $280 billion into Punjab in one go, four times the current GDP of Punjab if the diaspora were to return to Punjab.