People in UK will you be voting?

Singh1989

16 minutes ago, proactive said:

If you believe in Khalsa Raj then you should be voting for this, just to show the Indian govt that you believe in Sikh freedom. If you think Sikhs should remain slaves in India then you can ask 'What's the point?' 

I t’s not a real election or referendum.  i don’t think Indian Govt will take much notice of this 

But, It might just increase oppression of Sikhs in India and prevent some from going back or being imprisoned like Jaggi Singh Johal.

Not to prolong this thread unnecessarily but if this referendum polled Punjabi Sikhs, only a small minority would vote for it

19 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I t’s not a real election or referendum.  i don’t think Indian Govt will take much notice of this 

But, It might just increase oppression of Sikhs in India and prevent some from going back or being imprisoned like Jaggi Singh Johal.

Not to prolong this thread unnecessarily but if this referendum polled Punjabi Sikhs, only a small minority would vote for it

Indian govt is taking this very seriously, because even some may look at Pannu as some fool working for the Pakistanis, his attempt to reframe the Khalistan movement from being a movement aimed at setting up a theocratic state through the use of violence into a movement aimed at decolonialising Punjab and as a movement of a indigenous people against the colonial rule of India has disturbed the Indian state more than any Dal Khalsa candlelit marches. This reframing has taken place at exactly the same time that the Indian govt's mask for being a democratic state has been exposed. The Khalistan movement can now be presented as a movement by the people of Punjab against an oppressive and fascist government. 

As for what support is like in Punjab, take away the Indian state's oppressive organs such as the army, the police and the bureaucracy, have a referendum under the UN and you will be very surprised at what the result will be. 

3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

i don’t think Indian Govt will take much notice of this 

I am confused about your opinion. Do you think India will take notice and oppress Indian sikhs, or they won't take much notice?

3 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

I am confused about your opinion. Do you think India will take notice and oppress Indian sikhs, or they won't take much notice?

Ok, should have worded differently

indian Sikhs won’t care much, prob Indian Govt the same. But if this ‘referendum’ became big news in India the govt might start to oppress Sikhs more

I think the challenge is that the word Khalistan has been dragged through the mud by the government mouthpiece media in India.

Say “Khalistan” and the brain registers anti-India, anti-Hindu, pro-Pakistan and pro-Muslim.  

We need to dissociate this imagery. There are plenty of other nations within South Asia that exist perfectly well and our land should be seen the same. For example, Hindus don’t hate Nepal for being an independent Hindu-majority nation right along its northern border, where it could very well fit into the Indian republic.

We need to covey to Hindu India that we don’t hate them, we don’t hate India, and wish them no harm. We want to exit independently as equal neighbours just like their other neighbours (apart from Pakistan, obviously!).

We also need to somehow convince our Punjabi Hindus that their prosperity and security will not deteriorate in an independent Punjab/Khalistan. It’s tough, but it needs to be done.

Lastly, I think it’s a big mistake to align with Pakistan, even at a superficial level.

13 hours ago, Jai Tegang! said:

Lastly, I think it’s a big mistake to align with Pakistan, even at a superficial level.

The old-timers pulling the strings in the background would rather die before they ever relinquish this policy. They've got it into their heads that Pakistani alignment (on the part of Sikhs) would hurt India, therefore job done. To a certain degree they are correct, but as usual our short-sightedness is unable to see the end implications of such a relationship.

We bring NOTHING to the table; we have NO leverage, NO power, NO anything. The only thing we can bargain away are potential future gains that would be snatched away from us at the negotiation stage; effectively, we'd give away something before we'd even obtained it on the basis of a promise that could easily be broken. For that reason this so-called leadership is to our detriment, not our benefit.