Can Paath be done while taking a bath?

Guest Guest

Guest Paapi guy

From what I have heard, Doing ‘Gur Mantar’ or ‘Mool Mantar’ or reading other Baanee while doing ishnaan is necessary. But, you can only start your Nitnem after your Ishnaan is complete and after you have changed your kacherra. 

?? :) 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Actually it depends on the Sikh.

Akjs believe that nitnem must be done sitting all in one go. And must be done outloud similar to during amrit sinchaar.

But thankfully I wasn't told this by the panj cuz I do my nitnem whilst driving. Not ideal but what can you do?

AKJ does not believe that doing nitnem out loud is a must. I was told by panj (AKJ) that nitnem should be done aloud in the beginning stages, so the mind is focused; once surti is strong, nitnem is encouraged to do in surti, or bani read aloud, and surti should be engaged in Naam Simran simultaneously.

OP guru Ji says Naam Simran should be done 24/7:

ਮਃ ੪ ॥
Fourth Mehla:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master are kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree - 305

The first pangti Maharaj tells us to jap Naam, then Maharaj says to have an ishnaan at Amritsar, then to jap naam sitting down. A big lesson is given here. guru sahib has mentioned three "different types of Simran":

1. upon waking up at amritvela, the moment your eyes open, you should start your Simran. 

2. Maharaj then says to have an ishnaan at Amritsar. How can we have an ishnaan at Amritsar if we don't live near harmandir sahib? Maharaj has given us the blessing of having an ishnaan equivalent to that at Amritsar if were are japing Naam or reciting bani at the same time. Why is harmandir sahib Sarovar considered Amritsar? Because there is bani 24/7 there and the water absorbs that bani, in the same way, if we have ishnaan at amritvela while reciting Naam or bani, then Maharaj has told us that due to paras kalaa of Naam bani, the water will absorb naam. It will be as though you have had an Ishaan at Amritsar! Dhan Dhan Guru Raam Daas Ji!

3. then, to jap naam sitting down for at least two hours, all sins will be washed away. 

Then we will recite our nitnem at sunrise and continue to jap naam all day. Maharaj has mentioned Naam Simran 5 times in this Shabad; Naam Simran is that important. every ang mentions Naam in Guru Granth Sahib, every ang! Unfortunately, the panth has forgotten Naam Simran and are just happy to read their panj baniyan, lol. 

But to answer your question: yes, according to guru Raam daas Ji, you should.  

These amolak bachan were told to daas by panj pyaare. 

21 hours ago, 1Anonymous1 said:

AKJ does not believe that doing nitnem out loud is a must. I was told by panj (AKJ) that nitnem should be done aloud in the beginning stages, so the mind is focused; once surti is strong, nitnem is encouraged to do in surti, or bani read aloud, and surti should be engaged in Naam Simran simultaneously.

OP guru Ji says Naam Simran should be done 24/7:

ਮਃ ੪ ॥
Fourth Mehla:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master are kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree - 305

The first pangti Maharaj tells us to jap Naam, then Maharaj says to have an ishnaan at Amritsar, then to jap naam sitting down. A big lesson is given here. guru sahib has mentioned three "different types of Simran":

1. upon waking up at amritvela, the moment your eyes open, you should start your Simran. 

2. Maharaj then says to have an ishnaan at Amritsar. How can we have an ishnaan at Amritsar if we don't live near harmandir sahib? Maharaj has given us the blessing of having an ishnaan equivalent to that at Amritsar if were are japing Naam or reciting bani at the same time. Why is harmandir sahib Sarovar considered Amritsar? Because there is bani 24/7 there and the water absorbs that bani, in the same way, if we have ishnaan at amritvela while reciting Naam or bani, then Maharaj has told us that due to paras kalaa of Naam bani, the water will absorb naam. It will be as though you have had an Ishaan at Amritsar! Dhan Dhan Guru Raam Daas Ji!

3. then, to jap naam sitting down for at least two hours, all sins will be washed away. 

Then we will recite our nitnem at sunrise and continue to jap naam all day. Maharaj has mentioned Naam Simran 5 times in this Shabad; Naam Simran is that important. every ang mentions Naam in Guru Granth Sahib, every ang! Unfortunately, the panth has forgotten Naam Simran and are just happy to read their panj baniyan, lol. 

But to answer your question: yes, according to guru Raam daas Ji, you should.  

These amolak bachan were told to daas by panj pyaare. 

Nice input. 

• 4 weeks later...

ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਵਰਣਮਾਲਾ ਦੇ ਨਿਤਨੇਮ ਦਾ ਮਹਾਤਮ

ਸੱਚਖੰਡਵਾਸੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਾਬਾ ਮਿੱਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਸੇਵਾਦਾਰ ਮਾਤਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇਵਾਂ ਜੀ ਨੰਦੇੜ ਤੇ ਸੱਚਖੰਡਵਾਸੀ ਸੰਤ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਗੁਰਬਚਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਅਤੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮਿਸਲ ਸ਼ਹੀਦਾਂ ਤਰਨਾਦਲ ਦੇ ਬਾਰਵੇਂ ਮੁਖੀ ਸੱਚਖੰਡਵਾਸੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਬਾਬਾ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਪੁਰਾਤਨ ਮਰਯਾਦਾ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਵੇਲੇ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਵਰਣਮਾਲਾ ਦੇ ਪੈਂਤੀ ਅੱਖਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਜਾਪੁ ਕਰਿਆ ਕਰਦੇ ਸਨ ਅਤੇ ਬਾਬਾ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਪੈਂਤੀ ਅੱਖਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਬਾਰੇ ਇਹ ਵੀ ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਸਨ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਲੋਕ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਦੁਨਿਆਵੀ, ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਗਿਆਨ ਤੋਂ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਗਿਆਨ ਤੱਕ ਦਾ ਖਜਾਨਾ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਪੈਂਤੀ ਅੱਖਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸਮੋਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ ।ਜੋ ਵੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਵੇਲੇ ਉੱਠ ਕੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਵਰਣਮਾਲਾ ਦੇ ਪੈਂਤੀ ਅਖਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਜਾਪੁ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਵੀ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਵੀ ਘਾਟਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਬਾਬਾ ਜੀ ਇਹ ਵੀ ਕਿਹਾ ਕਰਦੇ ਸਨ ਕਿ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ! ਊੜਾ ਤੇ ਜੂੜਾ .ਖਾਲਸੇ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ ਹੈ। .ਖਾਲਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਕਦੇ ਵੇ ਇਸ ਤੋਂ ਬੇਮੁਖ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਂਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ।

ਸ੍ਰੋਤ – ਸੰਪ੍ਰਦਾਈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਉਚਾਰਣ ਬੋਧ , ਗਿਆਨੀ ਗੁਰਵਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

The Greatness Of Gurmukhi Varanmala

Singh Sahib Jathedar Baba Mitt Singh Ji (Sevadar Mata Sahib Devan Ji Nanded), Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale and Jathedar Baba Bishan Singh Ji (12th Mukhi of Misl Shaheedan Tarna Dal) were all known to do jaap of the Gurmukhi Varanmala (alphabet). Baba Bishan Singh Ji was known to do Jaap of the Varanmala whenever they would have Ishnaan at Amritvela. When Gursikhs asked the reason for doing so Baba Ji would say, “All knowledge, be it from worldly knowledge to Brahamgiaan, is contained in the 35 Akhars of Gurmukhi. Whoever awakes at Amrit Vela and does Jaap of the Gurmukhi Varanmala, they never face any shortage.” Baba Ji would say that the Gurmukhi Alphabet and Kes are the life force of every Khalsa. A Khalsa should never turn their back on either of these.

Source – Sampardai Gurbani Ucharan Bodh by Giani Gurwinder Singh Ji

Hopefully this helps, copy and pasted from a article that this topic reminded me of (from nihung santhia) 

The Greatness Of Gurmukhi Varanmala (nihungsanthia.com)

ea5a9a_db857839d27149029aaa4361dff2174b~mv2.webp