Is "Sikhni" an appropriate word to refer to Sikh women?

Guest 1119

3 hours ago, 5aaban said:

In Malwa another word is Juaakri for young girls and daughters. Comes from Juaak, meaning child (any regardless of gender) 

I remember this one. It was also used as a subtle insult by one bloke to another younger one. As in you are a juaak that's why you don't know x,y and z.  

Never heard juaakri before though. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Hindi creeps in especially for technical terms. Eg ਟੱਬਰ is what uneducated/rural Panjabis would use while educated ones prefer ਪਰਿਵਾਰ. Dailay refers to the eyeballs, not eyes. Kaalja means liver

I've heard it in Punjab as well. We'll be hearing it more often there since <banned word filter activated> have grown exponentially and the mainstream Muslah worshipping liberal Sikhs wi

Yeah that interchangeable thing is very interesting. My nani was frequently called biji by my mom and masi? What I've realised from reading previous posts is that in one generation a families lex

2 hours ago, 5aaban said:

Hindi has a word called Buriya (old woman). But Buddi is an exclusive Panjabi word not Hindi. 

Similarily, Gaddi (car) is a Panjabi word and "Gaaadi" is a Hindi word, Buddi is a Panjabi word and "Boodi" is Hindi. 

Maybe they fused Buddhi and Burrhi together and came with Budhrhee? 

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I remember this one. It was also used as a subtle insult by one bloke to another younger one. As in you are a juaak that's why you don't know x,y and z.  

Never heard juaakri before though. 

Juaakri is specifically used for female children/young girls but Juaak can also be used for them. 

• Like 2
On 2/4/2022 at 10:09 AM, dallysingh101 said:

What's bebe actually meant to mean? My dadhi was called this? 

Bebe is used in Panjabi to refer to old women/grandmothers/wise old women. Bibi is another word for old women/grandmothers but not specifically limited to those definitions.  

Bebe is also used for mother but this usage is declining as people begin to use mum, mummy etc. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 5aaban said:

Bebe is used in Panjabi to refer to old women/grandmothers/wise old women. Bibi can also be used for old women/grandmothers. 

Bebe is also used for mother but this usage is declining as we begin to use mum, mummy etc. 

I think 'baba' is a turkish loan word that meant 'father' in the original language but means other things in Panjabi now. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think 'baba' is a turkish loan word that meant 'father' in the original language but means other things in Panjabi now. 

Yes Baba is a loan word that arab friends used for father.

We use it to refer to old men and granfathers in Panjabi. 

• Like 1
Just now, 5aaban said:

Yes Baba is a loan word, my arab friends used for father.

We use it to refer to old men and granfathers in Panjabi. 

It's interesting to note how long before being called Guru Nanak Dev ji, they were called Baba Nanak - like in puratan Janam Sakhis. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, SikhKosh said:

Buddhi is used by some Majhails and a majority of Paki Punjabis to denote their wives. I've seen many Pak Punjabis say 'meri budhee' this that, I always struggle to keep a straight face when they say it.

More needs to be done to preserve the beautiful variants, synonyms or homonyms in Punjab. Panjabdigilib makes some nices posters with akhaan (sayings) and posts them online.

The same word can have different meanings in different parts of Punjab, Majhails say phaji to bhanoya (brother in law) while Doabis (and others) use it for their brother. 

We in Doaba used to call clothes 'talley', haldi (turmeric) was 'basaar', baingans were bataoo (not only in Doaba though).

Funnily grating is called kadu kas(h) in some Punjabi areas while it is called billi kash (eww) in others.

There should be a topic on unique words from everyone's dialect so others are aware as well as some original 'theth' Panjabi words to expand vocabulary. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, SikhKosh said:

We in Doaba used to call clothes 'talley', haldi (turmeric) was 'basaar', baingans were bataoo (not only in Doaba though).

we still use bataoo, and we still have a saying "bataoo kadi na khaoo, kareley do veley

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

What's bebe actually meant to mean? My dadhi was called this? 

i heard from a majhail dhadi that bebe was used for sister in older times. it's interesting how interchangeable these words are. We used to call our grandma bebe, while my doabia mates would call their's as bibi. Others i've heard use biji. 

• Like 2