Dead zameer (conscience)

TuhadaDaas

15 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Not the Gurdwara but the Panth itself. The Gurdwara is irrelevant.

That's a sad truth. The majority of apnay lokh aren't getting any solid education on their identity from there these days. Probably been a while that this is going on.  

The reality is that anyone even half intelligent, genuinely curious and interested in Sikhi would probably get more info from the internet and quicker too.  

20 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

are mediocre to useless even those who've set themselves up as bearers of knowledge and scriptures. Most people reading this will immediately leap to the conclusion that to rectify this downward trend we need to be more religiously observant or stringent in our practices, but that's not the solution. I don't believe there is a solution in as much as "saving" anything. You've just got to let it happen and see where the pieces fall.

I don't completely agree they are useless, but the quantity of 'strong' Sikhs is low. And often the 'strong' ones are naiive or can be too friendly with other hostile communities. Ravi Singh Khalsa Aid is one example in my mind. 

I see your point now about Pakistani Muslims and how they are more conservative etc. Too many Punjabi Sikhs are too much the other way in pursuit of maya and see religion of much lower importance. 

Also, many Sikhs make fun of the ones that are in proper roop, calling them 'Giani' etc. This is common even more so in India. 

17 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I don't completely agree they are useless, but the quantity of 'strong' Sikhs is low. And often the 'strong' ones are naiive or can be too friendly with other hostile communities. Ravi Singh Khalsa Aid is one example in my mind. 

I see your point now about Pakistani Muslims and how they are more conservative etc. Too many Punjabi Sikhs are too much the other way in pursuit of maya and see religion of much lower importance. 

Also, many Sikhs make fun of the ones that are in proper roop, calling them 'Giani' etc. This is common even more so in India. 

Sach Gal, but there’s lots of people who wear turbans who don’t know anything about Sikhi, and most of the time, even if someone goes to Gurdwara often; that doesn’t correlate to them having more knowledge than someone who doesn’t go to Gurdwara at all. If we compared that to Muslims, even their lay people know enough about the religion to tell what are some of the common things in their faith. 

6 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Sach Gal, but there’s lots of people who wear turbans who don’t know anything about Sikhi, and most of the time, even if someone goes to Gurdwara often; that doesn’t correlate to them having more knowledge than someone who doesn’t go to Gurdwara at all. If we compared that to Muslims, even their lay people know enough about the religion to tell what are some of the common things in their faith. 

I've noticed male Sikhs generally know more than females. A case of parents neglecting their duty with girls ?

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Sikhi Saroop, practising Nitnemi, possibly Amritdhari

Interesting that most people don't equate the attributes you've listed above with the intellectual or cognisant aspect of being a Sikh in terms of being "aware" and understanding the state of things in relation to real-world issues and practices. That probably inadvertently answers the question as to why Sikhs find themselves in this difficult situation.

9 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Maybe a lack of visible role models in media, and lack of Sikhs emphasising female role models in Sikh Itihaas

That's a very trite and low-level way of providing potential solutions to these problems. You're almost making excuses for their lack of interest, ambition, and general curiosity.