Differences between Majha, Doaba and Malwa Sikhs

Guest 111

On 12/15/2021 at 7:05 AM, Guest 111 said:

Are there any differences in how Sikhi is practiced by Majha, Doaba and Malwa Sikhs? Which Sikhs are dominant in the diaspora? 

Are there any differences in how Sikhi is practiced by Majha, Doaba and Malwa Sikhs? Which Sikhs are dominant in the diaspora? 

Doabe-wale have been the dominant in the 'West'. 

Malwa after that, Majha last. But I understand Majhails have been going abroad in increasing number. 

I would guess all UK Gurdware are led by mainly Doabe committees. Doabe wale make up at least 80-90% here I reckon

I am not aware of any obviously different ways these groups practise.

See

They are all same in Sikhi wise. Majha has lot of historical religious connection as being closer to Lahore. Others were developed hundreds of years later on. 

80’s revolution mostly hit Majha region - Amritsar/gurdaspur and were pressed down by hakumat for 2 decades while Doaba and malwa migrated to foreign lands during 70/80/90’s. Now out of that revolution, Majha is now migrating to Australia & Canada in large numbers. 

Where do you live , Jee ? How is it where you are ?

On 12/17/2021 at 3:08 AM, S1ngh said:

They are all same in Sikhi wise. Majha has lot of historical religious connection as being closer to Lahore. Others were developed hundreds of years later on. 

80’s revolution mostly hit Majha region - Amritsar/gurdaspur and were pressed down by hakumat for 2 decades while Doaba and malwa migrated to foreign lands during 70/80/90’s. Now out of that revolution, Majha is now migrating to Australia & Canada in large numbers. 

Doaba migrated foreign lands in 50's and 60's and some even before that. In the UK, 60's was the big decade of big immigration. Gravesend had some in 50's I think

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Where do you live , Jee ? How is it where you are ?

Doaba migrated foreign lands in 50's and 60's and some even before that. In the UK, 60's was the big decade of big immigration. Gravesend had some in 50's I think

I have lived in New Zealand and Australia. I think Doaba Sikhs tend to be less traditional, especially the ladies. 

Iirc Doaba Sikhs are more influenced by Hinduism. Malwa Sikhs are the most religious and traditional. Majha are known to have beautiful folk ?

It’s common for a lot of Punjabi men who migrated to the west to be from Doaba. Doaba are known for being business practical. Then they brought malwa or majha wives. Like my mother is Malwa and my dad is Doaba

Also dialect differences too! I like malwa Punjabi the most. Malwa also has the most Jatts. Malwa has most Scythian DNA too according to genetic tests (as Scythian peaks in Haryana Jatts) and they’re right by each other  

1 hour ago, Jassu said:

Iirc Doaba Sikhs are more influenced by Hinduism. Malwa Sikhs are the most religious and traditional. Majha are known to have beautiful folk ?

It’s common for a lot of Punjabi men who migrated to the west to be from Doaba. Doaba are known for being business practical. Then they brought malwa or majha wives. Like my mother is Malwa and my dad is Doaba

Also dialect differences too! I like malwa Punjabi the most. Malwa also has the most Jatts. Malwa has most Scythian DNA too according to genetic tests (as Scythian peaks in Haryana Jatts) and they’re right by each other  

My parents both from Ludhiana zila, what about your Mum's side - which district in Malwa ?

I have two uncles here who married Doabans.

Why bring jatts into a Sikhi discussion? And genetics? 

Btw, most of the 'kharkus' and high proportion of historical Sikh figures were from Majha. Majha is still relatively highly represented (at least from what I have seen) in terms of Amritdharis and Rehitvaan Sikhs. 

Malwa has highest population of Sikhs so would naturally have visibly more Sikhs who are religious but equally many who are not. Malwa seems the political 'heartland' since Partition - e.g. Badals, Captain, Channi, Beanta all from/born in Malwa. 

On the 'negative side' all the 'Manns' in Panjabi music are from Malwa. KP Gill , General K Brar . 

I think Malwa can also be broken down into subsections given how large it is. There's difference between say Mohali and Moga. Sant Jarnail Singh Ji were from Moga are, and many 'kharkus' were from around there. 

There are hardly any Sikhs and Panjabis from the western/southwestern part of Panjab abroad compared with the eastern side and bordering Doaba areas.

1 hour ago, Jassu said:

You just don't miss a chance to pump that western genetic shyte out can you. 

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

My parents both from Ludhiana zila, what about your Mum's side - which district in Malwa ?

I have two uncles here who married Doabans.

Why bring jatts into a Sikhi discussion? And genetics? 

Btw, most of the 'kharkus' and high proportion of historical Sikh figures were from Majha. Majha is still relatively highly represented (at least from what I have seen) in terms of Amritdharis and Rehitvaan Sikhs. 

Malwa has highest population of Sikhs so would naturally have visibly more Sikhs who are religious but equally many who are not. Malwa seems the political 'heartland' since Partition - e.g. Badals, Captain, Channi, Beanta all from/born in Malwa. 

On the 'negative side' all the 'Manns' in Panjabi music are from Malwa. KP Gill , General K Brar . 

I think Malwa can also be broken down into subsections given how large it is. There's difference between say Mohali and Moga. Sant Jarnail Singh Ji were from Moga are, and many 'kharkus' were from around there. 

There are hardly any Sikhs and Panjabis from the western/southwestern part of Panjab abroad compared with the eastern side and bordering Doaba areas.

Don’t Brar and Sant Ji share a common ancestor where one of the brothers supported Guru Sahib and the other didn’t?

Please don’t turn this thread into caste and superior genetics thingy. 

@Premi5doabay walay did moved large numbers to Uk soon after the era world war 2 and industrialization. However they were not moving to America till it was 80/90’s. West coast of America is mostly Doaba and malwa east coast has good sizeable Majha region. 

My wife is from Doaba area but did not lived there. I go along with everyone but for some reason, my close friends are mainly malwa folks - hailing from Ludhiana, bathinda, patiala.