Depression

kcmidlands

I've been debating whether to post this, i saw nothing about it posted so i though I'd share.

On Thursday evening there was a post on Twitter (to begin with) about a young Singh who had gone missing, he left a lengthy note on an Instagram post, it was pretty intense reading as it turned out he's been suffering from depression for a number of years and not told anyone, i followed it through the evening as more and more people started looking from him, i did Ardaas before going to bed that he would be found and that he would find help in whatever he was going through, I thought, like the majority of these cases I'd wake up and he would have been found.

Into the morning after the school run i checked on Twitter and Instagram for any news, the young  Singh had committed suicide, he jumped from the M621 bridge in Leeds, i don't know why but this has really hit me hard to a point where i was nearly in tears when i read about what happened, this young man had suffered from depression and it had got to a point where he felt death was the only escape, there's not been much reported aside from social media, there's a link below.

https://celebsaga.com/deep-singh-m621-bridge-fall-death-leeds-suicide-of-missing-man-mr-singh/

The bigger issue here for me is that there seems to be a complete lack of support for men in our community to go and talk to someone, we're just meant to grin an bear it, I'm sure this has probably been spoken about before on these forums as well, there seems to be a number of cases this year alone where men from the Sikh community have ended there lives due to depression.

On a day to day basis we don't know what battles someone is fighting, most of the time we can take some solace in Gurbani but what happens when that isn't enough, one thing i do know is that men in our community need to learn to talk and not bottle things up, sometimes it could mean the difference between someone deciding to live another day or not.

5 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

I've been debating whether to post this, i saw nothing about it posted so i though I'd share.

On Thursday evening there was a post on Twitter (to begin with) about a young Singh who had gone missing, he left a lengthy note on an Instagram post, it was pretty intense reading as it turned out he's been suffering from depression for a number of years and not told anyone, i followed it through the evening as more and more people started looking from him, i did Ardaas before going to bed that he would be found and that he would find help in whatever he was going through, I thought, like the majority of these cases I'd wake up and he would have been found.

Into the morning after the school run i checked on Twitter and Instagram for any news, the young  Singh had committed suicide, he jumped from the M621 bridge in Leeds, i don't know why but this has really hit me hard to a point where i was nearly in tears when i read about what happened, this young man had suffered from depression and it had got to a point where he felt death was the only escape, there's not been much reported aside from social media, there's a link below.

https://celebsaga.com/deep-singh-m621-bridge-fall-death-leeds-suicide-of-missing-man-mr-singh/

The bigger issue here for me is that there seems to be a complete lack of support for men in our community to go and talk to someone, we're just meant to grin an bear it, I'm sure this has probably been spoken about before on these forums as well, there seems to be a number of cases this year alone where men from the Sikh community have ended there lives due to depression.

On a day to day basis we don't know what battles someone is fighting, most of the time we can take some solace in Gurbani but what happens when that isn't enough, one thing i do know is that men in our community need to learn to talk and not bottle things up, sometimes it could mean the difference between someone deciding to live another day or not.

Thanks for sharing this. . I'm not aware of any other recent cases affecting Sikh men,  but in this increasingly difficult world, with all its distractions and negativity, mental health awareness and maintenance is very important.

I think most people are generally more aware about mental health now than say, 10-20 years ago, there's a lot on TV and other media about it. 

GP's are accessible for anyone with mental health problems, it's one of their main type of problem to deal with. Counselling is almost always available via self referral in the NHS in England (although long waiting times often). 

One thing about men vs women who are depressed or suicidal, is that women will often use 'softer' means of self harm, like cutting or overdoses, which are seen as 'cry for attention'; whereas if a male is suicidal, it can be taken more seriously as health professionals know men are much more likely to sucessfully commit suicide, e.g. by jumping in front of train, hanging, or like in the story you posted.

I saw this recently, which might be helpful to others

https://www.desiblitz.com/content/taraki-talks-mental-health-issues-in-uks-punjabi-communities

Taraki talks Mental Health Issues in UK’s Punjabi Communities

DESIblitz spoke exclusively with Taraki founder, Shuranjeet Singh Takhar, about supporting Punjabi communities with their mental health.

October 22, 2021

Taraki with Mental Health Issues in UK's Punjabi Communities

"Women are a high-risk group for suicide attempts"

Mental health awareness is a challenge in every community. The initiative by the organisation Taraki is to work with Punjabi communities in the UK. With the aim to develop a much more targeted approach.

A 2012 study on the Punjabi diaspora in the UK found that 45% of British Indians living in the UK were Punjabis.

The study also reveals that Punjabis were the higher group from India to migrate to the UK in the 50s and 60s for socio-economic reasons post-partition.

Thus, leading to an exponential growth of Punjabi communities in the UK, as families settled and gave way to new generations of UK-born Punjabis.

4 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

Agree.

However there are a lot more of our men that are seeking help, but we do not hear about it.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, kcmidlands said:

Issues around punjabis not being understanding of mental illnesses like depression have been spoken about recently in another thread. I think part of the issue is that many many punjabis are now mostly about Image. Women get beaten and sexually harrassed and it's kept on the downlow to protect the Image of the Criminals who committ those crimes, they just get away with them, for the sake of Image/ false reputation. 

If that's happening, how can we expect such primitive people to be compassionate about mental illnesses? Theres no sense of humanitarianism that the Gurus demonstrated, its all about who looks the wealthiest, the best dressed, the biggest wedding, the best b/s reputation at the detriment of justice, goodness and being Kind./ compassionate, and these people are sometimes just seen as being weak. It's Maya/ Kaal. 

If things are to change, these issues should be addressed and spoken about amongst people who can be trusted, and awareness about them spread. Maybe more charitable organisations/ Gurdwarras can address these. Therapy is key to overcoming these and should be heavily promoted, instead of being stigmatised. If everyone got therapy, (everyone needs it) the world i'm certain would be a much better place. 

2 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Very very sad news

It’s the apaar kirpa and compassion of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, daas found something special in this life. Went through hard things like grieving, bullying at school, depression and attempting suicide. Sangat ji daas isn’t even from a Sikhi background at all, nor from an area with much Sikhi. By his kirpa kept doing mool mantar, then age 16 darshan happened. Guru Sahib Ji personally gave daas jugat of dasam duar.

Past few years daas has lived very gupat remaining hidden from the world. Only people in my life now are parents, work colleagues and few family friends. Life is very isolated and lonely.

There’s a huge opportunity to write guidance on naam simran covering current issues - depression, mental health, suicide, social media too!

Hopefully in around 1 week new project could be ready to share now. 

Fantastic friend. It's very easy to feel isolated when you're into vibrations that most people are not. But with so few, we must be spread out physically, and we are so blessed to at least be here together, and in Hukam when we Jaap Naam. Look forward to anything qnd everything you share. 

22 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Very very sad news

It’s the apaar kirpa and compassion of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, daas found something special in this life. Went through hard things like grieving, bullying at school, depression and attempting suicide. Sangat ji daas isn’t even from a Sikhi background at all, nor from an area with much Sikhi. By his kirpa kept doing mool mantar, then age 16 darshan happened. Guru Sahib Ji personally gave daas jugat of dasam duar.

Past few years daas has lived very gupat remaining hidden from the world. Only people in my life now are parents, work colleagues and few family friends. Life is very isolated and lonely.

There’s a huge opportunity to write guidance on naam simran covering current issues - depression, mental health, suicide, social media too!

Hopefully in around 1 week new project could be ready to share now. 

I find going to the Gurudwarra regularly helps. If you join the sangat, go to the Gurus house physically once a week or so, and keep up that routine, I believe it can do wonders for a person. On top of that, doing seva, speaking to people, ithout caring about rejection or what they think of you, staying grounded in who you are is great I think. 

By sangat, above all I mean going to see the Guru, because God sits behind every single Guru Granth Sahib Ji in each Gurudwarra in the universe, and the Gyan is the Guru and Guru is the Gyan. Anyone else sitting around who is a genuine bhagat, serious about their bhagti, not just one in name or appearance but actually Practices and Applies the gyan to their lifes diligently, is an added bonus as sangat.

8 hours ago, Guest maya said:

I find going to the Gurudwarra regularly helps. If you join the sangat, go to the Gurus house physically once a week or so, and keep up that routine, I believe it can do wonders for a person. On top of that, doing seva, speaking to people, ithout caring about rejection or what they think of you, staying grounded in who you are is great I think. 

Amen

8 hours ago, Guest maya said:

By sangat, above all I mean going to see the Guru, because God sits behind every single Guru Granth Sahib Ji in each Gurudwarra in the universe, and the Gyan is the Guru and Guru is the Gyan. Anyone else sitting around who is a genuine bhagat, serious about their bhagti, not just one in name or appearance but actually Practices and Applies the gyan to their lifes diligently, is an added bonus as sangat.

Subsequent Amen