India's Four Religions Should Be Together

Dayalkaurkhalsa

8 minutes ago, proactive said:

First you said this -;

And then  you wrote this-;

So from saying we have to rely on others and we are doing nothing to then saying we are not doing enough! You should own up to your ignorance. We don't need to be chasing dodgy so-called descendants of Bhai Mardana, we should be producing our own scholars of Kirtan which the institutes you alluded to are already doing. The £20K these Mardana Project guys managed to get donated to them will be used to confuse Sikhs and try and eradicate the Sikh contribution to Kirtan and project these dodgy Mirasasi as the true heirs of our traditions. 

at the moment, we are relying on other people becaue we are not trying enough. let's strive for change with chardi kala!

4 hours ago, proactive said:

Watch the video of Bhai Baldeep Singh where he destroys these two mischief making kids who think only they have enough knowledge to dismiss the Sikh contribution to the Punjab gharana. I suggest you stop bigging up these two kids who look like to be following the path of the Niddar Na.ng. 

cool video and I need to spend sometime going listening through it.

I think it's our own sikhs such as the sikh panthic leaders who are dismissing the contributions of sikhs and the Gurus. At the moment, it's more common to see a keertani lugging around a heavy harmonium than carrying an instrument carried by warrior Singhs during war such as the dilruba, or the Rabab which Bhai Mardana ji carried around on his journeys with Baba Nanak.

At the moment, the evidence is, when I go to the gurdwara, whether in Punjab or uk, usually we will see sikhs playing keertan in harmonium, and sometimes not using any Raags either. Or they might be trying to play in "simple tunes" which is a word that seems to be a go to argument, I have heard keertan sung to Bindrakhiya tunes, and also the sikh equivalent to christian rock.

4 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

cool video and I need to spend sometime going listening through it.

I think it's our own sikhs such as the sikh panthic leaders who are dismissing the contributions of sikhs and the Gurus. At the moment, it's more common to see a keertani lugging around a heavy harmonium than carrying an instrument carried by warrior Singhs during war such as the dilruba, or the Rabab which Bhai Mardana ji carried around on his joruneys with Baba Nanak.

At the moment, the evidence is, when I go to the gurdwara, whether in Punjab or uk, usually we will see sikhs playing keertan in harmonium, and sometimes not using any Raags either. Or they might be trying to play in "simple tunes" which is a word that seems to a go to argument, I have heard keertan sung to Bindrakhiya tunes, and also the sikh equivalent to christian rock.

That's no excuse. Raags are simple. It's as easy or easier than scales and notes. 

25 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

That's no excuse. Raags are simple. It's as easy or easier than scales and notes. 

For example of the 7 "notes" five could be played ascending and six descending. That's a Raag. 

That's like having the best sounding notes in a scale picked out for you. Just twiddle those five and six keys and dont play six when going up. 

Harmonium, like piano, is a really clear way to see musical theory. It has the 12 chromatic "notes", it has them divided into an octave and a pentatonic. White and black keys. You play just the black ones anyone sounds good because those are the five most sweetly distanced out of the twelve. Pentatonic is considered asiatic even in western music. It's in fact prevalent in everyone's music except imperials. Who stole its use. The harmonium is good for singing "notes" and getting your pitch right, but so is a tuning fork or a phone app. 

So the Raag I referenced is the pentatonic with an additional accent key. 

The problem with harmonium is it does not convey the fact you are indeed singing and playing on a single string and have access to the entirety of its wavelentgths not just the fixed spots. It also does not sound great. It takes a master to make that truly pleasing. And it is replacing actual insturments out of convenience. I will not say anything bad about Kirtan or Kirtanis but harmonium needs a serious reassessment for proper uses. 

We would be far better off using stringed insturments, even improvised insturments and synth pads than harmonium. It's a teaching and practice insturment whos sound is outdated and not optimal. 

I'm about halfway to understanding how all this comes together. Here is an electronic artist I found on accident who actually uses tabla beats, like six counts etc, and perhaps the SaReGa frequencies. 

This Raag is not in Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I'll listen more and find some that match Gurbani. 

1  2 3 ...4 5 6...

Not 4 not 8 not 16 which is all other electronic music. 

Kirtan uses those times too just not always. 

The Raag and the Tabla don't necessarily line up the same way in Kirtan as western music. They just start together in pulses but the tabla can play longer I think is how it works out. 

7 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

We would be far better off using stringed insturments, even improvised insturments and synth pads than harmonium. It's a teaching and practice insturment whos sound is outdated and not optimal. 

yeh I want to see more improvised instruments and synth pads. I also want to see electric guitars, I think they can make a somewhat similar sound to some stringed instruments. I used to hear some keertan on the radio from Australia and he used to use electric guitars and didgeridoos, I don't think it was in Raag but it was pretty good!  Lastly, I would love to see an electric guitar played at rehnsbai uploaded on youtube for us to watch.  

Lastly, why can't we have DJs performing keertan. Since we already use an archaic instrument imported by the British called the hamronium, then DJ keertan is not beadbi at all since most sikhs have forsaken Gurus' instruments anyways! I think there's quite a few Singhs or sardars who are DJs for punjabi functions, and DJ'ing has become a regular part of the punjabi culture. So why not present keertan in a way modern punjabis and modern sikhs are used to music, instead of using the out-o-f-date and out-of-place harmonium - it's not exactly like sangat and gurdwaras are bothering to try to preserve Gurudev's instuments anyway?