Guru ka baaz!

shastarSingh

43 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I know Naamdharis aren’t proper, but they used to beat people up for killing animals, if you’re trying to say vegetarians are pacifists, that’s not exactly right.

I never said vegetarians are pacifists.

Babbar Khalsa is vegetarian but hasn't been neutralized till yet.

Taksalis are vegetarian but produced great khaarrkus in 80's

@shastarSingh

You asked me to comment on another thread so I will.  I would have stayed out otherwise.

I think anyone trying to make a baaz vegetarian needs to be committed to a mental asylum. If I even heard that someone was actually even seriously considering it, I'd be in shock and wary of that person. It means that they don't understand kudrat and are trying to foist their human values on another joon, which seems mental. You just have to have a sharp cat and see how that behaves (with its natural predatory instinct), that makes it hunt down rats, mice and birds even though you feed it well! 

Personally a lot of my family (especially the older generation bibian) have been pro veg, or even if they ate meat, it would be sparingly and the usual diet would be what most of us know and expect: sabzhee, falleaan, daals etc. I'm not vegetarian now, though my mom pushed it when growing up. 

The issue of meat eating and Sikhi is a knotty one in my opinion. One side of my family has a close affiliation with Rara Sahib, and I know that sampardaya are pro-veg. As I was growing up, I obviously read more about my roots and learnt about jhatka (which I was told by my mom, was only a last resort for Singhs - which I don't believe is true now).

To put it in a nutshell: I think there have always been meat eating and vegetarian Sikhs. It's also obvious jhatka has a very long provenance in our panth and even an older one in Indic (I think khatri?) tradition. Maybe it's the tradition or sampardaya that you or your family have been historically influenced by that makes us go one way or another?  People should respect choices. No one should rub their personal preference in others faces.  We need to have proper jhatka provisions for Sikhs internationally and reinforce this so that apnay don't eat jalaal, and also keep away from those types of establishments.  

12 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Maybe it's the tradition or sampardaya that you or your family has been historically influenced by that makes us go one way or another?

Veerji

I feel the present generation Sikhs need to use their brain intelligence and do research and study the evidence. If evidence is strong, we shud be willing to change our beliefs and shud not fear our samparda or jatha.

I hv been told many things by people. I listened to them carefully but I did my own research. I also asked Waheguru ji to help me.

11 hours ago, shastarSingh said:

Can you also tell why Baba Gurditta ji hunted?

Bhai Randhir Singh ji ( a great soul and I feel his books to be amazing) has written that eating meat is bajjar kurehit. He says Guru Sahib hunted to liberate animals.

But why Baba Gurditta ji hunted?

Yes vegetarianism is not feasible worldwide. Eskimos and those living in cold climate have to rely on meat.  In fact due to availability Eskimos have started eating western foods and they get diseases like diabetes etc at a much earlier age like 30s and 40s if they eat the western grain based diet.  Ofc it could be that they are getting the packaged junk food.   

I think we have to stop being like abrahamic religions about diet.  They believe there is only way of doing things, we should be wise enough to realize that it's rarely the case in this vast world.  I think that is why even Guru Nanak Dev ji did not take a stand on gurbani on the meat issue.  

However, I do think going the western way and having meat for breakfast lunch and dinner is terrible.  Like most ancient peoples meat was once a while thing.  When you got around to hunting or when you decided it was time to sacrifice the animal you were raising since infancy.  Usually done in winter,  when other food sources were scarce. 

Also, the more North you go, diet is more likely to contain coffee alcohol and meat. The more tropical the more fruits veggies and grains. Ayurvedically this makes sense.  Also our genes play a role.  There was a study that people from South India lack certain enzymes so that if they eat meat, it's more likely to store saturated fat and give heart attacks etc. 

However I do think eating meat does affect us spirtually.  That is why most samparda are against it.  Only those that are about war like Nihangs are on with it.  And that's great, when the time comes to fight, it would be good to have some Sikhs who know how to prepare meat and which parts are good to eat.  I don't even know how to cook an egg.  And cooking meat is a lot more fraught with danger.  It can easily go rancid,  or make you sick if under cooked or easily cause food poisoning.  There was a granth I think prem sumarg(  not sure tho) that listed the types of fish ok for khalsa to eat. Which types of meat are dangerous (dead animals etc) 

However when most Sikhs are told meat is ok, they start eating McDonald's and the terrible factory farmed meat. Which is very very harmful. At least the vegetarian panjabis are saved from the terrible disease of the west like colon cancer. Same thing with saying Marijuana is ok. Sikh Kids have starting using edibles and junk like that.

That's why I think certain granths, philosophies and habits were restricted or kept hidden with certain jathas. So they could be properly imparted and done under supervision. When democracy or the masses get hold of something it's destroyed or wrong fully misused. 

So a nanny state and a sanitized version of things is important. Real seekers can find the real answers themselves.

3 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

@shastarSingh

You asked me to comment on another thread so I will.  I would have stayed out otherwise.

I think anyone trying to make a baaz vegetarian needs to be committed to a mental asylum. If I even heard that someone was actually even seriously considering it, I'd be in shock and wary of that person. It means that they don't understand kudrat and are trying to foist their human values on another joon, which seems mental. You just have to have a sharp cat and see how that behaves (with its natural predatory instinct), that makes it hunt down rats, mice and birds even though you feed it well! 

Personally a lot of my family (especially the older generation bibian) have been pro veg, or even if they ate meat, it would be sparingly and the usual diet would be what most of us know and expect: sabzhee, falleaan, daals etc. I'm not vegetarian now, though my mom pushed it when growing up. 

The issue of meat eating and Sikhi is a knotty one in my opinion. One side of my family has a close affiliation with Rara Sahib, and I know that sampardaya are pro-veg. As I was growing up, I obviously read more about my roots and learnt about jhatka (which I was used to be told by my mom was only a last resort for Singhs - which I don't believe is true now).

To put it in a nutshell: I think there have always been meat eating and vegetarian Sikhs. It's also obvious jhatka has a very long provenance in our panth and even an older one in Indic (I think khatri?) tradition. Maybe it's the tradition or sampardaya that you or your family has been historically influenced by that makes us go one way or another?  People should respect choices. No one should rub their personal preference in others faces.  We need to have proper jhatka provisions for Sikhs internationally and reinforce this so that apnay don't eat jalaal, and also keep away from those types of establishments.  

I agree bro. Absolutely about forcing human stuff on animals Ji. 

However with this asterisk. 

Dogs were considered carnivores basically when I was growing up. But they are omnivors, and they do live longest on a vegan diet. 

In my youth? Bro. You know what they'd do to you socially if they found out you had a vegan dog? They'd think you were nuts and probably gay. 

Now. We've had a wild come and go inside crow before. And he...or she..is a predatory raptor but would eat all sorts of anything. They have a rather elaborate soaking and washing method. They love Sukha. They love valuable things they can trade to humans or gift to humans. They take all your stuff and put it in their nest. They can mimic Aikido moves. They can knock on your door. They can speak english. Kalyug killed that poor crow for sure bro. 

Speaking of hawks the Aikido moves were actually things that I showed the crow in the living room when it was recovering from being hit in the back by a hawk. I put myself mentally in the same position that the crow might find itself in both seated on the ground and also in flight and based on Aikido principles did a series of you know maneuvers in front of the crow for a while that seemed to me might be a benefit and if as soon as that Crow was healthy I didn't see it out there flying up to the tallest tree and dropping out of it over and over again doing those same moves over and over again for days?

Because it was a loner, the other crows who have a tribe, weren't able to protect it the same way it, didn't have the same protections in place, so it was much more open to hawk attack. They would be nice to our crow, and they would come once a year on migration and invite the crow every time to come with them and ours would stay, but by being kind to one crow, we actually got the recognition of all the crows that came through this area. But crows all have differing tribal languages and so our crow who spoke who knows what type of english wasn't really able to communicate with them the same way they were able to communicate with each other. To this day I still am recognized by crows and it is now been years since ours was killed. That's not a reflection on me that's a reflection on Crows. 

The crow stopped speaking english the day that it said something to somebody in their backyard across the way, and the person peppered them in the back with a paintball gun and destroyed their breathing for the rest of their life crow never spoke again. 

And when the crow started being friendly with the police and they talked to my mom and we're allowed to start taking him on ride alongs because they thought it was cool the crow died because one of them thought it would be funny to put it in a gas chamber one day. 

And that's what I mean by Kalyug got that poor crow. 

36 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Yes vegetarianism is not feasible worldwide. Eskimos and those living in cold climate have to rely on meat.  In fact due to availability Eskimos have started eating western foods and they get diseases like diabetes etc at a much earlier age like 30s and 40s if they eat the western grain based diet.  Ofc it could be that they are getting the packaged junk food.   

I think we have to stop being like abrahamic religions about diet.  They believe there is only way of doing things, we should be wise enough to realize that it's rarely the case in this vast world.  I think that is why even Guru Nanak Dev ji did not take a stand on gurbani on the meat issue.  

However, I do think going the western way and having meat for breakfast lunch and dinner is terrible.  Like most ancient peoples meat was once a while thing.  When you got around to hunting or when you decided it was time to sacrifice the animal you were raising since infancy.  Usually done in winter,  when other food sources were scarce. 

Also, the more North you go, diet is more likely to contain coffee alcohol and meat. The more tropical the more fruits veggies and grains. Ayurvedically this makes sense.  Also our genes play a role.  There was a study that people from South India lack certain enzymes so that if they eat meat, it's more likely to store saturated fat and give heart attacks etc. 

However I do think eating meat does affect us spirtually.  That is why most samparda are against it.  Only those that are about war like Nihangs are on with it.  And that's great, when the time comes to fight, it would be good to have some Sikhs who know how to prepare meat and which parts are good to eat.  I don't even know how to cook an egg.  And cooking meat is a lot more fraught with danger.  It can easily go rancid,  or make you sick if under cooked or easily cause food poisoning.  There was a granth I think prem sumarg(  not sure tho) that listed the types of fish ok for khalsa to eat. Which types of meat are dangerous (dead animals etc) 

However when most Sikhs are told meat is ok, they start eating McDonald's and the terrible factory farmed meat. Which is very very harmful. At least the vegetarian panjabis are saved from the terrible disease of the west like colon cancer. Same thing with saying Marijuana is ok. Sikh Kids have starting using edibles and junk like that.

That's why I think certain granths, philosophies and habits were restricted or kept hidden with certain jathas. So they could be properly imparted and done under supervision. When democracy or the masses get hold of something it's destroyed or wrong fully misused. 

So a nanny state and a sanitized version of things is important. Real seekers can find the real answers themselves.

I think Sikhs should be Bibeki about meat, usually eating meat from who knows what is more negative than not eating anything at all.