The History of India: Every Year

Premi5

Came across these highly intersting and informative videos recently

Made me think I didn't remember how Mughals were not in power until after Guru Nanak came to us, some time after 1500. And in 1541, the Sher Shah Suri Empire had temporarily displaced the Mughals

Only the British were really able to take South India

The history of India even before the Mughals seems fascinating, and I need to learn more !

@Premi5 - the pre-Hindu rule (Buddhist) of India is fascinating. I wonder how an uninterrupted Buddhist rule up to the modern day in India would've impacted the character of the citizens. Would they be similar to the Japanese in temperament and demeanour, or does raw ethnicity and inbuilt inclinations override any ideological / religious / spiritual impact?

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

@Premi5 - the pre-Hindu rule (Buddhist) of India is fascinating. I wonder how an uninterrupted Buddhist rule up to the modern day in India would've impacted the character of the citizens. Would they be similar to the Japanese in temperament and demeanour, or does raw ethnicity and inbuilt inclinations override any ideological / religious / spiritual impact?

Thanks for the post. I really know little about the Japanese and only a superficial knowledge of Buddhism. 

I guess that for example, North Indians seem quite bold/aggressive compared to South Indians, which is supposedly related to being proximal to borders and invaders which has hardened those people. 

If India had never faced any invaders, then the people would likely be a lot more relaxed ?

I think though that the way people develop is more 'nurture' than 'nature'. If it's 'in your blood' then you are susceptible to change (e.g. monay Sikhs who become Singhs and Kaurs)

Are the Japanese all Buddhists? Has that shaped its identity and culture more than other things (like I said, I don't know much about Japan - the first thing I think of is martial arts, followed by business and technology)

@GurjantGnostic seems to know, and might be able to expand that discussion with you

And, @MisterrSingh please recommend a book that covers the History of India. I'm looking for something that is to the point , maybe just a  chapter to cover say, a century - *actually, this one looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/India-History-John-Keay/dp/0007307756

51ebM8BMIGL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg