Why have Punjabi songs become so Arabized?

Guest Punjabi sikh

11 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

you're not getting any freebies from me. ?

If you think you're going to make any money out of it, wake up.........lol

Unless you're planning on being another sellout mouthpiece for outsiders to use against us? And brother, I pray you never go down that route, whatever internal issues we have.  

On 2/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, MisterrSingh said:

Why have Punjabi songs become so Arabized?

It's quite straight-forward yet simultaneously covers a few over-lapping areas. Not in the mood for too many words so I'll bullet-point it:

• There's a certain quality of romanticism (in terms of linguistic style) to Islamic / Arabic-derived compositions. Singers with particular types of classical training view it as a superior form (lyrically and musically) in which to express themselves. 
  • The Punjabi and very early Sikh leaning (affection) for Sufism and its significant proponents (Bulleh Shah, Farid, etc) is a very significant component of this gradual Arabisation of modern Punjabi culture and art. In an attempt to "go to the root" / uncover the purest and earliest representation of an art-form or certain cultural and artistic practices, some modern-day performers inevitably find themselves being drawn to the original rendition of whichever art-form they want to explore. Musically, if you're Punjabi, you will struggle to ignore the early Islamic impact on Punjabi music, poetry, and literature in general.
  • This aspect is a little controversial but I'll state it anyway: it's not a secret that Guru Nanak Dev Ji held Sufism and certain of their ways with affection.

That's it in a nutshell.

Hi these points are incorrect.

1) Theres no leaning to "Arabic derived compositions".  These aren't in the Arabic equivalent of Ragas.  None of these "singers" have any classical training worth mentioning.  Also, the classical forms (Patiala form?) is 1) all muslim singers 2) sang in Ragas, not Arabic music.

2) There is no "very early Sikh leaning (affection) for Sufism".  Bulleh Shah was not born before Guru Nanak, and Sheikh Farid is only one Bhagat out of 13 or so.  

3) In what way did Guru Nanak hold Sufism and "certain of their ways" in affection?  Please explain?  I don't see it in any Gurbani or any historical texts.