At what age should Sikhs get married?

Guest Sikh

The age people get married is increasing in the world and Punjab. Sikhs in the past married and started families at much younger ages but today many delay it till their late 20s or early 30s. Recently, India proposed a bill to increase the legal age of women getting married to 21 from 18 while it's already 21 for men.  

Is it better to get married early like Sikhs of the past or follow the global trend of getting married later? 

On 1/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, Guest Sikh said:

Is it better to get married early like Sikhs of the past or follow the global trend of getting married later? 

I agree with above but then also we have to look at the divorce rate in our community (young age not mature enough etc). 

9 hours ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

pragmatically speaking, it would be easier for youth to control desire for opposite gender when they are tied to commitment, like at least a roka if not a marraige 

I’m not married, but I don’t think lust ends with marriage. It’s something people have to fight with until they get mukti. 

12 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Your tolerance levels go down as you get older. You get more easily irritated. Better to get into a relationship before this. lol! 

Conversely, I think a lot of 'angry young men' for example, mellow with age. 

I think when for example one is younger and makes mistakes due to anger/impatience, you learn a lesson each time and then better control it. 

But it might depend on how 'high maintenance' your partner is , lol

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Conversely, I think a lot of 'angry young men' for example, mellow with age. 

I think when for example one is younger and makes mistakes due to anger/impatience, you learn a lesson each time and then better control it. 

But it might depend on how 'high maintenance' your partner is , lol

I think men become more high maintenance with age, while women become less high maintenance with age; the problem is when many guys are more high maintenance than their value, as their value isn’t just their looks, controversially a woman who’s more more high maintenance than what’s her value would still be able to get guys at a young enough age.