Is Punjabi 5500 years old?

shastarSingh

On 2/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, shastarSingh said:

The oldest use of Panjabi language is the Rig Veda. Cerebral sounds in Rig Veda are found in no other indo European or Indo Aryan languages, like ਟ, ਠ, ਡ, ਢ, ਣ, ੜ. Therefore Rig Veda is considered the first Panjabi literary creation of the Aryans. Though I can’t fully agree to that but it cannot be denied that Panjabi language was prevalent in Panjab before the advent of the Aryans and that Panjabi greatly influenced Vedic languages. There is also a lot of influence of Dravidian languages over Panjabi who share common words with Panjabi, example ਮੀਨ which means Fish, ਡੌਲਾ meaning shoulder, ਠੁਠ meaning thumb, ਢੂਈ meaning back have all been taken from Dravidian languages. An ear ring is called Muruk in Dravidian languages while in Panjabi it’s called Murki ਮੁਰਕੀ. [1]

The ਲ਼ is totally lost in modern Sanskrit but Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Panjabi still use it. The words ਪਕੌੜਾ and ਵੜੇ are found in both Tamil and Panjabi. Some might argue that it’s same in Hindi but the Hindi language has no sound as same as Panjabi letter ੜ. As shown below the Hindi corresponding letter has a Ń sound than Ra sound. [2]

main-qimg-afc255ad133cee7942ae33bacd3c301a-lq

So much so that Panjab University in its bulletin (page 3–5) in 1968 claimed that Panjabi is descendant of pre-aryan and Porto-Dravidian languages and is thus the oldest language of India. The language of Rig Veda is similar to Avesta, which is a language of Iran during 2500–3000BC. Some Philologists claim Avesta to be the derivation of the Vedic languages. The similarity between the two languages can be seen below:[3]

main-qimg-4b01946338b29873c4b5b9a5bf9084bd-lq

Name of some gods and rivers can be found in both languages like Indra, Vayu, Mitra. Both Rig Veda and Avesta literatures name some of the languages of the then current languages of Panjab, out of which Dravidian is the one. Vedic language or Vedic Sanskrit had 39 consonants and 13 vowels, three genders, three numbers and five tenses. The sentence structure was similar to present day Panjabi. At one time Rig Veda was the spoken language of Panjab but soon it’s literary form was forbidden to ordinary people especially Dravidian by Brahmins, who started calling it Sanskrit (refined or perfected language). While the language of the normal people was called Paishachi (hateful or vulgar). As Dr. Chatterji says: [4]

main-qimg-26b6e450bca591fc8fda8b2c989a1ed0-lq

“It is an interesting possibility that the Panjabi language is not Aryan in its content but its source lies in the language which was spoken in these areas before the advent of Aryans”

Modern Panjabi has reduced consonants to 35, the vowels are 13, the Gender and number are 2 and tenses are 3, but there are thousands of words in Rig Veda which Panjabi has faithfully retained since last 5000 years and are being used even now. [5]

main-qimg-d6d3a5da1846b5875490e68a702e8e3c-lq

The Uvular ਲ਼ is only found in Rig Veda although it’s frequency is not same as other sounds, and isn’t used in Sanskrit at all, but surprisingly is a common in Panjabi like ਬੋਲ਼ਾ meaning deaf, and many more like ਕਾਲ਼ਾ , ਸਾਲ਼ਾ, ਕਮਲ਼ਾ, ਰੌਲ਼ਾ etc.

There is also great similarity between Vedic language and Panjabi in terms of names of body parts and near relatives. [6]

main-qimg-d7a9b37f7f87ca55a97f267ca492747e-lq
main-qimg-8b0ee0572350c18db64c23acd1ec18db-lq

Dally Singh veerji

What do you say about the Punjabi sounds in rig Veda?

13 minutes ago, shastarSingh said:

Veerji

I had a talk with a nice nirmala scholar some time back.

He told me that Sanskrit of Vedas is very very different from Sanskrit 1500 years ago and present day Sanskrit is very different from Sanskrit 1500 years ago.

But still all these three versions belong to the same language called Sanskrit.

Same way Punjabi spoken before rig veda must be very different from present day Punjabi but still both are versions of the same language called Punjabi.

May be some nice linguist can tell what parameters actually define a language.

No doubt ALL languages change over time but some finish off while some survive.

Yeah, veer ji. That's why I was reluctant to answer before. I'm under no illusion, I don't have near enough knowledge of this topic to give any solid answer. I don't know if anyone has? 

I think the question we need to ask is maybe a different one? 

What were the people who inhabited the region now know as Panjab like centuries/millennia ago? 

The Harappa script is characterised thus: 

The Indus script (also known as the Harappan script) is a corpus of symbols produced by the Indus Valley Civilization. ... He also found that the average inscription contained five symbols and that the longest inscription contained only 26 symbols.

• Harappan Script was pictographic in nature.
  • This script is very confusing and it has not been deciphered yet.
  • It is also the earliest known script of the Indian Script.
  • This script had illustrations/symbols, representing ideas,objects and words.

It doesn't seem to be precursor to the Indic scripts we have now? People with serious brains put them together - that much is evident.