Ukraine-Russia crisis

5aaban

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

And if "the free market" is so great, then why don't you let us sell  our output to whichever customer wants to buy it, including across the border?

I don't know if Panjab is the 'bread basket' anymore. Plus Russians are about to offload a whole bunch of wheat apparently too. So there is foreign competition. 

I think Panjab needs MRP for more diverse crops i.e. outside of water intensive wheat and rice. 

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

I myself think a good few of them would've deconverted in that hypothetical situation. I know a few of my generation who don't really practice it (i.e. drink, eat non-halal, bacon etc.). Though all their kids practice it though. 

And the reason it's a hypothetical situation is the British destroyed our Kingdom. And then those same Punjabi Muslims turned around and created a nuclear bomb and did a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and are turning UK into a caliphate. Karma.

The kids practice Islam because they have no other identity and they get to talking with crazy Arab which they meet in the UK and Canada, but would've never encountered in Pakistan.

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

The kids practice Islam because they have no other identity and they get to talking with crazy Arab which they meet in the UK and Canada, but would've never encountered in Pakistan.

The parents are 'street' they are very clued up about how a lot of arab countries are de facto US colonies i.e. saudi and iraq (the latter who are, I only found out recently, india's biggest oil suppliers - some 26%) 

8 hours ago, BhForce said:

First of all, you made no attempt to refute @MisterrSingh's post.

Second, that's completely the reverse of the situation. Corporations had deliberately been kept out of Punjab for decades because the Indian government said it was a "border region". Well, so is Rajasthan, Gujarat, and West Bengal!

Additionally, the "corporations" you speak of would not be bring in new jobs or technologies (like, say Quark in Mohali). Rather, they would be taking over from Punjabis already doing the work of farming, distributing, and selling produce. What would the benefit be other than corporations would be getting money rather than Punjabis?

Unwilling to diversify? There's no point to taking up productive farmland and putting factories on it. On the other hand, it's fine to put up factories on unproductive land.

Anyways, you (Indian govt) have to decide what you want Punjab to do. Provide grain to India or not?

And if "the free market" is so great, then why don't you let us sell  our output to whichever customer wants to buy it, including across the border?

Corporations have been chased out of Punjab. See my post where I've tagged you.

The corporation that moved to UP were dealing in mobile phones and communication technology creating thousands of much needed jobs in Punjab.

Alot of farmland is being used to produce low quality wheat and sugar which is then used to produce alcohol.  Thus destroying the youth. 

Punjab needs to diversify rather than rely on govt to buy their substandard produce. 

Selling overseas involves the centre and policy as laws and export taxes are involved. There is no totally Free Market anywhere, as far as I'm aware. All markets are manipulated esp when corporations are involved. 

On 3/20/2022 at 1:40 AM, BhForce said:

Wow, when are you going to respond to my point that the people of Punjab don't need and don't want outside corporations to take over the jobs that Punjabis are already doing (such as farming and delivering produce). It is a different matter if a corporation were to come and do something new, like 
https://in.indeed.com/Quark-jobs-in-Mohali,-Punjab?vjk=f9f35c546fe37b69

As for your article (read at https://archive.is/eM5fe to avoid paywall), it says nothing other than Ambani/Adani deny wanting to get into agriculture/distribution. And that they were targeted because they are a symbol of cronyism.

Well, they can deny all they want, it doesn't matter. And they are cronyists.

Why should the people of Punjab (or India) tolerate undue concentration of economic power in a few corporate houses? That was the exact reason that President Teddy Roosevelt used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to break apart monopolies in the US.

Was Teddy Roosevelt a Sikh "attvaadi"? 

Some scale and technology does benefit the "economy of scale" but I'm a big believer in small enterprises finding optimal production for their size and keeping corporations out of things, especially food growth. They need to have their powers stripped. They in no way resemble the simple entities they were supposed to be. 

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Finding out disloyal ones. No surprise. 

Many of our lot seem stuck in shallow barn-dancing level nonsense, whilst the other side are very politically and socially astute. Obviously they have their own information networks. 

I think another reason why they encourage their youngsters to steer clear of 'panjabi culture' is because (despite their own personal discipline problems) they've seen first hand where it's led us a community, and want to steer clear of that. By this I mean the bimbo state of a lot of apnee jananis and clueless-fudhoo nature of the bhangra-paaing machines.   You have to give it to them though, I've seen them crawl up from being jokes well behind us, to owning big sections of the drug trade, transport (i.e. TFL), fried chicken shops and getting into property management and development.