Racism in the USA

Premi5

4 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

1. This is not the case. One or two junkie Somali Muslims robbing a bazurg or two in Etobicoke park is in no way reflective of the fact Caribbean migrant communities also share a similar Commonwealth migration story working in the same factories and encountering the same racism in years gone by and with good relations between Sikh and Caribbean elders throughout.

2. Yes more British Sikhs should make the move out to Canada.

The first comment of mine you quoted was tongue in cheek. 

I grew up in a very multicultural urban area with a fair few Caribbeans. Relationships are generally good now, but it wasn't without gang violence between browns and blacks in the late 80s/ early 90s (which they lost then). So it wasn't all peachy. But I agree with you in that generally, the experiences with that community have been positive.  

https://qns.com/2022/04/nypd-video-suspect-sikh-attack-richmond-hill/

NYPD releases video of suspect in Sikh attack in Richmond Hill

image.png.70a90d21243eb28e1b1f14d261bcdc63.png

The NYPD Hate Crimes Unit is now investigating the attack of an elderly Sikh man in Richmond Hill and released images of the suspect Wednesday morning. (Photo courtesy of NYPD)

The NYPD released video surveillance of a man who is suspected of attacking an elderly Sikh man in Richmond Hill Sunday morning.

Nirmal Singh, 70, was walking to the Sikh Cultural Society Temple at 6:45 a.m.and was in the vicinity of Lefferts Boulevard and 95th Avenue, when his assailant snuck up from behind him and allegedly sucker-punched him in the face in the unprovoked assault, before running off in an unknown direction, police said.

Following the attack, Singh was found roaming around the Gurdwara with blood on his face and jacket, community leader Japneet Singh told QNS.

Singh, who was wearing traditional Sikh articles of faith, was transported by private means to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken nose, cuts and severe bruising on his face and an injured wrist, and released, according to the NYPD.

The investigation is ongoing by the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force. The suspect is described as an adult man with a dark complexion and an average build. He was last seen wearing black sneakers, jeans and a blue hooded sweatshirt.

Nirmal, who is visiting New York for the first time on a tourist visa from Canada, was afraid to report the incident to the police fearing that he would be deported.

“This man was new to our country,” state Senator James Sanders said. “He had only been here for two weeks and this is not the type of welcome we want people to think occurs when they visit our country or community. I condemn this shameful attack, which is being investigated as a hate crime, and hope that the perpetrator is brought to justice.”

Anyone with information in regard to the identity of the suspects is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the CrimeStoppers website at nypdcrimestoppers.com, or on Twitter @NYPDTips. All calls and messages are kept confidential.

30 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

https://qns.com/2022/04/nypd-video-suspect-sikh-attack-richmond-hill/

NYPD releases video of suspect in Sikh attack in Richmond Hill

image.png.70a90d21243eb28e1b1f14d261bcdc63.png

The NYPD Hate Crimes Unit is now investigating the attack of an elderly Sikh man in Richmond Hill and released images of the suspect Wednesday morning. (Photo courtesy of NYPD)

The NYPD released video surveillance of a man who is suspected of attacking an elderly Sikh man in Richmond Hill Sunday morning.

Nirmal Singh, 70, was walking to the Sikh Cultural Society Temple at 6:45 a.m.and was in the vicinity of Lefferts Boulevard and 95th Avenue, when his assailant snuck up from behind him and allegedly sucker-punched him in the face in the unprovoked assault, before running off in an unknown direction, police said.

Following the attack, Singh was found roaming around the Gurdwara with blood on his face and jacket, community leader Japneet Singh told QNS.

Singh, who was wearing traditional Sikh articles of faith, was transported by private means to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken nose, cuts and severe bruising on his face and an injured wrist, and released, according to the NYPD.

The investigation is ongoing by the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force. The suspect is described as an adult man with a dark complexion and an average build. He was last seen wearing black sneakers, jeans and a blue hooded sweatshirt.

Nirmal, who is visiting New York for the first time on a tourist visa from Canada, was afraid to report the incident to the police fearing that he would be deported.

“This man was new to our country,” state Senator James Sanders said. “He had only been here for two weeks and this is not the type of welcome we want people to think occurs when they visit our country or community. I condemn this shameful attack, which is being investigated as a hate crime, and hope that the perpetrator is brought to justice.”

Anyone with information in regard to the identity of the suspects is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the CrimeStoppers website at nypdcrimestoppers.com, or on Twitter @NYPDTips. All calls and messages are kept confidential.

I was just asking all the brothers to get word out about who we are so we don't get 911 punched. 

7 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I was just asking all the brothers to get word out about who we are so we don't get 911 punched. 

How do you 'get word out' ? How do you/your friends/brothers educate those who don't know about Sikhs/Sikhi ?

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

How do you 'get word out' ? How do you/your friends/brothers educate those who don't know about Sikhs/Sikhi ?

Well bro. If you plant a bug in the ear of a youtube channel, and they have friends with channels, and their associated online platforms have users you can potentially reach a lot of people online, and through word of mouth. Especially if you spend a few days talking about what Sikhi is and who we as Sikhs are. I know it hadn't occured to us to do Parchar in the last two decades, but ..

Now we have brothers in california, washington state and city, east coast and all through the south not only talking about how we are a distinct and amicable group, but also they really dig a lot of Gurmat and have questions. 

The particular people I'm talking with are in the midst of reviewing their whole history, and history period and it's been a really perfect time to talk about Dasam Granth, Dharam, Dharam Yudh, as well as basics about Ithias, the Guru Sahiban and Purtan Gursikh structure and discipline. 

Maybe in two decades no more 911 punches. 

16343109153274744662314272478384.jpg.304ce35191e64bbf980fde0e8c87ee53.jpgkali-raja-ravi-varma.jpg.78a4f2080abdc46cbc9b99cdf7582db8.jpgDurga-Rajasthani-school-Mewar-collection.jpg.7bb5ee7d34ae58a34159bfe13371b7ae.jpg

Dharam vs adharmi is our past and our future. We best get the children of Dharam well fed, well educated, well trained and ready. 

Dasam Granth is not a story book to give us Bir Ras. It's True Story to give us Bir Ras. It's to both educate and inspire us about Dharam Yudh which is all too real.  Complete with ..an incredible accoutrement of supplementary information...to be succesful as a Gursikh...in Kalyug...for Dharam Yudh. 

Need help finding the Sakhi about when Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaja was asked about the Karam of those being enslaved, where he replied "They're higher than kings and queens" and also the Sakhi on Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Tamil Kings, and the seven handfulls of Sukha, and 7 cror Shaheed Singhs assigned to support the efforts of Khali. 

Oh and the Guru Nanak Dev Ji's visit to the vatican. 

Let's bolster our knowledge, our Faujs, and our Kirtan with some rooted, melenated people. 

Then let's let black Sikhs take point on Parchar about how our religion is the only like it. The only one that isn't a slave trader's tool. Then we let the entire continent of Africa watch us help each other globally, and our reputation in Africa? Secure. Our power around the world? Secure. Our Kirtan? You best believe it will be fantastic. Our Smagams? Lit. 

You want to correct our media image? Our message? Gain the interest of the world? Let some brothers help with that Kirtan and dump the harmonium. 

You want to see attitudes towards both our communities change? Stabd shoulder to shoulder stiff. And do it classy. 

It is when I make sparrow fight hawks, it is when I make lions out of wolves, it is when I make one fight with one hundred thousand that I am called Gobind Singh. 

When all has been tried, yet Justice is not in sight, It is then right to pick up the sword, It is then right to fight.

Dear God, grant my request so that I may never deviate from doing good deeds. That, I shall have no fear of the enemy when I go into battle and with determination I will be victorious. That, I may teach my mind to only sing your praises. And when the time comes, I should die fighting heroically on the field of battle 

All human beings have the same eyes, the same ears, the same body composed of earth, air, fire and water. The names Allah and Abhekh are for the same God; The same is referred to in the Puranas and the Quran. All human beings are the reflection of one and the same Lord. Recognise the whole human race as one.

It is of no avail to sit closing both eyes and meditating like a crane. This world is lost, and the next also, for those who go about bathing in the seas, desiring salvation. They pass their lives In vain dwelling in the midst of sin. I speak verily; hear me all – God is realised only through love.

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I'm telling you bro. We're each others missing pieces and our alliance goes back through the Yughs. Black Power and Power to All People is hand in hand with our struggle for Dharam Yudh and Khalsa Raj. We need the righteous among the melanated peoples to have their own Dharamsalis and Faujs and also feed some new blood into Khalsa Paanth. 

I've spoke to fair few black brothers and sisters about Sikhi over the years. It was never a contrived conversation  but came about when talking about spirituality and history. Once I went to this young brother's house I working with on a site for my lunch break (he lived around the corner), I was shocked to see he had books on Gurmat there amongst his collection. He told me his father was a practising rastafarian (although he was a mona). 

When you talk about Sikhi and our colonial experience, they understand more than many others. When you tell them about how we went from being hunted down by the most powerful empire of the time, with prices put on our heads, hiding in jungles to survive - to becoming sovereigns, within 70 odd years, many find it inspiring.  

One shortfall I find however is that they see islam as successfully challenging white hegemony and racism in a brave way, whereas some of our lot are only starting to do this on a corporate level recently by challenging the police and protecting 'Sikh spaces' like Gurdwaras and melas (not saying that Sikh brothers weren't directly confronting violent racists in the UK a few decades ago though). It's funny how our community was actively involved in challenging racism in the 60s/70s/80s but went all kumbha yaa as soon as it quietened down for a minute, and failed to teach their kids about that time  - which looks like it's left many younguns shocked at the re-emergence of the far right agenda in europe. 

• The topic was locked