Interesting photo and story -Jamadar Arjan Singh

8 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The Mutiny provided the opportunity of our people to exact revenge of what happened a decade earlier. 

A lot of the Sikhs during that time would have been soldiers of the Khalsa Empire. 

If you recall is that during the Khalsa Rule there were already European generals in the army so there was already an understanding of troop formations, battle tactics etc.

Like I said before, the anger was more towards the Purbias and the Dogras than the British.

If your house was burgled and your neighbour conspired with the burglar to burgle you, your ire would be the betrayal of your neighbour.

Armchair experts read history books, it can give you an understanding but it is no substitute with boots on the ground experience and it gives you knowledge that no history book can teach you.

I remember our armchair expert was waxing lyrical a few years ago about a Khalsa army general and how great he was during the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, but when I pointed out that in 1857 he had joined the British and fought for them in UP our armchair expert revised his opinion and said the former Khalsa general was a gaddar..lol.

Armchair experts especially those whose only experience of Punjab is through reading books and who are many thousands of miles away from Punjab tend to have a very binary view of any situation or individual. 

6 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Our history proves otherwise. That's why goray targeted illiterate pendus for their fauj. They thought educated people were giving them ideas above their station. Guru ji himself promoted literacy and a Sikh education. 

Your thinking in this respect is deadly. I'm not saying all illiterate people are gullible morons (my grand-dad was illiterate), but even illiterate adults are acutely aware of the disadvantages.  That's why so many put so much emphasis on their kids being educated. 

Since you are such an expert on Punjab, please share your wisdom regarding what should have been the Sikh response to the annexation in 1849?  It should make for an interesting discussion. 

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Our history proves otherwise. That's why goray targeted illiterate pendus for their fauj. They thought educated people were giving them ideas above their station. Guru ji himself promoted literacy and a Sikh education. 

Your thinking in this respect is deadly. I'm not saying all illiterate people are gullible morons (my grand-dad was illiterate), but even illiterate adults are acutely aware of the disadvantages.  That's why so many put so much emphasis on their kids being educated. 

The Goreh such McCauley in 1835 introduced the British education, that is why in India the Brown babus who worked in the civil service and the British educated elites in India were called McCauleyites. 

The British education system teaches what to think not how to think. Pendu illeterates are far smarter than you realise.

There is the old adage , " paddhe likhe befkoof "

Or as Nicholas Nassim Taleb calls them IYI "Intellectual Yet <banned word filter activated>"

2 hours ago, proactive said:

I remember our armchair expert was waxing lyrical a few years ago about a Khalsa army general and how great he was during the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, but when I pointed out that in 1857 he had joined the British and fought for them in UP our armchair expert revised his opinion and said the former Khalsa general was a gaddar..lol.

Armchair experts especially those whose only experience of Punjab is through reading books and who are many thousands of miles away from Punjab tend to have a very binary view of any situation or individual. 

How can a Sikh be a gaddar when he was fighting in UP against a people who initially joined up with the East India Company and helped them take over a country and then revolt because there was beef and pork fat in bullets and then try to bring back Mughal Empire,the people who committed genocide against our people?

If you have heard of "better the devil you know" , in our case it was "better the devil you don't know".

History is far more complex and nuanced and you have put yourself in their shoes.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, proactive said:

Your family history is the history of the majority of our people. My grandfather's younger brother also fought in the trenches of northern France. Unfortunately his didn't survive the war and became Shaheed in 1915. We have a matti in our village to commemorate him. His name is written at the Indian war memorial at Neuve Chapelle.

Neuve-Chapelle Memorial (CWGC) - WW1 Cemeteries.com - A photographic guide  to over 4000 military cemeteries and memorials

Before Corona we used to visit that memorial every year on his death anniversary. There is a visitors book there and there were so many comments by apnay whose ancestors fought in the battle and  have visited the memorial from  countries like UK, Canada and USA. 

http://www.radcliffeontrentww1.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Sikhs.png

Just commenting regarding this war memorial.

I went to Arlington Memorial in Washington DC many years ago and it was quite a sombre place.

Even though the Vietnam War was a big mistake and many Americans regret that war, they still commerate their war dead.

Even though I have mixed feelings, I still think we should remember our own, whatever we may feel regarding this war.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:46 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

The Goreh such McCauley in 1835 introduced the British education, that is why in India the Brown babus who worked in the civil service and the British educated elites in India were called McCauleyites. 

The British education system teaches what to think not how to think. Pendu illeterates are far smarter than you realise.

There is the old adage , " paddhe likhe befkoof "

Or as Nicholas Nassim Taleb calls them IYI "Intellectual Yet <banned word filter activated>"

I don't dispute the point that educated people can lack savvy, but again, if we look at the plethora of problems that our community have faced over the last 70 odd years, it looks like a complete lack of foresight in terms of economical development.   It's one thing to opportunistically jump into foreign lands for opportunities (which our lot do generally well) but it's another to develop a robust, interdependent economy in your own territory. Our lot are doing an exodus from Panjab due to failure of the latter. And right now, they look pretty clueless in this respect. That's where education can come in. If you expect an illiterate pendu to plan and develop a modern robust economical strategy, you must be insane. And which apnay parents don't want their children to be purhay likhay hoey these days. 

And you seem to be stuck in some loop? Whenever I mention education, you keep going back to a western model, like that is the only option. It's not. We can develop our own models. It's exactly this type undersight that screws us over. We've got a culture of low expectations of leadership going on right now.  

5 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Just commenting regarding this war memorial.

I went to Arlington Memorial in Washington DC many years ago and it was quite a sombre place.

Even though the Vietnam War was a big mistake and many Americans regret that war, they still commerate their war dead.

Even though I have mixed feelings, I still think we should remember our own, whatever we may feel regarding this war.

I think we need to get the focus off the sepoys and remember the genocide instead. There are important and pertinent lessons there. Promoting the former just increases the likelihood of generating a new crop of sepoys. We need to find alternative ways to train and arm our people (that's if the panth wants to go that way), and also exercise and teach a sovereign mindset instead of the usual docile, servile thing. I rather our people learn about the deadly consequences of  failing to focus on our own security than promote mercenary attitudes towards forming alliances with people who will leave you to die (without a blink) whenever you aren't useful to them, and I suspect just for the sake of it too (like a power move to keep people down).