Some home truths for Ravi Singh Khalsa Aid

proactive

On 4/22/2022 at 3:11 PM, Jassu said:

I really think the government of India put something in the water supply of Punjab or something to make punjabis more stupid and cuckish seriously 

is that possible, since many punjabis used to drink water from their own supply, some still do?

9 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

This whole forum is filled with people who want to dilute Sikhi so that they don't offend monay.

In fact, most singhs in general these days are prepared to bend over backwards to let monay practice whatever version of Sikhi fits their lifestyle.

Sikhs playing down Sikh interests in order to gain wider acceptance is mereley an extension of that.

this has been happening way too much since the last century. It started with a few people becoming monay to appease their british masters in India or just due to sikhi becoming increasingly poor due to illiteracy, then going on to more people becoming monay abroad to work and make money. 

The community became too soft when the number of monay was low, and when it became more, this started hurting the sikh community negatively and ended up with people from mona families actually hating people with kesh in an internal racist manner. Hopefully some families can reverse this but a lot of damage has been done!!

9 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

People like you prop up those who live an anti-gurmat lifestyle as panthic heroes, and then you cry about "interfaith anand karajs."

We got to "interfaith anand karajs" in the first place because nobody enforces any rules. The huge volume of anti-gurmat activity that takes place during typical "Sikh" wedding festivities has made it difficult for the community to draw the line.

Also, can you please learn to write properly? You are talking about "low iq" people, but you write like a third grader.

Once the Nihang Singhs Buddha Dal lost control, we have the SGPC to enforce the rules and their linked "Akal Takht" jathedar figure. Both being linked to the government, they are only going to enforce rules to a certain extent, and not to mention their SGPC maryada having input from sikhs which included "we know better than Guru" scholars, ignoring a lot of rules from rehitnamas.

The sikhs who follow the rules are those who have some knowledge of authentic rehitnamas. We need Budha Dal gursikhs like Akali Phoola Singh, Baba Jassa Singh Ahluwalia, Nawab Kapur Singh etc to be in charge and enforce the actual Khalsa rules instead of these committee rules and factionalism.

The rule which should have been enforced in the first place was that Guru Granth Sahib saroop should only be in Larrivar saroop as in Guru ji and puraatan times. Instead, the so-called rule enforcers used their printing press to mass print Granth Sahib saroop in pad ched (words split apart) and just give them out, look how many gurdwaras now have multiple saroop and multiple Akhand Paats going on!! 

I think the only time pad ched is acceptable is for training, in gutkas, senchis and maybe even pothis. The maryada was that if a gurdwara does not have enough sevadaars or none at all, then the Singhs can leave a shaster for matha tek or perhaps there is some other maryada. It should not be about everyone should have a Granth Sahib saroop. I would actually say, why shouldn't the sangat of a gurdwara get together and right larrivaar saroop.

So the modern form of Anand Karaj gained popularity since pad ched Granth Sahib saroop started getting parkash everywhere, and then the original Nirankari sect performed the first known modern style Anand Karaj around Granth Sahib with Amrith dhair sikhs. Remember that the modern ceremony was created for amrit dharis, and I guess it is acceptable for keshdharis as well.

With larrivaar saroop, there were comparatively only a few gurdwaras with Granth Sahib, and from Guru Gobind Singh times there it would be rare to have actual Guru Granth Sahib saroop, as most gurdwaras would still have the older uncompleted Adi Granth. So sikhs would need to write and compile more saroops. Therefore, due to lack of Granth Sahib saroop, sikhs would need to do their Anand Viyah or sikh viyah with whatever maryada was actually used back then.

....INSTEAD, now printing press gives multiple pad ched saroop Granth Sahib to anyone and mona families want to do their interfaith ceremonies, and yet other places are allowing other beadbis as seen in Punjab.

So firstly, so many Anand Karaj for moneh it really takes the mick and probably makes money/paisa for the gurdwaras.

Then, using Pad Ched Granth Sahib really needs to be though over and I think we should not, due to the mess that has occured from this. It seriously needs to be thought about!

6 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

Why should the Panth alienate sehajdhari members of the Panth given that including everyone (Amritdhari, Kesdhari, Sehajdhari) the Sikh Qaum only comprises 0.1% of the population in America. Why would such a small community wish to alienate members of its own faith and community? 

Nowhere near as much as Khalsa Aid despite British Sikh Council doing a superb job supporting Sikligar Sikhs that had been ignored for many years. Just for your info Cali Paji there are 100million sehajdhari Sikhs around today who connection with Sikhi has been lost in the last 75years. Had we focussed on re-connecting them with the Panth before 1984 (instead of focussing on Nirankari's, for example) then there would been no Congress Genocide of the Sikhs in the years in the 1980's.

So Sikhs comprise 0.1% of the population in America. 99.9% of the population are non-Sikhs. So do you advise that most Sikh men die alone and unmarried due to simple demographic constraints or that if Singhs marry spouses via Anand Karaj and raise their children as Sikhs and as part of the Gurdwara community that it is somehow a crime which we should behead them for?

What do you exactly mean by alienate sehajdharis? I think sehajdahris should be aware of what Guru ji does say about kesh and sikhi saropp, and it was somewhat difficult for, or hidden to, the wider panth to know about these resources a few decades ago.

It's a shame that sehajdhari now refers to monas, whereas I think it's more accurate for monas to be a separate category since sehajdharis used to be mostly keshdhari in the past.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:38 AM, proactive said:

Doesn't the very fact that a convert to Sikhi becomes a son of Guru Gobind Singh give him the right to claim all of our heritage from Guru Nanak to now? 

Yes, but that's if we are talking about a genuine, internalised conversion. The point being that many 'convert' for other reasons without any deep internal experience or genuine interest in Sikhi. Our ancestors were apparently aware of this:

19 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Why do you champion a religious identity that you contort yourself into knots to avoid? Wouldn't it be best to - as the old Punjabi saying goes - aapne aap nu takhe rakho?

Punjabi sardari minus any sense of religiosity is synonymous with alcohol, partying, low-IQ boisterousness, and general consciousness barely above animal desires. I've seen an ungodly amount of gloriously white uncut beards and moustaches drenched in the froth of a pint of golden beer, and they've all been Punjabi sardars.

At least a monah clearly signals his desire for non-conformity; a sardar straddles the dividing line of identity while pulling the wool over the eyes of everyone around him. I find that to be considerably more calculating and insidious than the blunt "don't care" attitude of monay.

Where did I say that it is okay to drink if you keep your kesh? I never said that.

I have never taken a drink of alcohol in my life. I have consistently expressed an anti-drinking opinion here.

Where did I say that it is okay to not be religious? I never said that.

It is ridiculous how you keep imagining me suggesting things that I never, in any form, suggested. It is ridiculous how you keep assuming that I hold certain views that I clearly (if you bother to read my posts) do not hold.

1 hour ago, proactive said:

That and the fact that he has a very well  oiled PR machine. Although I think KA has probably reached a plateau and will not go any higher.  The amount of pushback it is getting even from people in Punjab who tend to be more emotional than the diaspora and for whom the sight of a Nishan Sahib is some out of the way place seems more important than looking after our own. The Sikh focussed charities are getting more and more popular now and I can see in the next few years that they might surpass KA. 

I understand where you and others are coming from in their various critiques of KA.

But I will go back to my original point: KA is very clear that they do not focus on Sikh-related issues. Anyone with an internet connection can view their social media and see that. If that bothers someone, they should donate to other organizations that focus exclusively on Sikhs.

I don't donate to anyone.

42 minutes ago, Jai Tegang! said:

I think you're exaggerating this to suit your set pattern thinking. There are also some kesadharis who hold the same view of progressing to their logical next step, but we don't go hounding them out of the Panth. You seem to have a hard time digesting the ground realities of the religious adherence composition of the Panth.

Having fewer kesadharis and amritdharis is a result of our collective failures and inability to guard against modernity forces, especially in Punjab, given that we should have set the standard in our own majority area. But it can't be remedied by driving out and belittling  everyone below whatever bar you set. 

I'm not exaggerating anything. I have a hard time thinking of any mona I have met who has said "I am supposed to keep my kesh, but I don't. I should." Instead, they will make all kinds of arguments about why it is not required:

- Kesh is only required for amritdhari Sikhs (many people on SikhSangat even say this)

- They only believe in the first 9 Gurus and not Guru Gobind Singh (as absurd as that sounds, I have encountered multiple people who have stated this)

- It's not written in the Guru Granth Sahib that you need to keep kesh

- Kesh does not mean you are a good Sikh (and then they will give some examples), so it is not important

- Some shaheeds were monay, so kesh is not important

- What matters is what is in your heart, not on your outside

- lots of keshdharis/amritdharis are bad people, so kesh is unimportant

I could go on and on

Who is driving these guys out of the panth? They are already doing whatever they want and exerting greater control over Sikh institutions. On what basis do you claim that people are driving them out?

Nobody is pushing them out. Instead they are redefining Sikhi to suit their own lifestyles. And then people on SikhSangat complain about Sikhi being watered down.