Racism - callout as it is

S1ngh

7 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/at-least-8-dead-in-mass-shooting-at-buffalo-supermarket

Nazi drove 200miles to massacre African Americans killing 13 innocent victims at the latest count

Looks like the nazi went in prepared with a bullet proof vest. It's insane because the killer was flagged for mental health issues and having nazi views previously but was still able to buy guns?  

Ex-cop turned supermarket security guard is hailed a 'hero' after firing at Buffalo shooter 'multiple times' before being shot dead as bullets ricocheted of killer's armored plating

• Aaron Salter Jr, 55, had worked at the Tops Friendly Markets store in Buffalo, New York for the past four years after serving as a police officer for 30
  • When a gunman walked into the store on Saturday afternoon with an assault weapon, officials say, Salter pulled out his own weapon
  • He then reportedly fired at the gunman multiple times but was unable to pierce his armored plating, allowing the gunman to return fire and kill Salter
  • He was one of 10 people killed in the apparently racially-motivated attack
  • Police officials and family members are now hailing Salter as a hero 

Retired Buffalo Police Department cop Aaron Salter, pictured right, was working as a store security guard and shot suspect Payton Gendron, who returned fire and killed Salter

59 minutes ago, imhosingh said:

It looks like there may have been a global neo-nazi movement growing under our noses. 

It's easily achievable now as well - with the internet.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, CHaamCHrick said:

https://www.wuwm.com/podcast/lake-effect-segments/2012-08-07/expert-sikhs-have-long-been-targets-of-discrimination-violence?_amp=true

Sikhs have a rich history in and contributed greatly to the Milwaukee area - as they have had around the country.

But several sources have told us over the last couple of days that Sikhs have long been targets of discrimination and even violence, very much like the shootings at the Oak Creek temple. And while police maintain that they do not yet know of a motive behind Sunday's violence, it is hard for many in the community not to feel targeted once again.

Trinity College professor of South Asian History Vijay Prashad says Sikhs have dealt with racism and ignorance about their faith since they came to this country, particularly since 9/11. Prashad is the author of the book Uncle Swami: South Asians in America Today and recently wrote an opinion editorial on Sikhs in the United States called "The Sense of White Supremacy" at CounterPunch.com.

He joins Lake Effect's Stephanie Lecci on the phone from Connecticut, and gives us first a brief history of Sikhs in the States.

??

image.png

Sikhs don't have a "rich history" with "great contributions" to the Milwaukee area. Sikhs are not even a drop in the bucket. Nobody in America knows anything about Sikhs. Nobody cares about Sikhs, because how much power can a minority consisting of a tiny amount of people wield?

There is no "Sikh community" in the US. Most of the posters on Sikh Sangat are from the UK or Canada and are completely clueless about the US. They think that everyone grew up like them, living in a neighborhood with thousands of other Sikhs, with a different gurdwara every 500 feet.

5 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

There is no "Sikh community" in the US. Most of the posters on Sikh Sangat are from the UK or Canada and are completely clueless about the US. They think that everyone grew up like them, living in a neighborhood with thousands of other Sikhs, with a different gurdwara every 500 feet.

Unless someone's from Southall, Birmingham, or some similarly defined Punjabi ghetto, there aren't "thousands of Sikhs" living next to each other anywhere. We just happen to not easily take shittar from whites, blacks, or whomever else when we live in heavily mixed non-Sikh areas.

26 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

By the way, I'm sorry I didn't recognize all of the UK Sikhs who live in "heavily mixed non-Sikh areas."

It must be incredibly isolating not living in Southall, but instead living a whopping 5 miles away from it!

That says a lot about you. More than you realise.

31 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

The obvious reason why American Sikhs are unable to respond as a community to various things is staring you right in the face: no population density, nothing resembling a "community," and in turn no power or influence.

But rather than accept the obvious answer, you want to take this opportunity to engage in some pointless chest-beating. Is there something in the water there that makes you people (who come from the same culture and same pinds) different?

Let me ask you something about UK Sikhs. Why can't you do anything about the sorry state of Sikhs in France? No, don't tell me that France is a different country. It is a hell of a lot easier to get from London to Paris than it is from my family's home to the various places mentioned in this thread. And while you are at it, why don't you put on your mask and cape and go sort out the Italians mistreating Sikh farm workers in Italy? I would have to travel twice as far to get to Milwaukee as you would to get to Rome. Sikhs in France and Italy and Germany are MUCH more a part of your community than Sikhs in New York or Milwaukee are a part of mine.

That's how ludicrous you guys sound when you talk about the US.

It's all a question of scale I guess. Most Europeans don't think like Americans in the way you're conveying hopping from one separate nation to the next like it's a road trip where people drive through states. Stuff like language, culture / local customs, etc., are all rather concrete and definite over here. I don't think you have to learn a completely new language when you get to Milwaukee in order to converse with the locals. Borders are a thing although I guess you Commie ret4rds are determined to eliminate them, lol.