Why was Ranjit Singh given a punishment only on one specific occasion?

californiasardar1

4 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

I am not the most knowledgeable person about rehat, but it does seem to me that certain things (such as a requirement for women to wear dastars as per the AKJ, and vegetarianism) seem to have come to prominence in the last 100 years or so. Now, maybe these were originally parts of rehat that were lost over time due to wayward practices and the AKJ and Taksal and other groups were bringing them back. I don't know.

However, alcohol being forbidden seems to not be controversial. Or am I wrong?

Most Sikhs weren't fully versed on Rehat, and there were multiple maryadas. According to one Maryada the punishments for the 3 Kurehats was only 100 rupees, but for an Amritdhari to cut their Kesh was death and even though Guru Sahib himself, (Vaheguru's own light upon this earth), took upon Tankah for bowing to a grave, it wasn't really that common for Sikhs to do Tankah for misdoing the rehat from the time Guru Sahib left the world till about Singh Sabha. 

18 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

1. He was whipped for drinking alcohol and not on account of the urban myth promoted by Mullah's that it was because of erstwhile birth religion of his (Sikh) wife Moran Kaur.

2. It's am urban myth cooked up by Mullahs (yet imbibed by our own without critical analysis) designed to prevent Sikh males from taking wives from the majority Punjabi community and thus increasing the strength of Sikh demographics in Ranjit Singh's raj (which would have left many Muslim men childless as a result and possibly prevented the partition of Punjab over a century later). Think about it logically why would Guru Sahib prevent Sikh men from California from marrying from one of a pool of one billion (Muslim) women today so long as via Anand Karaj (with the bride accepting Sikhi by default via the puratan definition that anyone bowing down before Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj) and the children being raised Sikh. We know from history that the Khalsa Fauj married many of the rescued Hindu and Muslim slavegirls that were being abused and mistreated by Muslim men.

3. His alcohol intake and debauchery were exactly what caused him to be whipped.

1. Sikh faith does not arise from birth or parentage but via conviction as we see in the example of Bhai Mardana Ji the first Sikh in History (who was an apostate from Islam as we see when Wali Qandhari tried to murder Bhai Mardana Ji and Guru Sahib for that very reason).

2. Agreed

Did Moran adopt Sikhi after marriage to Maharaja Ranjit Singh? Did Maharaja Ranjit Singh build a Masjid (Masjid-e-Tawaifan) for her before their marriage or after? 

Deeply spiritual, Moran had a spiritual guide called Mian Jaan Mohammad of Laverian, who told her that a madrasa would benefit more people than a masjid. Manveen describes how Moran was instrumental in setting up a school for Persian and Arabic studies for students who would be spared the trouble of travelling all the way to Persia. 

Moran, the mystery woman

10 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

Do you have any references about him being sentenced to a whipping (my understanding is that he was never actually whipped) for alcohol? And how would that make sense given his apparent regular indulgence of alcohol?

Will try and dig those out for you Singh. I believe the explanation to be that on that occasion Akali Phula Singh actually caught Ranjit Singh drinking,

1 hour ago, 5aaban said:

1. Did Moran adopt Sikhi after marriage to Maharaja Ranjit Singh?

2. Did Maharaja Ranjit Singh build a Masjid? 

1. Yes. Anand Karaj always meant that regardless of erstwhile faith that those joined in holy matrimony thereafter became Sikh. Thus during the 1881-1941 period when the Sikh population almost doubled (following steep declines after annexation by the British Empire) that many couples who were both Hindu (bride and groom) and both Muslim (bride and groom) became new Sikhs as Anand Karaj was a free blessing that poor people were given which Mandir's and Mosques denied to the poor and socially ostracised.

2. No! Absolutely not! That is another urban myth cooked up by the enemies of the Sikh Panth who want to see 13,000 fully operational Mosques in each and every village of Punjab. What's more ridiculous is that these enemies of the Sikh Panth have gone above and beyond the lie that Ranjit Singh built mosques and mandirs to even stating that Guru Sahib built a Mosque and Muhammad Izhar Alam even promoted this depraved lie in cahoots with neo-Nihangs a few years back.

19 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

1. He was whipped for drinking alcohol and not on account of the urban myth promoted by Mullah's that it was because of erstwhile birth religion of his (Sikh) wife Moran Kaur.

2. It's am urban myth cooked up by Mullahs (yet imbibed by our own without critical analysis) designed to prevent Sikh males from taking wives from the majority Punjabi community and thus increasing the strength of Sikh demographics in Ranjit Singh's raj (which would have left many Muslim men childless as a result and possibly prevented the partition of Punjab over a century later). Think about it logically why would Guru Sahib prevent Sikh men from California from marrying from one of a pool of one billion (Muslim) women today so long as via Anand Karaj (with the bride accepting Sikhi by default via the puratan definition that anyone bowing down before Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj) and the children being raised Sikh. We know from history that the Khalsa Fauj married many of the rescued Hindu and Muslim slavegirls that were being abused and mistreated by Muslim men.

3. His alcohol intake and debauchery were exactly what caused him to be whipped.

Sikh faith does not arise from birth or parentage but via conviction as we see in the example of Bhai Mardana Ji the first Sikh in History (who was an apostate from Islam as we see when Wali Qandhari tried to murder Bhai Mardana Ji and Guru Sahib for that very reason).

1 hour ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

Will try and dig those out for you Singh. I believe the explanation to be that on that occasion Akali Phula Singh actually caught Ranjit Singh drinking,

1. Yes. Anand Karaj always meant that regardless of erstwhile faith that those joined in holy matrimony thereafter became Sikh. Thus during the 1881-1941 period when the Sikh population almost doubled (following steep declines after annexation by the British Empire) that many couples who were both Hindu (bride and groom) and both Muslim (bride and groom) became new Sikhs as Anand Karaj was a free blessing that poor people were given which Mandir's and Mosques denied to the poor and socially ostracised.

2. No! Absolutely not! That is another urban myth cooked up by the enemies of the Sikh Panth who want to see 13,000 fully operational Mosques in each and every village of Punjab. What's more ridiculous is that these enemies of the Sikh Panth have gone above and beyond the lie that Ranjit Singh built mosques and mandirs to even stating that Guru Sahib built a Mosque and Muhammad Izhar Alam even promoted this depraved lie in cahoots with neo-Nihangs a few years back.

Thank you for replying. I got a few more questions 

1. That Masjid built for Moran still exists, how do we know it's a myth and Maharaja Ranjit Singh didn't get it built? 

The Maharaja at Moran's request, built a mosque called as Masjid-e-Tawaifan, which was renamed in 1998 as Mai Moran Masjid in Lahore. This is located in Lahore's bazaar now called Pappar Mandi near Shah Almi Gate. 

2. Why did some of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Hindu wives commit Sati upon his death if they became Sikh through marriage? 

image.png.cace527c1e728631f6d1657232f97cf9.png

Eyewitness record of Maharaja Ranjit Singhs personal physician

image.png.068c92c73511578ca04bd11f0ff64867.png

32 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Thank you for replying. I got a few more questions 

1. That Masjid built for Moran still exists, how do we know it's a myth 

2. Why did some of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's 

1. The location for one. The Pakistani's are so intelligent at exploting tourism revenue from naive Sikhs (so that we cannot spend that same money wasted in Pakistan upon poor Sikhs in east Punjab) that they will happily dress up any old mosque with a cooked up story of association with Ranjit Singh knowing that Sikhs will lap it up without critical analysis. As per the famous recent lie bandied about since 1984 about Guru Sahib building a Mosque for Muslims. These lies are insidious and do massive damage to the Panth.

2. Look at the source! A gorah Christian! Bear in mind they had to cook up these stories to convert Ranjit Singh's son to Christianity and convince him of the supposed depraved savagery of Sikhi. There is no case of a political leader, King or Ruler in 19th century history whereby the top dog kept his religion and the wife or wives kept on praying to Slavemaster Muhammad or a Shivling. These falsehoods strain credulity beyond belief. It's almost like they remembered that the Muslims boast in the Quran and Hadiths Muhammad had thirteen wives and harem slavegirls that he used to satisfy in one night so they had to try and almost match that for Ranjit Singh with the added falsehood that most women should supposedly (using the false British Empire logic) never even bother becoming Sikh upon marriage to a Sikh man.

All of the Hindu and Muslim slavegirls that the Khalsa Fauj rescued from abuse and slavery at the hands of the Islamic armies became new Sikhs via Anand Karaj as they realised that Sikhi is the only faith that offers respect, dignity and equality to women. 

20 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Wow. You've grown up!

I would never have expected such a deep insight esp a controversial one from you. I had pegged you as a really black and white, this is the one correct way poster.

The  credit goes to @dallysingh101 and Sikh awareness forum ofc. Showcasing of the puritan ithihaas thru olden granths, historical/contemporary accounts was a major wake up call to Sikhs.

Flippin' 'ell sis. After what feels like years of getting sl@gged off for it, I'm in shock someone actually appreciates all that ithihaasic khoj. 

Ofc it might also be due to nihangs. Their bringing back all the things we had successfully repressed...time will tell if it's a good thing..

I don't think we originally suppressed it, rather it was part and parcel of the colonial agenda/strategy to 'tame' Sikhs post 'annexation'. I can't see how us getting familiar with and discussing our true ithihaas can be a negative in the long run. It may well cause a temporary bumpy ride for a bit I guess, whilst heavily, multi-generationally brainwashed apnay are forced to reconsider what they thought was historically true (that's if they have enough brains to even do this), but that's a price worth paying imo. What's the alternative? Feeding our own communities propaganda as if it was our true ithihaas? In this 'information age' any intelligent apna or apnee can now look at Sikh-ithihaas in a way never possible before. So even if people wanted to hide the truth, they'd struggle to do it with anyone even half-intelligent who goes out there to learn without blinkers.  This causes further schisms. 

We can say with hindsight, the hawkish belligerent attitudes of Akali nihangs in Ranjit Singh's time were bang on point. They knew what was going down ahead of time in terms of the subsequent 'annexation', and weren't swayed by the lure of pay offs from the 'feringnhees'.  Also, people don't really know how intimidating many Akalis were to the newly formed elite. They were like the alphas of the quom, ready to be shaheed for it, ready to confront the elites too.    

Personally I think the puratan mindset was better. Modern reformed thing just seems like dualistic abrahamic soch, mixed with victorian era thinking to me? Totally unstimulating. Spiritually dead. Mentally subordinate to eurocentric thought and struggling to come from out of it's influence.