Nama Singh

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

isnt the whole point of alcohol so that one is intoxicated? so what would be the point in drinking alcohol if it wont do anything to you? blush.gif )

you can relate this type of thing to Sikhi...somehow grin.gif - why recite Gurbani but not take it all in and practice the Guru's teachings? Why jap naam and not let yourself get intoxicated by His love?!

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sat Sri Akal:

First thing...when a Sikh goes to take Amrit from the Panj Pyare, they instruct the Sikh not to intake alcohol. That should be a case closed as per Sikhism.

Now for the hypothetical question by Aman Veerji. Your hypothetical situation requires a peering into reality. The reality is that the majority of people consume alcohol as a drug as a way to "chill out". As time goes on, it becomes a Band-Aid for all problems until the person could become an alcoholic. This is the reason why people drink alcohol (and yes, there is that peer pressure and social drinker stuff, which can also cascade into this same pattern).

Those who can consume alcohol without the side effects...what purpose would it serve them? It is the "side effects" that the people desire after all...the stupidity of no inhibition and lack of control. One who consumes alcohol and brags about not having any side effects...that is inflation of ego...also something that Sikhism has no use for.

Any way you look at it, alcohol, even if not categorically banned, has absolutely no use for a Sikh.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

My dad had a friend who suffered paralysis because he drank too much. Since then I swore to myself that I will never drink. Its so addictive that it makes your body dependant on itself, and you wanna drink more and more and your capacity increases (which some people feel as a matter of pride). As they say in some Bollywood films pehle aadmi sharaab peeta hai, phir sharaab aadmi ko peenay lagti hai (first a man drinks alcohol, then alcohol starts drinking the man).

wicked responses. what i meant was, what IF you could drink alcohol like u drink water etc? i mean, lots of us drink coke, tea, coffee, ribena, sunny D (for u yanks especially!), etc etc which do also effect us if we drink excessively. However, my point is that apparently, somewhere in the world there used to be (and still are) groups of people who can drink alcohol and all these other drinks without them having an adverse effect on them.

Thats a bit of an odd question!! IF we could drink alocohol then we would be no different to any other people who drink it. Intresting though that there are people who can drink and not have effects on them... grin.gif

However I still don't think that we would like to drink (I hope everyone else agrees!) blush.gif