Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Going in the west has actually damaged Sikhi more than benefiting it. Most children of immigrants will fully assimilate in a few generations, they won't speak Panjabi anymore or be Sikh (and many have already let go into the 2nd or 3rd generation). And since everyone is migrating, it will diminish Sikhi in Panjab further. 

yup true. I dont think i have seen many 3rd generation sikhs here in Canada at all. What happened to the ones that came in 1900's? One of the person's family is completely white and even changed their last name to some white one. But liberal low iq sikhs will tell you this is okay. Then why does everyone get assimilated into whites only if love is blind? I never see these mixed people marry back into the poc side ever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tallan sahib. The fact that people do this shows how spiritually bankrupt majority of people in Punjab are. Literally pathetic.

Many earlier immigrant groups are an example of this. How many 3rd generation immigrants of non-English European origins still speak their language? They're completely assimilated but since Panjabis c

You're right, this is properly disrespectful. Who is allowing this to go on unchecked? Doabans doing this, you can understand, but how is this stupidity spreading unchecked?  But these days,

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Any ideas as to what the response should be (to Punjabis) when people like us comment negatively on these kind of occurrences? They make the - admittedly valid - argument that we're only in foreign lands because our fathers, grandfathers, etc., came over. They claim that we don't have a leg to stand on when we criticise current Indian behaviour. Any ideas?

It doesn't seem like any exchange of ideas is possible. Characteristically, they'll just say what they feel needs to be said, without any impact on their normal thinking or behaviour. 

If you bring up any social issues with them, I imagine like all sociopaths, they'll rapidly label you as a fudhoo in their heads.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

yup true. I dont think i have seen many 3rd generation sikhs here in Canada at all. What happened to the ones that came in 1900's? One of the person's family is completely white and even changed their last name to some white one. But liberal low iq sikhs will tell you this is okay. Then why does everyone get assimilated into whites only if love is blind? I never see these mixed people marry back into the poc side ever.

Many earlier immigrant groups are an example of this. How many 3rd generation immigrants of non-English European origins still speak their language? They're completely assimilated but since Panjabis can be considered "newer" immigrants, they still live under a false impression that their great-grandkids will speak Panjabi and be Sikh. These people think listening to Panjabi music makes them "Panjabi" even if they don't understand a word. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5aaban said:

Many earlier immigrant groups are an example of this. How many 3rd generation immigrants of non-English European origins still speak their language, they're completely assimilated. These people think listening to Panjabi music makes them "Panjabi" even if they don't understand a word. 

Punjabis had sikhi for 500 years and did nothing. i think it is time to move on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

yup true. I dont think i have seen many 3rd generation sikhs here in Canada at all. What happened to the ones that came in 1900's? One of the person's family is completely white and even changed their last name to some white one. But liberal low iq sikhs will tell you this is okay. Then why does everyone get assimilated into whites only if love is blind? I never see these mixed people marry back into the poc side ever.

This reminds me of a Panjabi saying. The saying's a bit harsh if you know it (the Dhobi one, but it means you're left with no side to go to). Panjabi and Sikhi won't survive among most 3rd/4th generation Panjabis in the west and it will be decreasing in Panjab too due to rife immigration and people from other states coming in. So you're negatively impacted on both sides. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Many earlier immigrant groups are an example of this. How many 3rd generation immigrants of non-English European origins still speak their language? They're completely assimilated but since Panjabis can be considered "newer" immigrants, they still live under a false impression that their great-grandkids will speak Panjabi and be Sikh. These people think listening to Panjabi music makes them "Panjabi" even if they don't understand a word. 

punjabis reach canada and cut their kes how are they going to pass sikhi?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5aaban said:

This reminds me of a Panjabi saying (a bit harsh if you know it, but it means you're left with no side to go to). 

It shows how Panjabi and Sikhi won't survive among most 3rd/4th generation Panjabis in the west and it will be decreasing in Panjab too due to rife immigration and people from other states coming in. So you're negatively impacted on both sides. 

They distance themselves from their culture and Sikhi as they see whites as superior ,how are these people going to do anything for Sikhi? I don't know why sikhs never made any effort to convert these downtrodden people in India. Punjabis need to become minority among Sikhs as they have proven they are not worthy of it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

They distance themselves from their culture and Sikhi as they see whites as superior ,how are these people going to do anything for Sikhi? I don't know why sikhs never made any effort to convert these downtrodden people in India. Punjabis need to become minority among Sikhs as they have proven they are not worthy of it.

Today, I saw a video of a reporter at a Sikh rally asking a young western Sikh "how many panj pyaare are there" and he replied "4 or 6". So no knowledge of Panjabi (at least he could've understood panj means 5) and Sikhi. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Today, I saw a video of a reporter at a Sikh rally asking a young western Sikh "how many panj pyaare are there" and he replied "4 or 6". So no knowledge of Panjabi (at least he could've understood panj means 5) and Sikhi. 

dumb punjabis have turned sikh celebrations into food parties where people only come to eat food. Go to any nagar kirtan you will see people lining up to eat Pizza, pasta and what not. I am pretty sure this is not what the purpose of langar was?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, proudkaur21 said:

dumb punjabis have turned sikh celebrations into food parties where people only come to eat food.

He didn't even understand Panjabi (video was from Canada I think). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

This reminds me of a Panjabi saying. The saying's a bit harsh if you know it (the Dhobi one, but it means you're left with no side to go to). Panjabi and Sikhi won't survive among most 3rd/4th generation Panjabis in the west and it will be decreasing in Panjab too due to rife immigration and people from other states coming in. So you're negatively impacted on both sides. 

It's not completely hopeless. The 5th generation of my family have been born here. The father (my nephew) suddenly grew his kesh and wore a dastaar (I think under pressure from his dad) and his young son has his kesh and a patka. 

I don't know how well the Panjabi is going though. I think it may be a case of having to take the boy back home for a few weeks. This sorts them out from past experience - unless they are hardcore special needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

They distance themselves from their culture and Sikhi as they see whites as superior ,how are these people going to do anything for Sikhi? I don't know why sikhs never made any effort to convert these downtrodden people in India. Punjabis need to become minority among Sikhs as they have proven they are not worthy of it.

I think they didn't think it was materially beneficial to them?

We know our Guru's were on that hard though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's not completely hopeless. The 5th generation of my family have been born here. The father (my nephew) suddenly grew his kesh and wore a dastaar (I think under pressure from his dad) and his young son has his kesh and a patka. 

I don't know how well the Panjabi is going though. I think it may be a case of having to take the boy back home for a few weeks. This sorts them out from past experience - unless they are hardcore special needs.

It's not all hopeless, but with the majority it is. Good on your family though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one major part of the problem is the tendency to sort of regionalise or racialise Sikh identity, instead of revolving it around certain ways of thinking and behaving (on a deep level).  

Also, as I grow older, it becomes more and more apparent that Sikhi has a very strong intellectual component (as well as spiritual), especially when you look at literary activities in dasmesh pita's earthly time.  I think most Panjabis are averse to this - or struggle with it? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

It's not all hopeless, but with the majority it is. Good on your family though. 

Don't get it twisted, we have more than our fair share of issues, and that young boy is going to grow up with a few mixed-race older relatives. 

I wonder what he is going to make of that. Being in a relatively conservative/traditional small section of the family, when most aren't. lol!!!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use