First Akalis to be executed by the British:

5 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Probably has an older provenance? 

I believe so. I just find it interesting how it kinda just died out. It's like if the modern dumalla died out. I've actually seen some pictures of Nihangs wearing that specific dastar but I would have to do some digging to find them again. 

3 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

I believe so. I just find it interesting how it kinda just died out. It's like if the modern dumalla died out. I've actually seen some pictures of Nihangs wearing that specific dastar but I would have to do some digging to find them again. 

I only see them now as western museum pieces. I think all the chakars and mini shastars in them made them into sort of defensive helmets. Is it worth nihangs wearing them if they aren't going to war? Plus war is so different now.  

4 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Would you believe it! There’s a growing fashion trend in UK since last 10 years where teenage boys and young guys with kesh tie their hair back and wear a patka or african ‘durag’. They feel ashamed even to be seen with a joora on their heads. 

Meanwhile in Punjab (from what I see via social media) it’s rare to see an older teenager wearing patka. By age 14 onwards boys are tying really beautiful dastar or dumala. 

I think the flat over the forehead looks a thousand times better than the v over the forehead myself. 

I think this one could even take a gandasa to the head. Notice the detail of the bagh nakh. You could head butt someone with that and disorientate them enough to finish off.  

1767919241_augustschoefftnihangdetail.png.ecfc0acbfb6182161605faa72ad2bde3.png

5 hours ago, Singh375 said:

Would you believe it! There’s a growing fashion trend in UK since last 10 years where teenage boys and young guys with kesh tie their hair back and wear a patka or african ‘durag’. They feel ashamed even to be seen with a joora on their heads. 

Meanwhile in Punjab (from what I see via social media) it’s rare to see an older teenager wearing patka. By age 14 onwards boys are tying really beautiful dastar or dumala. 

You see loads of guys like that in Uni. I feel like people don't realize that there are easier and quick dastars to tie on. Personally, the Misl era one only takes one piece of material and like 4-5 larhs max. 

15 hours ago, Jai Tegang! said:

Thanks for sharing  the artwork @dallysingh101 It's fascinating to see how the dress of women has evolved, and contrasts with popular perceptions in present day jathas. Honest engagement with history really helps to chart the future.

Yeah, it seems we got more and more prudish post 'annexation'. Fast forward to now and we'd even give deeply suppressed victorians a run for their money in prudery.