dealing with shame and guilt

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

mental health +guilt/shame/anxiety + accepting hukam

So, i was wondering what parts of SGGS ji and Bani speaks on mental health as well as dealing with shane and what not.

To elaborate, i have bpd and as such have trouble detaching shame/guilt/etc from my past actions/situations/circumstances. As i try to incorporate Naam more and more into my daily life, i become more and more educated on/aware of/conscious of past behaviours/their consequences/behavioural cycles that i had/have or regurgitated from family and loved ones. Thus, as i learn more (thanks to Waheguru ji ofc), i find myself hurting and feeling shame for the actions i had taken/ways i behaved and treated others when i was at a lower level of consciousness. I did a lot that a Sikh isn’t supposed to before finding my way back home to Sikhi and often am not sure how to move past the past and not hate myself for it. 

Just wondering if Sangat has any advice. 🙏🏻

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

mental health +guilt/shame/anxiety + accepting hukam

So, i was wondering what parts of SGGS ji and Bani speaks on mental health as well as dealing with shane and what not.

To elaborate, i have bpd and as such have trouble detaching shame/guilt/etc from my past actions/situations/circumstances. As i try to incorporate Naam more and more into my daily life, i become more and more educated on/aware of/conscious of past behaviours/their consequences/behavioural cycles that i had/have or regurgitated from family and loved ones. Thus, as i learn more (thanks to Waheguru ji ofc), i find myself hurting and feeling shame for the actions i had taken/ways i behaved and treated others when i was at a lower level of consciousness. I did a lot that a Sikh isn’t supposed to before finding my way back home to Sikhi and often am not sure how to move past the past and not hate myself for it. 

Just wondering if Sangat has any advice. 🙏🏻

Gurbani speaks soo much on this topic. All the shabads about how i have a thousand faults and sins still you forgive me. Your kindness is more vast than my sins. How God protects anyone who dares to come to his Sharan. How countless sins eradicated from doing simran. Look at rehraas sahib. Jap tap Sanjam dharam na kamaayia...

Just tell yourself that your Guru is more wiser than you're stupidity. Also look at bhai gurdaas jis vaaran. IK CHARAN SHARAN GUR EK PAINDA JAI CHAL, SATGUR KOT PAINDA AAGAI HOY LETH HAI. Also Bhagat bani: HUM SAR DEEN, DAYAL NA TUM SUR. Forgive me the mistakes in writing these pangtis  Go dive into the ocean of gurbani to learn the true meaning of gratitude, self love, and forgiveness.