The Queen has died

Dsinghd

@dallysingh101

BBC Website:

Sikhs in Wolverhampton gather to mourn Queen in special ceremony

About 200 people gathered for prayers and to share their memories at a Sikh temple following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Prayers lasted for two days at Guru Teg Bahadur Gurdwara in Wolverhampton.

The Sikh holy scripture was recited in a special ceremony over the weekend and a langar meal was shared.

The Gurdwara said it was reflecting on the Queen's achievements, her role as head of the Church of England and her respect for other religions.

Guru Teg Bahadur Gurdwara in Wolverhampton

Image caption, 

About 200 people gathered in Wolverhampton, which has one of the largest Sikh populations in the West Midlands

The chair of the trust in the Gurdwara, Surjit Singh Uppal, said the Sikh community was grieving.

"I believe the Sikh community in this country are part of the family of the nation," he said.

"We are grieving for her, same as the rest of the country, and this is the message we would like to tell the British people that we are part of you."

Gurdeep Singh Aulakh, from the Gurdwara, said the Queen was "deeply" devoted.

"Being head of [the] Church of England was not an easy task for somebody who needs to balance the other faiths," he said.

"All I can say is obviously from myself, from family, congregation, friends, we really want to send the heartfelt condolence to the Royal Family."