How does one get out of suffering from the consequences of slander

Guest Singh255

Guest Singh255

Dear piyaare Sangat Jeeo 

I have a humble request to ask - how does one get out of suffering the consequences of slandering a saint. My background and story is complicated and so I will try to explain it in as much detail as possible in hopes that someone can help me. 

I am a 26 years old male who has been trying to practice sikhi, since as long as I can remember as a child. 

Since the start of this janam I have came into this world with a deaf ear (left ear). I suffer from mild to moderate hearing in my only functioning ear (right). This has lead me to believe that I may have slandered people in the past (possibly even a saint) to get this punishment. As a result of my past actions I struggle with life - my relationships are never at peace, my educational success is never good (I got 6 U’s at A levels), I got a 2:1 at university but after 6 years of studying and got a penalty for plagiarism. Even with a degree I work at a factory Wharehouse that gives me inconsistent shifts (3days work out of 7) which has lead me to be poor and miserable… 

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕ੝ ਰਾਜ ਤੇ ਹੀਨ੝ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕ੝ ਦ੝ਖੀਆ ਅਰ੝ ਦੀਨ੝ ॥ 
Sanṯ kĝ ninḝak rĝj ṯė hīn. Sanṯ kĝ ninḝak ḝukẖī­ĝ ar ḝīn. 
The slanderer of the Saint has no kingdom. The slanderer of the Saint becomes miserable and poor. 

I have no friends I speak non of my cousins as no one wants to associate with me, everyone talks behind my back including my family (close and far) doubt me, they believe I’m a failure, a loser, tehy call me stupid and goofy, untrustworthy and unreliable. I’ve suffered a car accident at 21. I was brought up in absolute violence, as my parents used to fight over their marriage. I have no hope for the future as nothing ever goes right for me. These are just some of the issues I face in my life, there are plenty more… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦਾ ਅਪਵਿਤ੝ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਨਹੀ ਮਿਤ੝ ॥ 
Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī saḝĝ apviṯ. Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī kisai kĝ nahī miṯ. 
The slanderer of the Saint is forever impure. The slanderer of the Saint is nobody's friend. 

All of these issues have led me to realise that I have slandered a saint in my past life somewhere and I am suffering as a result. Sukhmani sahib says to slander a saint is the worst sin of all, I believe it. 

sukhmani sahib says: ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਠਾਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਲਝ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੪॥ 
Sanṯ kė ḝokẖī ka­o nĝhī ṯẖĝ­o. Nĝnak sanṯ bẖĝvai ṯĝ la­ė milĝ­ė. ॥4॥ 
The slanderer of the Saint has no place of rest. O Nanak, if it pleases the Saint, then even such a one may merge in union. ॥4॥ 

I really do feel that I have no place of rest. 

it also says: ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਅਧ ਬੀਚ ਤੇ ਟੂਟੈ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਿਤੈ ਕਾਜਿ ਨ ਪਹੂਚੈ ॥ 
Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī aḝẖ bīcẖ ṯė tūtai. Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī kiṯai kĝj na pahūcẖai. 
The slanderer of the Saint breaks down mid-way. The slanderer of the Saint cannot accomplish his tasks.

As you can see from my personal life (education and work) my affairs don’t get accomplished. 

I really do believe I suffer like this… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਇਉ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਜਲ ਬਿਹੂਨ ਮਛ੝ਲੀ ਤੜਫੜਾਇ ॥ 
Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī i­o billĝ­ė. Ji­o jal bihūn macẖẖulī ṯaṛafṛĝ­ė. 
The slanderer of the Saint bewails like this - like a fish, out of water, writhing in agony.  

as nothing goes right in my life. 

sukhamni sahib also describes the reason for my deaf ear… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਬਿਗੜ ਰੂਪ੝ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥ 
Sanṯ kĝ ḝokẖī bigaṛ rūp ho­ė jĝ­ė. Sanṯ kė ḝokẖī ka­o ḝargeh milai sajĝ­ė. 
The slanderer of the Saint becomes deformed. The slanderer of the Saint receives his punishment in the Court of the Lord.

As you guys can see, I have reason to believe that I have slandered a saint in my past life and I am in a janam where I am suffering the consequences of it and there seems to be no escape. I practice Gurbani as much as I can, I am inconsistent due to my suffering as if I’m suffering I reduce my bani. On average over the last 10 years I do my nitnem at minimum, sometimes though I go weeks without doing it. I listen to a lot of Gurbani shabads include: har jio nimaania tu ma’am, tohi mohi mohi tohi, rogi kar parbh kandoh rog, Lakh kushiyan pathshiyan, kar bande tu bandagi, vin boleya san kich jandha, man tu jot saroop hai apna mool pachan and many more. 

if you guys have gotten this far reading my post thank you, my question is how do I erase the sin of slandering a saint, it feels as if there’s no way out for such a sin. A apologies for my poor grammar and structure of this post. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.  Please enlighten me sangat jeeo. Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh 🙏🏽

WJKK WJKF

I'm in the same boat as you.

My sleep and diet is poor. I'm educated such as yourself but struggle to keep a real job. Never had a real relationship with the opposite gender. Can't say much about past life but I do catch myself slandering. 

Going for walks and reflecting on yourself helps. Listening to shabad gurbani while walking is another way of clearing your mind. Also never talk ill of someone with somebody else this is probably the first step to move ahead. 

This is probably something we have to figure out ourselves. 

WJKK WJKF

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, Guest Singh255 said:

Dear piyaare Sangat Jeeo 

I have a humble request to ask - how does one get out of suffering the consequences of slandering a saint. My background and story is complicated and so I will try to explain it in as much detail as possible in hopes that someone can help me. 

I am a 26 years old male who has been trying to practice sikhi, since as long as I can remember as a child. 

Since the start of this janam I have came into this world with a deaf ear (left ear). I suffer from mild to moderate hearing in my only functioning ear (right). This has lead me to believe that I may have slandered people in the past (possibly even a saint) to get this punishment. As a result of my past actions I struggle with life - my relationships are never at peace, my educational success is never good (I got 6 U’s at A levels), I got a 2:1 at university but after 6 years of studying and got a penalty for plagiarism. Even with a degree I work at a factory Wharehouse that gives me inconsistent shifts (3days work out of 7) which has lead me to be poor and miserable… 

The slanderer of the Saint has no kingdom. The slanderer of the Saint becomes miserable and poor. 

I have no friends I speak non of my cousins as no one wants to associate with me, everyone talks behind my back including my family (close and far) doubt me, they believe I’m a failure, a loser, tehy call me stupid and goofy, untrustworthy and unreliable. I’ve suffered a car accident at 21. I was brought up in absolute violence, as my parents used to fight over their marriage. I have no hope for the future as nothing ever goes right for me. These are just some of the issues I face in my life, there are plenty more… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦਾ ਅਪਵਿਤ੝ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਨਹੀ ਮਿਤ੝ ॥ 
The slanderer of the Saint is forever impure. The slanderer of the Saint is nobody's friend. 

All of these issues have led me to realise that I have slandered a saint in my past life somewhere and I am suffering as a result. Sukhmani sahib says to slander a saint is the worst sin of all, I believe it. 

The slanderer of the Saint has no place of rest. O Nanak, if it pleases the Saint, then even such a one may merge in union. ॥4॥ 

The slanderer of the Saint breaks down mid-way. The slanderer of the Saint cannot accomplish his tasks.

As you can see from my personal life (education and work) my affairs don’t get accomplished. 

I really do believe I suffer like this… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਇਉ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਜਲ ਬਿਹੂਨ ਮਛ੝ਲੀ ਤੜਫੜਾਇ ॥ 
The slanderer of the Saint bewails like this - like a fish, out of water, writhing in agony.  

sukhamni sahib also describes the reason for my deaf ear… ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਬਿਗੜ ਰੂਪ੝ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥ 
The slanderer of the Saint becomes deformed. The slanderer of the Saint receives his punishment in the Court of the Lord.

As you guys can see, I have reason to believe that I have slandered a saint in my past life and I am in a janam where I am suffering the consequences of it and there seems to be no escape. I practice Gurbani as much as I can, I am inconsistent due to my suffering as if I’m suffering I reduce my bani. On average over the last 10 years I do my nitnem at minimum, sometimes though I go weeks without doing it. I listen to a lot of Gurbani shabads include: har jio nimaania tu ma’am, tohi mohi mohi tohi, rogi kar parbh kandoh rog, Lakh kushiyan pathshiyan, kar bande tu bandagi, vin boleya san kich jandha, man tu jot saroop hai apna mool pachan and many more. 

if you guys have gotten this far reading my post thank you, my question is how do I erase the sin of slandering a saint, it feels as if there’s no way out for such a sin. A apologies for my poor grammar and structure of this post. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.  Please enlighten me sangat jeeo. Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh 🙏🏽

You can ask for forgiveness for any nindya you've done in previous janams and make sure you don't do anyones nindya in this life, and if you happen to, to ask for their forgiveness and Wahegurus forgiveness. When we've committed wrongful acts, it's wise to admit what we've done, to accept it's happened and to ask for forgiveness for it. Also to make sure we don't do it again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, Guest Singh255 said:

Dear piyaare Sangat Jeeo 

At the end of each astpadi itsays how to be forgiven. Usually it says if a sant forgives you, you will be forgiven.

So try to find a sant. Do ardaas to find a sant. If you can't find one, bhai pinderpal singh said you can choose one of the historical ones. He chose sant ishar singh ji rara sahib wale. Then you read about their jeevan and try to think about them and try to learn lessons from their life.  Basically revolve your life around the sant.  So that you should dream about them.  And then if you ask them for help, they will help. 

Also satguru is all powerful. So try to do chalisa at amrit vela, sukhmani sahib paath. It should help. Visit baba deep singh gurudwara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

the answer must be in Sukhmani paath, where you read about the slander.  

also, be careful not to jump to conclusions.  a lot of people can relate to your situation.  

at least you have a job.  and a lot of people hate their jobs.  

shift work has benefits that a 9-5 does not, in terms of you can do things at times of days that others cannot.  warehouse job you can do simran or keep your mind free to think about things that interest you/your ambitions.  thats harder in office jobs etc where you have to use your mind more.

a lot of people have not done well at their studies.  you persevered for six years- that shows grit, and you admit to plagiarism (rather then do wrong and then deny it)- that shows your are always improving your morals.  

a lot of people have family problems and social problems.  you got through them all.  you are an intelligent person who can admit their faults and who looks for solutions.  give yourself some credit.  despair is not the answer.  

imo, you sound like you have depression.  it must make you off-putting socially, maybe you say odd things without realising it and thats why your friends and cousins keep away form you.  there may be logical explanations for this.

God and Saints are merciful.  They are good and they will help you.  Don't despair.  Keep going for grace of God.  Sants do not have enemies.  They help anyone who wants help.

Look at life of bhagats, sants.  They did not slander any sants but had problems too.  Bhagat Prahlad's father tried to murder him and Bhagat Dhruv was insulted and rejected as a child.  Drupaadi had to undergo humiliation. 

Also that paath- dokhee- that means someone who troubles (harrasses) a sant.  I do not think you are doing that the currently, right?  Its a warning to people who are currently doing that.  'dokhee' means pain, not slander ('nindya').  we should not do dokhee or nindya of anyone, sant or not.

• 11 months later...
Guest HumAkaali
On 1/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, Guest Singh255 said:

Dear piyaare Sangat Jeeo 

I would say just one thing to you listen/read the sakhi or history of the shabad 'dhan dhan ram das gur, jin seveya tine savaareya" the entire histroy of how that shabad came into being, i think you will find something there what i am trying to tell you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 11:23 PM, Guest guest said:

the answer must be in Sukhmani paath, where you read about the slander.  

also, be careful not to jump to conclusions.  a lot of people can relate to your situation.  

at least you have a job.  and a lot of people hate their jobs.  

shift work has benefits that a 9-5 does not, in terms of you can do things at times of days that others cannot.  warehouse job you can do simran or keep your mind free to think about things that interest you/your ambitions.  thats harder in office jobs etc where you have to use your mind more.

DISAGREE, ANY job done needs the mind set to it. So warehouse will employees be busy stacking / labeling? (Physical movement). I would say though, probably Gatehouse Security can do Naam Simran all night long. 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:23 PM, Guest guest said:

a lot of people have not done well at their studies.  you persevered for six years- that shows grit, and you admit to plagiarism (rather then do wrong and then deny it)- that shows your are always improving your morals.  

a lot of people have family problems and social problems.  you got through them all.  you are an intelligent person who can admit their faults and who looks for solutions.  give yourself some credit.  despair is not the answer.  

imo, you sound like you have depression.  it must make you off-putting socially, maybe you say odd things without realising it and thats why your friends and cousins keep away form you.  there may be logical explanations for this.

God and Saints are merciful.  They are good and they will help you.  Don't despair.  Keep going for grace of God.  Sants do not have enemies.  They help anyone who wants help.

Look at life of bhagats, sants.  They did not slander any sants but had problems too.  Bhagat Prahlad's father tried to murder him and Bhagat Dhruv was insulted and rejected as a child.  Drupaadi had to undergo humiliation. 

Also that paath- dokhee- that means someone who troubles (harrasses) a sant.  I do not think you are doing that the currently, right?  Its a warning to people who are currently doing that.  'dokhee' means pain, not slander ('nindya').  we should not do dokhee or nindya of anyone, sant or not.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:19 AM, Guest Singh255 said:

if you guys have gotten this far reading my post thank you, my question is how do I erase the sin of slandering a saint, it feels as if there’s no way out for such a sin.

First of all, while it's true that Gurbani says slandering a Saint has such-and-such effects, you can't do the reverse: You can't look and your situation and know for certain what caused it.

We're not encouraged to mope over our situations but rather to accept the hukam (will). The last line of the very first pauri of Japji Sahib says to live in hukam:

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
hukam rajāī chalanā nānak likhiā nāl .1.
O Nanak! By obeying, the pre-ordained order of the Lord's will.

Secondly, the astpadhi from which you quoted the Sant ka dokhi verses has this verse at the end:

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਆਪਨ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਇ ॥
jis nō kripā karai tis āpan nām dēi .
God gives His Name to those unto whom He shows His mercy.

So ask for his mercy. Also check out the 7th Astpadi, which talks about the good effects of the sangat of a Sadhu:

https://khojgurbani.com/shabad/271/709?highlighted_scripture_id=12007&highlighted_scripture_lang=gurmukhi&selected_content=gurbani

I'm not getting into who is a "true" Sadhu in this post.