Debating the Dasam Granth by Robin Rinehart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, dallysingh101 said:

I've been reading this for the last few days. I think it's a really good study, and quite stimulating to read. I recommend it for everyone. 

You can download it from the fourth post in this thread: 

https://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/19584-debating-the-dasam-granth-by-robin-rinehart/  

Could you make the download available again?

Secondly, I personally object to this professor lady or any other non-Sikh butting into our business. "Debating the Dasam Granth" sounds like an Orientalist study of tribals fighting each other. Like, "Pointed Battle: Towards an Understanding of Why Hutus and Tutsis Hate Each Other".

I don't want any white women (or men) studying us like lab specimens.

I rather have it out with a missionary Sikh than have outsiders stick their noses in.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, dallysingh101 said:

rhinehart 3.png

I can actually agree with this paragraph, while also desiring for her to stay the hell out of our business.

For her, the "Dasam Granth" is an object of study. It might as well be the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Code of Hammurabi for her. It's just a "text", an item for her to transform into a study, which then transforms into a professorship, which transforms in money, grants, awards, and gratification of her hankar (ego).

For us, the Dasam Granth Sahib is not object of study. It is our Guru's bani. It is the vehicle through which our Guru breathes the spirit of martial resistance into our Panth. Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is a living manifestation of our Miri, not a dead "text".

11 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Could you make the download available again?

Secondly, I personally object to this professor lady or any other non-Sikh butting into our business. "Debating the Dasam Granth" sounds like an Orientalist study of tribals fighting each other. Like, "Pointed Battle: Towards an Understanding of Why Hutus and Tutsis Hate Each Other".

I don't want any white women (or men) studying us like lab specimens.

I rather have it out with a missionary Sikh than have outsiders stick their noses in.

I'm super suspicious of western works myself, but I read this, and I think it was spot on. It comes to very similar conclusions about Dasam Granth that some of us who grew up with DG being demonised and looked into ourselves came to. I found it highly perceptive, more than some standard pendu level analysis. 

Try now, I put a new link in the first post. If you have any issues downloading, let me know. 

6 minutes ago, BhForce said:

For us, the Dasam Granth Sahib is not object of study. It is our Guru's bani. It is the vehicle through which our Guru breathes the spirit of martial resistance into our Panth. Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is a living manifestation of our Miri, not a dead "text".

From what she wrote I think she is aware that this is not just a 'text'  for us. 

She also seems to understand its relevance and utility for people.  

3 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Try now, I put a new link in the first post. If you have any issues downloading, let me know. 

Could you just put the link here?

The Google Books link just leads to a preview (which shows only footnotes and not the body of the book).