Gurdas Maan's "Apna Punjab Hove" music video and song are profound

Watch the video. In a few minutes, it captures the complete victory of secular, degenerate "Punjabiyat" over Sikhi. It does so in several ways.

First, it celebrates anti-Sikh practices as central and beloved parts of everyday life in Punjab:

- Alcohol is referred to not just in the chorus, but also in other lines (like the one referencing a peg)

- Maan celebrates being a jatt

- People are playing cards (and therefore probably gambling)

Second, it almost erases the Sikh presence from Punjab

- The vast majority of men in the video are monay, of the rest almost all are beard trimmers. There are one or two Sikhs with beards in it. Even most of the old men are monay. The video was made in the mid 90s.

- The flagrant deletion of the Sikh presence in Punjab is perhaps most apparent in a scene featuring a "baba" who grabs Maan's ear during the card game. How ludicrous is it that, in the the mid 90s, a "baba" in Punjab has a haircut, a mustache, no beard, and a sloppily tied pagh with the final layer left hanging on the back? The man looks like a Haryanvi Hindu jaat. I've never seen an elderly Sikh (even trimmers and monay) wearing a pagh with a mustache but no other facial hair or stubble. Not nowadays, and DEFINITELY not 30 years ago. In Maan's revisionist Punjab, the elderly Sikh "baba" archetype is replaced by a Haryanvi Hindu jaat. Let that sink in for a moment.

Third (and perhaps most disgustingly): along with the near-absence of Sikhs, we see a large proportion of the men wearing military uniforms. I take it you guys know what the Indian military was responsible for in the decade and a half prior to when the "Apna Punjab Hove" video was produced. So why would the military be featured so prominently in the video? It is symbolic and sickening: the Sikhs have been defeated, and the military is left standing, celebrated as the true sons of Punjab as they dance and engage in anti-Sikh practices (drinking).

That is the Punjab that is celebrated by Maan (and most dimwitted, shameless Punjabis of modern times): a Punjab free of Sikhi and taken over by a bunch of degenerates.

The most sad this is that, while Maan was engaging in ludicrous revisionism, his depiction is what Punjab has more-or-less become.

I agree with some of your points and understand where you're coming from regarding Gurdas Maan (he has been quite problematic) However, 

• Not all old Baba's keep a long beard and hair. It sometimes depends on regions of Punjab too. Personally, I've come across Sikh Baba's who wore/wear a "Haryanvi"-style white turban and don't keep hair on their heads/long beards. This isn't a recent trend, I've personally seen old black & white photos where Baba's were like that. There are also some old Baba's in villages who are Hindus and some of them don't keep long beards but still wear a turban (as it's cultural, not just religious). So the Baba in Maan's video may be a Hindu? But I agree with you as well, Maan should've showcased more diversity in his video and included several long-bearded Baba's. 

• People playing cards in the video are most likely not gambling. Playing cards is a very common pass time for middle aged and old men in rural Punjab and they gather in the evenings to play.

• Regarding the military shown, I understand why Sikhs will have a problem with it due to history. But in reality, most rural Punjabis don't have a problem with the military (experience in southern areas of Punjab). They actively join it and see it a great "career" so that's why Maan showed it in his video. Albeit, the trend has now shifted to moving abroad rather than joining the army. 

• Promoting alcohol is very wrong, he shouldn't have endorsed it. 

• And I agree, singers/actors need to stop bringing up the partition in every song/movie. We have plenty of history and beautiful Haveli's, Qila's, medieval buildings, ancient/Indus valley civilization sites, etc in east Punjab too that no one bothers to explore/preserve as we're so stuck in pre-partition era. We're neglecting east Punjabi history over the long gone British Punjab. 

On 3/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, californiasardar1 said:

Watch the video. In a few minutes, it captures the complete victory of secular, degenerate "Punjabiyat" over Sikhi. It does so in several ways.

First, it celebrates anti-Sikh practices as central and beloved parts of everyday life in Punjab:

- Alcohol is referred to not just in the chorus, but also in other lines (like the one referencing a peg)

- Maan celebrates being a jatt

- People are playing cards (and therefore probably gambling)

Second, it almost erases the Sikh presence from Punjab

- The vast majority of men in the video are monay, of the rest almost all are beard trimmers. There are one or two Sikhs with beards in it. Even most of the old men are monay. The video was made in the mid 90s.

- The flagrant deletion of the Sikh presence in Punjab is perhaps most apparent in a scene featuring a "baba" who grabs Maan's ear during the card game. How ludicrous is it that, in the the mid 90s, a "baba" in Punjab has a haircut, a mustache, no beard, and a sloppily tied pagh with the final layer left hanging on the back? The man looks like a Haryanvi Hindu jaat. I've never seen an elderly Sikh (even trimmers and monay) wearing a pagh with a mustache but no other facial hair or stubble. Not nowadays, and DEFINITELY not 30 years ago. In Maan's revisionist Punjab, the elderly Sikh "baba" archetype is replaced by a Haryanvi Hindu jaat. Let that sink in for a moment.

Third (and perhaps most disgustingly): along with the near-absence of Sikhs, we see a large proportion of the men wearing military uniforms. I take it you guys know what the Indian military was responsible for in the decade and a half prior to when the "Apna Punjab Hove" video was produced. So why would the military be featured so prominently in the video? It is symbolic and sickening: the Sikhs have been defeated, and the military is left standing, celebrated as the true sons of Punjab as they dance and engage in anti-Sikh practices (drinking).

That is the Punjab that is celebrated by Maan (and most dimwitted, shameless Punjabis of modern times): a Punjab free of Sikhi and taken over by a bunch of degenerates.

The most sad this is that, while Maan was engaging in ludicrous revisionism, his depiction is what Punjab has more-or-less become.

Why drag this bollox out after decades? It's not like we don't have other more impending issues. 

3 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

You don't have to be a musical genius to realise there are many similarities in the two songs. 

They're completely different songs. If you think the video may have similarities, then those kind of videos were common in that era for many songs.