Struggling with Faith

Guest Guest dharam

Guest Guest dharam

Hello, 

my faith is wavering, I have tried to upload this many times but it never has. I am not sure who to talk to about this as there is no one I am comfortable to share my thoughts. But I am struggling with religion and how to choose the right one. How do we know sikhi is the right religion rather than religions like islam and christianity. I used to be confident as a kid but as I grow up I am not as sure and lack faith. I wonder if it is because our community is small? Or fear mongering from the Abrahamic faiths

Any advice or experience would be very helpful.

Tell me, what other religions have had a prophet give up his life for another religion? Tell me what other religions have had their holy books confirmed to be written by their founders? Why is Guru Nanak called Hindu ka Guru, musalman ka pir? Something is special about this religion.

Eho tisar Mazabh Hum Khalsa Upjeyo Pardhana.

The third path, us Khalsa, have risen to be supreme.

If you want to know how I know this path is true, personally I believe Ihave experienced a watered down version of Dasam Dwar. It is not passed a high avastha, probably just Dharam Khand experiences, but the descriptors of this experience are only found in Eastern faiths. 

I also have a question for you. Would an all-loving God only give you one life to reach heaven? Would an all loving God put you in hell for eternity for trusting in another faith? Absolutely not. This is why the Abrahamic God that fearmongering people use cannot exist. At least, this is my reasoning. You might choose a different route of life other than sikhi, but just use critical thinking to analyze every religions beliefs, and figure out who's faith reigns supreme.

WJKk WJKF

On 4/4/2023 at 9:04 PM, Guest Guest dharam said:

Hello, 

my faith is wavering, I have tried to upload this many times but it never has. I am not sure who to talk to about this as there is no one I am comfortable to share my thoughts. But I am struggling with religion and how to choose the right one. How do we know sikhi is the right religion rather than religions like islam and christianity. I used to be confident as a kid but as I grow up I am not as sure and lack faith. I wonder if it is because our community is small? Or fear mongering from the Abrahamic faiths

I don't think this is a religion, it's a dharam or more like a culture. 

Guest guest

Hello, 

what is your birth religion?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hello, 

this dilemma was very much around in Guru Nanak's time (Hinduism ' vs ' Islam).

the basic principles of the religions are the same.  

whatever religion you follow, you need to follow it in the right way.  this means to cleanse your heart ("who loves- they find God"), be an honest person ("higher still is truthful living"), cultivate kindness ('daya/prem') and genuine (not fake) humility ('garibi'), conquer your mind (conquer your mind=conquer the world), follow the instructions of the religon accurately with love, trust and faith.  Drop all 'koor-kapat' (lies, fakeness, deception, filth, external or hidden, hypocrisy, false show).  Be free as much as possible from the five thieves- lust, greed, pride, enchantment, anger.  Accept the existance of God and the supremacy of His Will.

this is all in Guru Nanak's Gurbani.  I suggest you start there.  If you can't read/understand Gurmukhi, you can read a good book about Guru ji's Bani along with quotes, that might be a good start.

Worship of God's Name(s) is the easiest and most direct way of connecting with Him in your heart (i.e. worship).  you don't need any prior education, special clothing or sacred locations, or other people, to do this.  

all the religions have belief in Naam (sacredness of God's name).  Jesus spoke of doing things 'in the Father's Name'/'Thy Name be hallowed (sacred)',praying 'in the Name'.  Every chapter of the Quran starts with Bismillah.  all religions have some form of Simran (dhikr, japa, 'pray without ceasing').

Guest Anonymous Sikh

Hi Dharam, 

I hope you are ok, as losing faith can be very hard but I promise everything will be ok no matter what you conclude. As someone who has also struggled with faith (I come from a Sikh background too) and have looked at other religions too especially the Abrahamic traditions, and decided not to adopt any other faith.

I think the best way to approach this would be if you have specific questions about Sikhi I think other Sikhs can help you on this forum. However I hope if you have any questions about the Abrahamic traditions especially Islam, as to why you may feel attracted to it (have they made claims that attract you to it?), I maybe able to help you by giving my personal opinion about why I personally do not believe it to be the truth. I rarely ever go on the Sikh forums (and I'm not even too sure what made me decide to go on today!) and have been very busy so If i forget to come back on to reply, I apologise in advance lol but if I remember I will try and reply back to you. 

One thing I do think is that regardless of what you believe, have faith in God, be good to others and everything else will be ok :)

Kind Regards, 

Singh 

• 9 months later...
Guest AkaaliSimranKaur
On 5/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, Guest Anonymous Sikh said:

Hi Dharam, 

I hope you are ok, as losing faith can be very hard but I promise everything will be ok no matter what you conclude. As someone who has also struggled with faith (I come from a Sikh background too) and have looked at other religions too especially the Abrahamic traditions, and decided not to adopt any other faith.

I think the best way to approach this would be if you have specific questions about Sikhi I think other Sikhs can help you on this forum. However I hope if you have any questions about the Abrahamic traditions especially Islam, as to why you may feel attracted to it (have they made claims that attract you to it?), I maybe able to help you by giving my personal opinion about why I personally do not believe it to be the truth. I rarely ever go on the Sikh forums (and I'm not even too sure what made me decide to go on today!) and have been very busy so If i forget to come back on to reply, I apologise in advance lol but if I remember I will try and reply back to you. 

One thing I do think is that regardless of what you believe, have faith in God, be good to others and everything else will be ok :)

Kind Regards, 

Singh 

You explained in a nice, kind way that they won't feel intimidated! i felt compelled to quote this!

GurFateh! 

Guest HumAkaali
On 5/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, Guest Anonymous Sikh said:

Hi Dharam, 

Kind Regards, 

Singh 

You explained in a nice, kind way that they won't feel intimidated! i felt compelled to quote this!

GurFateh! 

On 4/10/2023 at 1:18 PM, Guest GUPT said:

Tell me, what other religions have had a prophet give up his life for another religion? Tell me what other religions have had their holy books confirmed to be written by their founders? Why is Guru Nanak called Hindu ka Guru, musalman ka pir? Something is special about this religion.

Eho tisar Mazabh Hum Khalsa Upjeyo Pardhana.

The third path, us Khalsa, have risen to be supreme.

If you want to know how I know this path is true, personally I believe Ihave experienced a watered down version of Dasam Dwar. It is not passed a high avastha, probably just Dharam Khand experiences, but the descriptors of this experience are only found in Eastern faiths. 

I also have a question for you. Would an all-loving God only give you one life to reach heaven? Would an all loving God put you in hell for eternity for trusting in another faith? Absolutely not. This is why the Abrahamic God that fearmongering people use cannot exist. At least, this is my reasoning. You might choose a different route of life other than sikhi, but just use critical thinking to analyze every religions beliefs, and figure out who's faith reigns supreme.

WJKk WJKF

You have explained in a beautiful way! 

Gurfateh!