The Fascinating Truth About Vaisakhi 1699

It's actually kind of funny, because I later found out that 99% of the songs played at Punjabi wedding parties in my youth were by UK-based artists. I guess that's what all the American DJs liked.

It's really weird when I encounter Punjabis from India who have never heard any of the songs by those UK-based artists that I presumed every Punjabi knew ...

Sadly, I think the dominance of British Punjabi singers is over even in the UK. Now Punjab-based singers dominate everywhere. I saw some buffoons dancing to the "3 peg" song as street performers in Leicester Square. And all I saw in Southall was posters of Punjab-based singers.

1 hour ago, californiasardar1 said:

It's actually kind of funny, because I later found out that 99% of the songs played at Punjabi wedding parties in my youth were by UK-based artists. I guess that's what all the American DJs liked.

It's really weird when I encounter Punjabis from India who have never heard any of the songs by those UK-based artists that I presumed every Punjabi knew ...

Sadly, I think the dominance of British Punjabi singers is over even in the UK. Now Punjab-based singers dominate everywhere. I saw some buffoons dancing to the "3 peg" song as street performers in Leicester Square. And all I saw in Southall was posters of Punjab-based singers.

Yeah we don't have groups like this any more. What happened was that the younger generation was more into the turn-tableism that was used as fillers inbetween groups in gigs. Some of those DJs started doing ground breaking mixing of different genres with Panjabi tunes with vinyl on their decks. Later, people started to actually produce fusion tunes with their PCs.

We've had discussions on this forum before, on how the overt violent racism and exclusion of the times sort of pushed brown folk towards the whole bhangra scene.   

Anyway! In that video, I think one really interesting point was how all these variant accounts of amrit ceremonies in puratan texts might be down to them describing different events.   

3 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yeah we don't have groups like this any more. What happened was that the younger generation was more into the turn-tableism that was used as fillers inbetween groups in gigs. Some of those DJs started doing ground breaking mixing of different genres with Panjabi tunes with vinyl on their decks. Later, people started to actually produce fusion tunes with their PCs.

We've had discussions on this forum before, on how the overt violent racism and exclusion of the times sort of pushed brown folk towards the whole bhangra scene.   

Anyway! In that video, I think one really interesting point was how all these variant accounts of amrit ceremonies in puratan texts might be down to them describing different events.   

That's really interesting, I will have a listen.

I am very interested in more detailed accounts of Sikh history. I am convinced that there is a lot missing and oversimplified in the mainstream Sikh narratives.

46 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

That's really interesting, I will have a listen.

I am very interested in more detailed accounts of Sikh history. I am convinced that there is a lot missing and oversimplified in the mainstream Sikh narratives.

The video makes a very cogent argument that what we now know as the Khalsa birth narrative is actually an amalgamation of a number of events.