Turning into a passport bro

3 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

It would be interesting to know how you met the Colombian girl and how long you have been corresponding.

She is a mature student,  from here , but she goes back to Columbia every end of term, I have known her on and off past two years and past 8 months I have been seeing her so to speak.

7 minutes ago, redoptics2013 said:

She is a mature student,  from here , but she goes back to Columbia every end of term, I have known her on and off past two years and past 8 months I have been seeing her so to speak.

Okay, I was concerned it was someone you had met online and had only corresponded with from afar. If you have known her for so long in "real life" then you probably have a solid idea of what you are getting into. I don't know if your situation belongs in the "passport bro" category 🙂.

I presume you have been able to accurately gauge whether her interest in Sikhi is genuine. Was she previously a practicing Catholic? Or was she effectively atheist or agnostic?

How old is she? What is her past in terms of relationships (divorced, never married, etc.)?

On 5/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, californiasardar1 said:

But she is surely primarily (if not entirely) interested in you because you live in a more prosperous country.

Steady on mate. I think he lives in deepest, darkest northern monkey territory. That backwards, shytehole would be off putting for even third world people.......phew  

4 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Steady on mate. I think he lives in deepest, darkest northern monkey territory. That backwards, shytehole would be off putting for even third world people.......phew  

If western nations had open borders; it would be overpopulated by Desis; and UK would be India 2.0

9 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

If western nations had open borders; it would be overpopulated by Desis; and UK would be India 2.0

Pendu apnay are perfectly capable of creating shytehold ghettos, look at Southall. Look at how some apnay also create drug fuelled crime waves complete with skyrocketing murder rates (in-between themselves) in certain parts of Canada.

22 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Pretty much every mixed race Sikh boy that I've seen raised wearing a guti ends up cutting their hair. 

I don't think that has to go with them being mixed race, seen countless punjabis cutting their hair, especially around my age right now. It's because they were only sikhs because their of their parent(s), just like a lot of the goreh in the west who's parents go church but they don't take their kids. Make sure to raise the kids in a way that they have their own love for waheguru, and they want to go to the gurdwara on their own accord, not because they're being forced to and it's a chore. 

Sikhi is well above race, imo race shouldn't be a barrier. Somethink that we're currently lacking is expanding into non-punjabis because we prioritise keeping our 'punjabi roots' over sikhi. Culture changes over time, sikhi doesn't, it's eternal, above all race and culture. 

27 minutes ago, Kaurr said:

I don't think that has to go with them being mixed race, seen countless punjabis cutting their hair, especially around my age right now. It's because they were only sikhs because their of their parent(s), just like a lot of the goreh in the west who's parents go church but they don't take their kids. Make sure to raise the kids in a way that they have their own love for waheguru, and they want to go to the gurdwara on their own accord, not because they're being forced to and it's a chore. 

Sikhi is well above race, imo race shouldn't be a barrier. Somethink that we're currently lacking is expanding into non-punjabis because we prioritise keeping our 'punjabi roots' over sikhi. Culture changes over time, sikhi doesn't, it's eternal, above all race and culture. 

I personally think every Sikh has to learn Gurmukhi,  and we need to try and get out of do your nitnem and everything is fine mentality.  Guru Granth Sahib Ji has 1430 angs there is so much to learn . For instance you want to know indepth what a real Gurmukh is read Sidth Gosht. Also Guru Nanak Sahib Ji explains Shabad is Guru and singing bani is a must because of sound vibrations the words produce when pronounced.

Just now, redoptics2013 said:

I personally think every Sikh has to learn Gurmukhi,  and we need to try and get out of do your nitnem and everything is fine mentality.  Guru Granth Sahib Ji has 1430 angs there is so much to learn . For instance you want to know indepth what a real Gurmukh is read Sidth Gosht. Also Guru Nanak Sahib Ji explains Shabad is Guru and singing bani is a must because of sound vibrations the words produce when pronounced.

Obviously every sikh has to learn gurmukhi, the phonetics in gurmukhi cannot be accurately translated to other language, however reading baani in english or hindi or spanish or whatever is better than reading no baani at all for people who cannot read gurmukhi yet

I think everyone should read Guru Granth Sahib ji as many times as possible, with meanings, you learn so much. It's also good to read dasam granth and sarabloh granth. We should read as much as possible imo, we're lacking a lot of knowledge in sikhi. 

Kirtan is essential imo, if anyone has the opportunity to learn raag kirtan, they should, and make sure kids know kirtan as well, it's the one thing that connects you. 

That's all part of religion though, learning gurmukhi, reading baani, learning about sikhi, and learning sikhi is for sikhs, not punjabis, we have to remember that the two are not synonymous.