Akal Takht diktat against same-sex marriages

Deep Singh

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050117/punjab1.htm#1

Akal Takht diktat against same-sex marriages

Varinder Walia

Tribune News Service

Amritsar, January 16

Denouncing the practice of same-sex marriages, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, Jathedar of Akal Takht, has, in his directive, urged the Sikh sangat not to allow the holding of such ceremonies in any gurdwara of the world.

Taking serious view of the proposed move of the Government of Canada to introduce same-sex marriage bill in the House of Commons, he described it as ‘anti-Gurmat’ trend that had no place in Sikhism. The directive, the first of its kind, has been issued under the seal of Akal Takht.

The directive reads that the rising trend of same-sex marriages in western countries was a matter of concern. The move of certain countries to give legal accordance to such marriages had already initiated a worldwide debate. He said Sikh code of conduct did not allow such marriages.

A same-sex marriage in Amritsar had already hit the newspapers headlines.

Jathedar Vedanti said the idea of same-sex marriages originated from sick minds. The trend needed to be curbed, he said. He urged the Sikh sangat to seek guidance from Guru Granth Sahib and act as per the Sikh philosophy to stop such anti-human tendencies.

The issue of same-sex marriages has become a hot issue in Canada these days where a large number of Sikhs are settled. The cancellation of the visit of Canadian Prime Minister, Mr Paul Martin, to Amritsar for paying obeisance at the Golden Temple is being attributed to this controversy.

While, former

Premier of British Columbia and Federal Minister Ujjal Dosanjh, who was to accompany Mr Paul Martin to Amritsar, had stated that the Canadian Government was committed to allowing same-sex marriages, Mr Gurmant Grewal, three-time member of Canadian Parliament, held that in 1998, the House of Commons had said that the traditional definition of marriage, meaning that it was between a man and a woman, should be retained.

There are six Sikh Members of Parliaments in Canada who had taken diametrically opposite stand on the issue. SGPC’s general secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur had already urged the Sikh MPs to rise above petty politics and take stand as per the Sikh maryada.

Guest balwinderkaur
ok same sex marriage is wrong...

but is homosexuality?! i mean they can't help it if they are gay... how can they STOP them from being that way.... ?!

psychological treatment can help in changing such behaviours. go see a clinical psychologist a.s.a.p. if one discovers homosexual tendencies and WANTS TO CHANGE. it can be put under control with proper treatment. thing here is, when most of such homosexuals discover that their orientation differs from the norm, they are embarrassed to seek treatment. but there is help for them out there. just a matter of whether they wanna seek it or continue the way they are. my half-cent

Well what happens if some government policy (in the future) says that no one can disallow same sex marriages, and in that sense they should be held also in the religious centers. Something like the Sikh turbans in France, where the state interfers with private issues. For US people this is very odd, but this is close to reality in some european countries.

I have no firm opinion about same sex relataions/marriage, but for sure, i see that it is no compatable with 'Gursikh jeevan'.

If two such people were going to marry in India/Punjab, as it is there personal business....i think the state shouldn't interfer there either. just as they shouldn't order 'religious institutions' to perform such marriages. the Gurdwaras should follow the commands from Akal Takht.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well, if I understand the law being proposed in Canada correctly, it states that same-sex marriages are acceptable by the state, but no church/religious group that is against providing such marriages can be forced to do such marriages in their place of worship.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!