Should jeans be banned at Gurdwara?

japmans

Sangat Jio!

Some days ago, news agencies reported that SGPC is planning to ban girls from wearing jeans, and re-enforce chunni (or keski, so head is covered). The thing is: jean-wearing girls can't properly do matha tek for the obvious reasons.

I fully understand this point (head covering part and decent clothing..), however i also think that SGPC should asign job to some sevadars forming a task force who look after gunda type boys who go to Gurdwaras not to do bhakti, but are just looking after girls.

At the same time: Gurdwaras are open to all, but only if those people obey the rules followed there. Like no smoking/alcohol. Similar this thing, that there should be no 'checking out' and those kinds of things at Gurdwaras (what ppl do outside is their business)...

Any views?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even tho im not a girl, but I wear Jeans to Gurudwara and i can Matha take just fine? What are the obvious reasons?? Head covering is required to be in the Gurudwara, but what does that have to do with jeans??

What does the clothes that i and others wear have to do with the intentions of going to the Gurudwara.

whenever girls matha take with jeans, they usually have to pull their pants up cause otherwise they go too low...but they do that while they are matha taiking.. thumbs_down.gif ...that would be the obvious reason i believe

its not proper for gurdwara, thats the main reason, plus the reasons deep veerjee noted

males usually wear slacker jeans with belts etc with longer shirts that dont cause the underwear,etc to show

Even tho im not a girl, but I wear Jeans to Gurudwara and i can Matha take just fine? What are the obvious reasons?? Head covering is required to be in the Gurudwara, but what does that have to do with jeans??

What does the clothes that i and others wear have to do with the intentions of going to the Gurudwara.

SGPC showing how bad an organisation it really is again.

They are headed by a person charged with murdering her daughter.

Women are not allowed to do seva in Darbar Sahib and SGPC does not have the bottle to stand up against this.

They have failed to look after Sikh heritage.

They have turned the Akal Takht Jathedari into a joke where Jathedar are changed on a regular basis.

They allow SGPC elections to have reservations for scheduled castes even though Sikhi as taught by our Guru does not have a caste system.

Alcohol is freely distributed by SGPC members when standing in SGPC elections.

All these things and all they are bothered about is people wearing jeans. The SGPC are a total waste of time. What about those trouser suits all the girls were wearing a while back. They going to ban them as well ?

Time the SGPC was reformed and all the dead wood removed.

Not all girls that wear jeans wear sluttish/tightish jeans that expose parts of their body..

Anyway, if jeans are banned from being worn in the gurdwara then that is fine as long as it is applicable to males as well. I have seen some guys that come to the gurdwara with jeans that are tight as well as tight tops, so if there is such a ban it should be applicable across the board.

Anyway, I am not sure banning jeans will be the perfect solution because some girls wear pants that are equally inappropraite.

I firmly agree we should dress appropriately to the gurdwara and not in a way that will encourage males or females to lust after you, but like I said this doesn't just apply to females.

bhul chuk maaf!

Girls should be smart enough to know what kind of jeans are bendable, and what kinds aren't.

I think most girls know enough to cover themselves.

Instead of banning jeans, perhaps there should be a more general statement saying that Girls should wear clothes that don't show skin in the wrong areas.

but by banning jeans at the gurdwara , i reckon a lot of youth would stop going to the gurdwara.

but they can make an effort not to wear inapropriate clothing.

I wore jeans once to the gurdwara they wernt slutish etc but i felt that i cdnt do a proper matha taak! so i didnt wear them again.

But you have to think if you were to ban jeans from the gurdwara... you would have to also bann males etc: and have to think if the sangat would drop!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I think that Mahavir and Gupat Singhni got good views. Not necc. banning jeans will solve the problem; some types of jeans can be ok, and some types of jeans wore by men can be equally "bad"..so i got you point.

All in all, to quote you: 'more general statement' that both girls and boys should wear decent/appropriate cloths to the Gurdwara (infact all the times, however, that is like their personal doings and up to themselves). Secondly, girls and of course boys should keep their heads covered.

grin.gif once agani desi ppl are using the stone age thinking that only guys can lust toward girls and not vica versa. Using the taliban approach isnt gonna solve anything.

Education is the key, Gurdwaras should inform the youngsters of what is appropriate and what is inappropriate. This could be done by having classes or some other medium but banning will only cause relebian.

What if France says "oi you are banning jeans, in that case we will ban turbans"?