Mind And Soul

BibaKaur

extract taken from "The Power of Thoughts"

Mind is the link between ‘sense world’ and the ‘soul realm’. Mind operates through thought, which is a subtle, vital, living, force; capable of acquiring infinite power. Thought is a subtle wave or vibration emanating from the mind are called ‘thoughts’.

There are infinite types of vibrations of love,

hatred,

envy,

jealousy,

anger,

sensuality, etc., in the cosmos.

Depending on the ‘principle of like attracts like’, we attract certain types of vibrations from the cosmos according to our ‘instinct’ of previous and present life. Consequently, these vibrations are potentised by frequent repetition. In this way, we in turn generate and transmit these vibrations in the cosmos.

Everything there is in the universe in the material from (seen) had its origin first in thought (unseen). What we speak is a mere expression of thought. Poetry, a great writing, a fine piece of art, or a science and engineering marvel are all the results of thought.

Thought is, in fact, the primal force of the genesis at the back of all creation. The present universe is the cumulative result of our collective thoughts and feelings. The universe, in reality, is the projection of our mind, which in itself is the store-house of computer of our acquired impression, which is expressing themselves in impulses and thoughts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why I think this, maybe it's from my minimal understanding of Gurbani or my own thoughts alone: I always think of the mind as something which can be corrupted, which has a lot of useless thoughts/ideas, which I use for work/study. I think of the soul as something purer, something which has a connection with God.

kbIru ] mwrU ]

kabeer || maaroo ||

Kabeer, Maaroo:

rwmu ismru pCuqwihgw mn ]

raam simar pashhuthaahigaa man ||

Meditate in remembrance on the Lord, or else you will regret it in the end, O mind.

pwpI jIArw loBu krqu hY Awju kwil auiT jwihgw ]1] rhwau ]

paapee jeearaa lobh karath hai aaj kaal out(h) jaahigaa ||1|| rehaao ||

O sinful soul, you act in greed, but today or tomorrow, you will have to get up and leave. ||1||Pause||

lwlc lwgy jnmu gvwieAw mwieAw Brm Bulwihgw ]

laalach laagae janam gavaaeiaa maaeiaa bharam bhulaahigaa ||

Clinging to greed, you have wasted your life, deluded in the doubt of Maya.

Dn jobn kw grbu n kIjY kwgd ijau gil jwihgw ]1]

dhhan joban kaa garab n keejai kaagadh jio gal jaahigaa ||1||

Do not take pride in your wealth and youth; you shall crumble apart like dry paper. ||1||

jau jmu Awie kys gih ptkY qw idn ikCu n bswihgw ]

jo jam aae kaes gehi pattakai thaa dhin kishh n basaahigaa ||

When the Messenger of Death comes and grabs you by the hair, and knocks you down, on that day, you shall be powerless.

ismrnu Bjnu dieAw nhI kInI qau muiK cotw Kwihgw ]2]

simaran bhajan dhaeiaa nehee keenee tho mukh chottaa khaahigaa ||2||

You do not remember the Lord, or vibrate upon Him in meditation, and you do not practice compassion; you shall be beaten on your face. ||2||

Drm rwie jb lyKw mwgY ikAw muKu lY kY jwihgw ]

dhharam raae jab laekhaa maagai kiaa mukh lai kai jaahigaa ||

When the Righteous Judge of Dharma calls for your account, what face will you show Him then?

khqu kbIru sunhu ry sMqhu swDsMgiq qir jWihgw ]3]1]

kehath kabeer sunahu rae sa(n)thahu saadhhasa(n)gath thar jaa(n)higaa ||3||1||

Says Kabeer, listen, O Saints: in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you shall be saved. ||3||1||

ok

the page u gave, the font does not show up in this pc

if jeeara means life, then explain the tuk "paapi jeeara lobh karat hai aaj kaal uth jaahiga"

also expain this tuk

jIArw hir ky gunw gwau ]1] rhwau ]

jeearaa har kae gunaa gaao ||1|| rehaao ||

O my soul, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

if you do not take jeeara to mean soul how about this

shsY jIau mlIxu hY ikqu sMjim Doqw jwey ]

sehasai jeeo maleen hai kith sa(n)jam dhhothaa jaaeae ||

The soul is polluted by skepticism; how can it be cleansed?................................................................................

ijsu jIau AMqru mYlw hoie ]

jis jeeo a(n)thar mailaa hoe ||

If someone's soul is polluted within,

qIrQ BvY idsMqr loie ]

theerathh bhavai dhisa(n)thar loe ||

what is the use of his traveling to sacred shrines of pilgrimage all over the world?................................................................................

mYlw hir ky nwm ibnu jIau ]

mailaa har kae naam bin jeeo ||

Without the Name of the Lord, the soul is polluted.

iqin pRiB swcY Awip BulwieAw ibKY TgaurI pIau ]1] rhwau ]

thin prabh saachai aap bhulaaeiaa bikhai t(h)agouree peeo ||1|| rehaao ||

The True Lord God has Himself administered the intoxicating drug of corruption, and led the mortal astray. ||1||Pause||

or does jio mean life as well?

if so maybe you could tell me what the word for "soul" is in gurbani?

The link has the meanings given in Prof. Sahib Singh Ji's teeka, I think : ) Whenever you get the chance you can read it on another PC.

if jeeara means life, then explain the tuk "paapi jeeara lobh karat hai aaj kaal uth jaahiga"
also expain this tuk

I get the feeling from your cyber-tone that it would not be a good idea to argue with you. However, I am very sure there are thousands of meanings of the word Jio in Gurbani. I don't think we should rely solely on the translations used on STTM.

I don't know very much about Gurbani, so I'm not going to say anything else : )

The link has the meanings given in Prof. Sahib Singh Ji's teeka, I think : ) Whenever you get the chance you can read it on another PC.
also expain this tuk

I get the feeling from your cyber-tone that it would not be a good idea to argue with you. However, I am very sure there are thousands of meanings of the word Jio in Gurbani. I don't think we should rely solely on the translations used on STTM.

I don't know very much about Gurbani, so I'm not going to say anything else : )

no i agree with you

we should not rely soley on sttm

nor should we rely soley on prof sahib singhs teeka

we should rely soley on gurbani

we should read as much gurbani as we can and we can see where the word jio is used and in what context and from that we should be able to build up a picture on what it means in each context.

perhaps you could provide some gurbani tuks which supports your idea of the soul being pure?

and i doubt very much there are thousands of different meanings for the word jio

if so perhaps you would like to tell us a few of them?

im sorry if my cyber tone sounded offensive

im merely trying to see where you came up with your theory from

im just asking questions

please provide gurbani to back up your ideas and we can disuss them in a nice calm manner :-)

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

we should rely soley on gurbani

I'm sure those fortunate souls such as yourself do that : ) but illiterate people like me rely on translations and other people's knowledge by reading Steeks etc.

perhaps you could provide some gurbani tuks which supports your idea of the soul being pure?

I'm afraid you will have to be disappointed in this case as I would prefer not to lower Gurbani to my level, merely to support the thoughts in my head.

and i doubt very much there are thousands of different meanings for the word jio

IMHO just because we cannot see those different meanings, doesn't mean they are not there. Some people will be able to talk for hours on just one word/ang of Gurbani, but I'm not one of those people. This is a different topic and I'm not going to mention it again : )

Please do not PM me again as I have nothing further to say - please respect my decision : ) - I just thought this was a good topic to bump up.

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh