Food For Thought

WJKK, WJKF Sangat Ji (just wanted to share the following):

The saying that "we are what we eat" is often the common reply you get from doctor's/fitness instructors etc..

If we look at it from the Gurbani perspective guru ji says:

isrIrwgu mhlw 1 ]

sireeraag mehalaa 1 ||

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

siB rs imTy mMinAY suixAY swloxy ]

sabh ras mit(h)ae ma(n)niai suniai saalonae ||

Believing, all tastes are sweet. Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted;

Kt qursI muiK bolxw mwrx nwd kIey ]

khatt thurasee mukh bolanaa maaran naadh keeeae ||

chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored. All these spices have been made from the Sound-current of the Naad.

CqIh AMimRq Bwau eyku jw kau ndir kryie ]1]

shhatheeh a(n)mrith bhaao eaek jaa ko nadhar karaee ||1||

The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

bwbw horu Kwxw KusI KuAwru ]

baabaa hor khaanaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other foods are false.

ijqu KwDY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]

jith khaadhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

Eating them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

The last two lines here are so very true. Obviously guru sahib says that to keep this body going me must eat and fasting is a big no no but its different when the eating gets too much and out of control.

From personal experience when I over eat its exactly the last line that happens. Few weeks ago on a Sunday mum made parothe (the big double aloo ones - mmm very tasty rolleyes.gif ). I was full with one but my mann got greeedy and had another - what happens? I went to the gurdwara afterwards and I felt anger boiling inside me for no reason. All day I didn't want to touch any other food and felt angry all and couldn't concentrate on my bani.

I start to feel greedy in other areas when I have had far too many cookies.

So gurbani is eaxtly true - eat less and you will remain focused. And the more you recite bani or do simran naturally you begin to feel less hungry as you taste the sweetness of bani.

Also something I've noticed is that mostly the five vices come about after goorayan da food and rich indian foods. Plain daal and roti is always the best. Well thats my experience anyway.

But who can stop mum's filling up your plate even when you make it clear you don't want much and they think you don't eat anything.

Bhul chuk maaf