Punjab Politics

When i was in Punjab recently i had a discussion with a Singh about the state of the politics in Punjab. One thing he said was that most people know that the politicians are corrupt but he said that the fact is that all parties are corrupt so they try to choose the lesser of the 2 evils so to speak.

Another thing that i found very interesting was when he said that if 1 Sant was to become political people would vote for that Sant because alot of the main Sants in Punjab have good reputations and are known to be honest.

Why is it that Sants in Punjab are not more political? Whats stopping a group like the Sant Samaj forming there own political party?

Please discuss this? Would it work? If so then why and how? If not then why?

Guest fordcapri

Most Sants are corrupt they hide the real Sikh.i If the sangat knew real Sikhi sants and babair wouldnt make money, them to be

involved in politics would only increase the corrupution that exists already.

But there are some Saints out their that arent corrupt and that are respected.

I heard something once thats very true. There was a time when people who used to come into the sangat of sikhs who were corrupt but these people quickly became honest. Nowadays the honest people that come in quickly become corrupt.

Maybe the current political system is not suitable for the Sant. A politcal decisions making system was revealed to the kaum in the form of Punj Pyaray, the Gurmatas and concencus for the sarbat khalsa.

The Sants jeevan is more influential without even entering the democratic political system.

• 2 weeks later...

Below is an article i just came across. seems like something similar to what i suggested in this topic maybe happening. maybe this is why badal and co have been recruiting folk singers like hans raj hans to sit as candidates to counter any popularity that these panthics leaders may have.

Sant Samaj and Panthic bodies announce to contest next SGPC election against SAD (Badal)

Phagwara, Punjab: More than one dozens Panthic Organizations and Sant Samaj have decided to contest next elections of Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee, against candidates of SAD(Badal).This decision was unanimously made in first such joint meeting held at Phagwara on Tuesday evening.

Giving details of the meeting, Bhai Mohakam Singh Spokesman of Damdami Taksal and Sant Shamsher Singh Jagera President International Sant Samaj, while addressing a news conference here today. They declared to work to free the Supreme Religeous Seat Shri Akal Takhat Sahib from the clutches of Shiromani Akali Dal.

Commenting upon the reopening of Anandpur Sahib Resolutions by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal,Both Religeous Leaders asked Badal to present the Anand-Pur Sahib Resolution before Punjab Assembly in stead of going to media only to flair up the issue.They said Badal should make hard efforts to get passed a resolution in the assembly regarding Anandpur Sahib Resolution.

Both Religeous Leaders urged the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to follow Canada and America for their public apologisation for Kamagatamaru and Japan episode and tender apology for Operation Blue Star held twentyfive years back. They claimed that not even a single person was convicted on the FIR registered on June 6, 1984 even after 25 years.

Criticising SGPC for its undue stand on Sehajdhari Issue,Both Leaders told that the joint meeting has urged the Hon.Judiciary ie High Court not to intervene in the religious matters of Sikhs as these religious issues should be resolved by Akal Takhat only.

The Joint meeting was attended by Damdami Taksal Spokesman Bhai Mohakam Singh, Sant Hari Singh (Nanaksar), Baba Ghajjan Singh (Budda Dal), Baba Jaswant Singh Ladhowal, Gurnam Singh(AISSF), and the representatives of Kalerawale, Raddrr Sahib, Harkhowal, Miri Piri Khalsa, Nirmala Panth, Udasin Panth, Mustuana Community, Sikh Council, Human Rights Organisation Sant Sipahi Dal. They all declared to launch their compaign in full swings to safeguard the sikh maryadas.

http://sikhsangat.org/1469/2009/02/sant-sa...inst-sad-badal/

Real Brahamgiani Sants don't mix into the World of politics. They only have goal in life and thats to do Bandgi. They just live their lives in Naam Simran, Seva and spreading the message of Sikhi. If anyone should lead Sikhs it should be Panj Pyare selected by the Panth as a whole.

before thier sach khand gaman, sant kartar singh ji told sant jarnail singh ji to never trust a politician.

sant ji often says in his speechs that before a person gets into politics, or before he gets a ranking, he'll even call a donkey his father. and after he gets that position or ranking he'll call his father a donkey. lol.

kursi, broken up in 2 words: kur-rasi. khote ras wali. lol

However,

Even though i dont agree and wudnt call some of those sants, but i think its a very positive step for the panth, think about the motive

To release akaal takht from the control of Akali Dal (Badal), isnt that a good motive, to revive the panth from its very sad state at the moment, we all complain, akaal takht is gulaam bla bla bla, the jds are under control of badal, well if a group of gurmukhs, abhiyaasi, sants have come together to challenge badal and the backwaas then WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?

Why dont some of the SS users go and sort it out.

Your right sants dont come into politics, however these lot would probably do a damn better job then the apparent AKali Dal - KAAli dal.

At least they do nitnem, follow gurmat maryada, have kamai, have countless hours of nitnem and have gyaan and are scholars.

I say its something positive if they pull it off and dont get used by badal and the weaker ones dont sell out.

However,

Even though i dont agree and wudnt call some of those sants, but i think its a very positive step for the panth, think about the motive

To release akaal takht from the control of Akali Dal (Badal), isnt that a good motive, to revive the panth from its very sad state at the moment, we all complain, akaal takht is gulaam bla bla bla, the jds are under control of badal, well if a group of gurmukhs, abhiyaasi, sants have come together to challenge badal and the backwaas then WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?

Why dont some of the SS users go and sort it out.

Your right sants dont come into politics, however these lot would probably do a damn better job then the apparent AKali Dal - KAAli dal.

At least they do nitnem, follow gurmat maryada, have kamai, have countless hours of nitnem and have gyaan and are scholars.

I say its something positive if they pull it off and dont get used by badal and the weaker ones dont sell out.

I would agree with that.