As Artistes, We Only Mirror Society: Mann

Azaad

As artistes, we are devoted to our work. We do not target any caste, creed, colour or individual through our songs or comedy. Rather we only mirror what is prevalent in society.

Renowned Punjabi singer Babbu Mann and comedian Bhagwant Mann said this while talking to The Tribune about their forthcoming Punjabi movie, “Ekam”, today.

Babbu Mann’s song “Ik Baba Nanak Si Jine sari duniya gah ti” from his album “Singh Is Better than King” has created ripples besides starting a debate worldwide over the conduct of self-proclaimed godmen and their malpractices. In fact, the song has proved to be a strong comment on the holy men in the state and their lavish lifestyles.

“I am no saint or godman. I am a mere artiste who tries to awaken the masses and infuse positive thoughts in them through my art,” Babbu Mann said.

Clarifying the furore raised over the Audi lyrics, Mann said he never targeted any single person and he had not done it in this song either.

Being a seasoned artiste, I believe in exposing the system and making audiences think about the prevailing scenario that may not augur well for the coming generations. “This line has neither been written on anyone’s instruction, nor would it be deleted ever,” he affirmed.

“Moreover, these godmen have far more expensive cars than Audi,” he quipped in a lighter vein.

On his part, Bhagwant Mann said that as an artiste his responsibility was to keep an eye on misdeeds in society and highlight them to make people aware.

“It’s the duty of every watchdog of society to keep the people informed of the happenings around him. Such satirical creations only ruffle the feathers of those who have something to hide from society. The common man always welcomes such satires and enjoys these immensely,” he pointed out.

Bhagwant, too, has talked extensively about the self-styled godmen in his cassette,“Just Laugh, Baki Saaf”.