Rajoana Adamant, Wants To Be Hanged

Azaad

Even as Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today stated in the assembly that he would meet President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to seek clemency for Balwant Singh Rajoana, the latter has asked him not to do so as “he wants to get hanged as per the court orders”. He said he did not want anyone to beg for clemency on his behalf.

In a letter to the Akal Takht, Rajoana has clarified that there was no need to seek clemency for him. “I have fought for my rights all through my life. I do not want to give away my principles for anyone,” says Rajoana in a letter handed over to his sister Kamaldeep Kaur, following their meeting at the Patiala Central Jail today. Criticising politicians, especially the Akalis, Rajoana has said he neither trusts them (Akalis) nor believes them as they have failed to get justice from New Delhi. “These leaders were mum till date and suddenly they are speaking for my clemency. All know how they have made money and what their reality is,” reads the letter. “…the Akalis should give away blue turbans and instead don khaki turbans for failing to get justice from New Delhi time and again”.

Rajoana also refused to accept any sympathy from the BJP, Capt Amarinder Singh or from late CM Beant Singh’s family members. “Asking for mercy from them is not even in my distant dreams,” reads the letter. Earlier today, Badal said in the assembly that the state government was taking all possible legal and constitutional measures to secure clemency for Rajoana. He said the government had received a copy of the mercy appeal sent by the SGPC to the President.

The Case Files

July 31, 2007: A special court awards death sentence to Balwant Rajoana, Jagtar Hawara

March 13, 2012: The court of Additional District and Sessions in Chandigarh issues execution warrants of Rajoana’s hanging; are sent to Patiala jail where he is lodged

March 16: The orders are returned by Patiala jail stating inability on the part of the Jails Department to hang Rajoana

March 20: The court re-sends the warrants to Patiala jail to hang Rajoana on March 31

March 24: The warrants are again returned by the jail authorities to the court in Chandigarh

DSGMC also to file clemency plea

AMRITSAR: After the SGPC, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee is also gearing up to file a clemency petition for Balwant Singh Rajoana before President Pratibha Patil tomorrow. DSGMC chief PS Sarna said, "We have prepared the clemency petition and will submit it to the President tomorrow.” About the basis of the plea, he said they had raised four points in the petition. First, the petitions of the co-accused in the case were pending with the SC, while one of them had got his death sentence commuted to life term. Second, the consequences that may emerge out of Rajoana hanging should also be kept in mind. Third, the SC has termed death penalty fit only in rarest of rare cases, which does not apply here. Finally, the capital punishment is being done away with in various countries and it should be done here as well.