Racism within British Society

Jeevan

WJKK

WJKF

As a Sikh born, educated and working in Britain, I am only now begginning to become aware of 'subtle' racism rather the obvious physical and verbal abuse. For example when I was at school, I wanted to take O level French as an option but was persuaded not even though the my grade never slipped below A mark. My French teacher advised me against taking the language as an option. The excuse was while my written assessments were excellent but my verbal skills were lacking. Surely though this comes with practice and interaction? I speak fluent English and Punjabi and can understand dialects of Hindi, Urdu etc. At no time did I ever attend Punjabi school or classes but being part of the Punjabi heritage we pick up and learn so why couldn't I have mastered the French language.

On the work front I worked for a NHS Trust in London, even with the right qualification &, experience etc myself and other Sikhs were never considered for management and the Trust always picked white foreigners from South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, etc. what is this about? I spoke to some Moslems friends and they said 'funny that' because they had noticed and thought it was just them.

Then there are the amount of times I get pulled over by the Police on 'routine matters'.

Please post up your 'subtle experiences' of racism.

Haha Jeevan,

Oh ki haal chaal hai?

I know how you're feeling. Your experience with the NHS is very similar to what my mom has experienced at her hospital.

Well, you know where i live, and its all very much multi-cultural. However, i've often been pulled over by police and been "searched" infront of everyone while they kept me on the street. Its no problem now, once you been through it enough times you get less and less bothered what passers by might be thinking. Thats how i feel.

I expect more 'subtle' racism though when i move on to full time employment. I havent had any bad experience with teachers trying to hold me back or exclude me from anything since i was quite young. Nowadays, i exclude myself from most things. Its workded out best for me, my tutors treat me like the adult i am because i've quitened down alot and dont bother with surroundings in class.

Or maybe they're thinking i might drive a bus into the Uni if they dont treat me with respect :wub:

Keep your head up man. There will always be others trying to hold you back, including people of the same ethnicity or religion as you.

Know your enemy and know who your friends are. And of course, know yourself.

Regards,