Ego

humble_kaur

One of the biggest evils that we have inside of us, is ego; it keeps us from finding Waheguru Ji. We need to destroy the ego inside of us, because it has become an obstacle between Waheguru Ji and us.

Dn ipr kw iek hI sMig vwsw ivic haumY BIiq krwrI]

The bride (soul) and the husband (God) are separated by the wall of ego.

Ego is within all humans plaguing over us like a disease.

haumY rogu mwnuK ko dInw]

Humans are given the disease of ego.

Ego and Waheguru Ji cannot be in the same place at the same time. If we want to follow the path of Waheguru Ji, then it is necessary to break free from the ego. The only way is through meditating Gurbani.

sMqhu iehw bqwvhu kwrI] ijqu haumY grbu invwrI]

O Saints, show me such a way, by which my egotism and pride might be eliminated.

haumY nwvY nwil ivroDu hY duie n vsih iek Twie]

Ego is opposed to the Name of the Lord; the two cannot dwell in the same place.

Many of us today do sewa and simran, but with ego inside of us, the soul is not satisfied. So, the sewa and simran, is it accepted by our Guru? If it is all done through ego? Is this true sewa and simran?

haumY ivic syvw n hoveI qw mnu ibrQw jwie ]1]

In egotism, selfless service cannot be performed, and so the soul goes unfulfilled.

If we wish to meet our Lord, then we must destroy our ego:

haumY jweI qw kMq smweI]

But if she gets rid of her ego, then she merges in her Husband Lord.

Through Naam is the only way to rid of this ego. Naam is the only medicine that can cure us from this plague known as ego. Once we rid our ego, we become humble.

AauKDu nwmu inrml jlu AMimRqu pweIAY gurU duAwrI ]4]

The medicine of the Naam, and the Immaculate Water of Ambrosial Nectar, are obtained through the Guru's Gate.

This Name of God can only be obtained through the true Guru.

khu nwnk ijsu msqik iliKAw iqsu gur imil rog ibdwrI]

Says Nanak, one who has such pre-ordained destiny written upon his forehead, meets with the Guru, and his diseases are cured.

Hi,

Please discern Ego from Egotism.

We do not seek to destroy our Ego but to control it. Ego is our self esteem too, and we do not seek to destroy our self esteem. We are proud of being Sikhs (self esteem), but we do not belittle others and think we are better than them (egotism).

egotism

e·go·tism

noun

Definitions:

1. inflated sense of self-importance: the possession of an exaggerated sense of self-importance and superiority to other people

2. preoccupation with self: the tendency to speak or write too much about yourself

3. selfishness: selfishness or self-centeredness

e·go

( P ) Pronunciation Key (g, g)

n. pl. e·gos

The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.

Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

So there are two sides to the ego:

1) Exagerated self importance

2) Appropriate pride in oneself.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji encouraged appropriate pride in oneself. Control is the key to Ego not destruction

Hi,

Please discern Ego from Egotism.

We do not seek to destroy our Ego but to control it. Ego is our self esteem too, and we do not seek to destroy our self esteem. We are proud of being Sikhs (self esteem), but we do not belittle others and think we are better than them (egotism).

egotism  

e·go·tism

noun 

Definitions:

1. inflated sense of self-importance: the possession of an exaggerated sense of self-importance and superiority to other people

2. preoccupation with self: the tendency to speak or write too much about yourself

3. selfishness: selfishness or self-centeredness

e·go

( P )  Pronunciation Key  (g, g)

n. pl. e·gos

The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.

Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

So there are two sides to the ego:

1) Exagerated self importance

2) Appropriate pride in oneself.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji encouraged appropriate pride in oneself. Control is the key to Ego not destruction

121667[/snapback]

Before we start defining what ego and egoism is, we have to understand the psychology of Egotism:

“There are two kinds of egos in this world: the personality- and the task- oriented egos.

The Task-Oriented Ego puts some endeavor above any other in importance. Such an ego tends to be conservative owing to its lack of energy to promote anything else and its need to protect its one important task, and any of its supportive tasks. Once the primal task is either completed or loses its importance, it is either replaced by another or the individual retires from promoting any more tasks. This type of ego forms the basis of our world in sheer popularity. It is more bearable than the other type of ego, for it is more moderate in its application of passion. Consequently, celebrities are more likely to belong to this group.

The Personality-Oriented Ego puts self above all others in importance. Such an ego tends to be liberal owing to its abundant resourcefulness of energy and due to the shift of focus being removed from the task at hand and shifted (instead) onto the personality's self. No task is too great or too small for the personality-ego to compete with or strive for. No task is eternally sacred. Sooner or later, all tasks get their chance for a little spotlight to be thrown onto them --- and then, off. This type of ego is in a world (and class) of its own.”

What does the soul need? Separation from, and loss of, identification with everything that the ego pursues: sensationalism, rationalization, retribution, or self-destruction. Only by separation from the products of egotism can a soul maintain its integrity, self-sufficiency, and identity. The ego is the lie of: retribution, rationalization, sensation, and annihilation. It is not necessary for the soul to engage in fighting the products of egotism because these are merely the extensions of egotism. The soul needs to engage with the source of these products: its own self-burial. It is within the void of self-denial, the denial of the soul's existent, that the ego is nourished into being. Without this void, the ego could not exist. The less of a void within the soul, the less of an ego within the person. So, the trick is in fulfilling the needs of the soul and forgetting that one's self has a hungry ego and letting it starve to death.

haumY dIrG rogu hY dwrU BI iesu mwih ]

Ego is a chronic disease, but it contains its own cure as well.

Egoism is a terrible disease that is within all of us. We can only find the path of liberation, the path to God, if we “kill” our ego.

haumY vfw rogu hY Bwie dUjY krm kmwie]

Egoism is such a terrible disease; in the love of duality, people do their deeds

haumY sBu srIru hY haumY Epiq hoie

Ego is within all the bodies; and through ego the beings are born

mwrgu mukqw haumY mwir

The path of liberation is found by killing ego

How do we go about doing this?

1. In the company of Saadh Sangat, where we undergo a mental, moral, and spiritual change.

swD kY sMig imtY AiBmwnu ]

In the Company of the Holy, egotism is eliminated.

haumY mmqw mohu Cutw jw sMig imilAw swDy ]

Self-conceit, egotism and emotional attachment are eradicated when one joins the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

2. Amongst all vices, the one posing the greatest hindrance to realizing God is ones Ego. This has been repeated over and over again in Gurbani. Amongst all virtues, the highest is that of ego’s counterpart, humility. By building a foundation of humility, one is able to acquire all other virtues. One can acquire these virtues from God, but only when they come in a state of humbleness. By becoming humble you can “kill” your ego and pride. By becoming a Gurmukh and reading Gurbani you can eradicate your ego:

imTqu nIvI nwnkw gux cMigAweIAw qqu ]

Sweetness and humility, O Nanak, are the essence of virtue and goodness.

haumY mwir bIcwir mn gux ivic guxu lY swir ]1] rhwau ]

Subdue your ego, and contemplate Him in your mind; gather in the virtues of the Sublime, Virtuous Lord. ||1||Pause||

so jnu swcw ij haumY mwrYThat humble being is true, who kills his ego

gurmuiK hayumY sbid jlwey

By becoming a Gurmukh, burn your ego through the Shabad, or Naam

A person, who has developed God’s given gunn and virtues in their life through Guru’s teaching and has God’s love in their life, takes measures to guard this spiritual wealth. They do not want to fall into coma of agyantaa, being without gyan, such that they become vulnerable to someone robbing them of these gunn and virtues.

iesu dyhI AMdir pMc cor vsih kwmu k®oDu loBu mohu AhMkwrw ]

Within this body dwell five thieves: sexual desire, anger, greed, emotional attachment and egotism

AMimRqu lUtih mnmuK nhI bUJih koie n suxY pUkwrw ]

They plunder the Nectar, but the self-willed manmukh does not realize it; no one hears his complaint.

Vices, such as lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego, are the five thieves that dwell inside of us. The biggest thief of all is ego, and if left unattended, it is capable of robbing a person of all of his/her virtues.

bRhm igAwnI AhMbuiD iqAwgq ]

The God-Conscious being renounces his proud ego.

And what is the outcome?

bRhm igAwnI kY min prmwnµd ]

In the mind of the God-Conscious being, there is supreme bliss, for the Lord resides there.

bRhm igAwnI kY Gir sdw Anµd ]

In the home of the God-Conscious being, there is everlasting bliss.

3. Eliminate the presences of “mine”. A Brahm Gyani has no thinking of his own. He has eliminated his own existence, his own sense of self and has completely immersed within God. There is no room for the thought of mine being present: this is “my own personality”, this is “my own thinking”.

bRhm igAwnI kY nwhI AiBmwn ]

The God-conscious being has no egotistical pride.

********************************************************************************

Our entire existence is centered on our ego, and we can only realize this once we rid ourselves of ego. Baba Kabir Ji says “I am not afraid of this death in me, of my ego, but instead eagerly await for that moment to arrive so that I can be one with my Lord. Once we reach Lord’s door, our ego vanishes.” Supreme bliss is only obtained by death, not death of the physical body, but the death of one’s identity, sense of self, ego.

kbIr muih mrny kw cwau hY mrau q hir kY duAwr ]

Kabir, I long to die; let me die at the Lord’s Door.

kbIr ijsu mrny qy jgu frY myry min Awnµdu ]

Kabir, the world is afraid of death – that death fills my mind with bliss.

mrny hI qy pweIAY pUrnu prmwnµdu ]22]

It is only by death that perfect, supreme bliss is obtained.

haumY mwry qw dru sUJY

Kill your ego, then you will find God's Door

The Guru says, that I have seen the whole world, and I have only seen the very rare person who has been able to remove his own ego, his own identity and merge as one with God.

iesu jug mih ko ivrlw bRhm igAwnI ij haumY myit smwey ]

In this world, one who knows God is very rare; eradicating ego, he is absorbed in God.

“In ego people come and in ego they go. In ego they are born and in ego they die. In ego they give and in ego they take. In ego they earn and in ego they lose. In ego they become truthful or false. In ego they experience heavenly or hellish existence. In ego they laugh, and in ego they weep. In ego they become dirty, and in ego they are washed clean. In ego they lose social status and class. In ego they are ignorant, and in ego they are wise. They do not know the value of salvation and liberation. In ego they love Maya and in ego they are kept in darkness by it. Living in ego, mortal beings are created. When one understands ego, then God's gate is known. Without Spiritual Wisdom, they babble and argue"

Bhul Chuk Maaf

The problem here is the definition of the word Hankaar. It does not mean just Ego. Also the context of the use of the word ego is used has to be checked. Guruji is refering to Hankaar, which is FALSE self pride, egotism, NOT self esteem as you have stated

I have been into great lengths, and long discussion about this before, and the conclusion has been that Guruji is talking about control of the 5 vices and NOT destruction..

What you are saying is kill self esteem.

Still not destruction of the or killing the Ego what Sikhism talks about but control of it!

To kill is easy, but to control it far more difficult.

Destroying one's ego would lead to low self worth and self esteem and result in mental problems.

I think the problems we have here are translations of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, because there are no precise words for the Punjabi counterpart.

haumai comes from hum or me.......thinking me, me all the time. The word Ego refers to two parts, one self esteem, the other exagerated self importance.

What Guruji is saying is route out the self importance (Haum) or me, me ,me, and subdue it, not the self esteem.

Use www.srigranth.org............and I suggest you carefully work through all the translations and type in the word control. :)

As the first master says:

Page 155, Line 16 -- Guru Nanak Dev

Let the five passions be disciples under your control, O begging Yogi, and make this mind your walking stick. ||1||

panch chaylay vas keejeh raaval ih man keejai dandaataa. ||1||

Hi Penji,

just to reaffirm the message I have taken a sample of quotes from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. The way to controlling the 5 vices is to submit yourself to Gods will.

Page 208, Line 3 -- Guru Arjan Dev

I have brought the five disciples together, and they are now under the control of the one mind.

panch chaylay mil bha-ay iktaraa aykas kai vas kee-ay.

Page 341, Line 17 – Saint Kabir

PAPPA: He is limitless; His limits cannot be found.

Papaa apar paar nahee paavaa.

I have attuned myself to the Supreme Light.

Param jot si-o parcha-o laavaa.

One who controls his five senses

paaNcha-o indree nigreh kar-ee.

Rises above both sin and virtue. ||27||

paap  un do-oo nirvar-ee. ||27||

Page 381, Line 10 – Guru Arjan Dev

Making the effort, the mind becomes pure; in this dance, the self is silenced.

Udam karat hovai man nirmal naachai aap nivaaray.

The five passions are kept under control, and the One Lord dwells in the mind. ||1||

panch janaa lay vasgat raakhai man meh aykankaaray. ||1||

Page 670, Line 13 -- Guru Arjan Dev

God, Merciful to the meek, granted His Grace, and placed the five enemies under my control. ||1||Pause||

deen da-i-aal karee parabh kirpaa vas keenay panch dootaaray. ||1|| rahaa-o.

A bit of discipline and focusing on the one true God helps this:

Page 933, Line 11 -- Guru Nanak Dev

Control your mind, and keep it in its place.

thaakahu manoo-aa raakho thaa-ay.

Page 1057, Line 17 -- Guru Amar Das

Truth and self-control are found through the Door of the True Guru.

sach sanjam satguroo du-aarai.

Note the emphasis on control, by submission to the will of Waheguru. If you want me to go through your quotes I can do.

I think we have to destroy five vices and control five senses.

but in order to destroy them first we have to control them.

Ang 975, Line 12 -- Guru Ram Das

ivic dyhI doK AswD pMc DwqU hir kIey iKn prly ]2]

Within the body are the five evil and uncontrollable passions. The Lord destroys them in an instant. ||2||

121979[/snapback]

Harmeet......note the second part..........THe LORD destroys them in an instant. Through waheguru we get our strength, without waheguru we are nothing. Its through waheguru we learn. He is both the creator and the destroyer.

The ying and yang. If we don't know the bad side to something, how do we know the good?

Think about it. grin.gif

If we don't know the bad side to something, how do we know the good?

I know bhaji, i dont get what are you trying to say.

My point is we cannot perceive Kaam krodh lobh moh Haankar without the five senses or the mind. Sometimes in gurbani it is mentioned 10 senses also for all the other feelings, i suppose.

is it

5 Vices -->(gives rise to) uncontrolled 5 senses.

or

Uncontrolled Mind ---> gives rise to 5 Vices?

I think Without the mind the 5 vices cant exist for us.

So I think it makes sense to attack the origin which is the mind and control it - Control the mind so that it can't create the 5 vices.

I think we can only control the cause and not the effect. Ego is the effect of the mind(mind is the cause) and not a cause in itself i think.