Questions

Paneet

WJKK, WJKF

I have alot of questions about Sikhi, and I was hoping I could get some answers. These things have sort of been bugging me for a while...

My first question is about Sikh history. Where do all the stories come from? I mean, I know that alot of stories have just been passed down from generation to generation, but that can't just be it, can it? Are there records or something from way back from our gurujis' times that tell of what happened?

Next - what is the Hukamnama? I know that probably sounds like a really stupid question, but I honestly don't know.

Also, in the Guru Granth Sahib, what does it say about taking amrit? As in, what are our expectations, or what are the rules? A direct quote would be nice. :lol:

And finally, someone told me that Guru Gobind Singh ji does not have any banis in the Guru Granth Sahib, but in my english-roman gutka it says that Anand Sahib, I think, was written by Guru Gobind Singh. Confused!

Fateh,

Firstly no one should feel any worry or anxiety if they have questions about anything, particularly about Sikhi. The whole life of a Sikh is that of a student, and every student at some point or another has questions which they dont know the answer to. So i commend you for having the courage to ask these questions to the sangat, and im sure many others have similar questions like you but may not feel as confident asking them. So keep up the questions!

Now to try and answer the questions uve posed.

1) Sikh history and stories.

You are right that the majority of sikh history was not recorded firsthand by the gurus themselves or by their contemporaries. Much of what we know has been passed down orally thru generations. With regards to the written accounts their are two major sources for this. First are various references and accounts made about the sikhs and the gurus by muslim historians in their own books. These were largely ignored for a long time but there has been lots of effort over last few decades to analyze these muslim records (an excellent example is the work done by Dr. Ganda Singh).

The other major source are the sakhis we find in many old books written by various sikhs and others. Many of these date back nearly 300 years ago. The important thing to keep in mind when reading these is that the vast majority of these books were written based on stories passed down orally. Now anytime stories are passed on only by talkin and not written format then very quickly those stories can become distorted and false information enters it. Simple example is when we tell one friend something, they pass that story on to another friend and eventually it keeps being passed on and on and every persons version they tell the next is slightly different then the original n pretty soon the last person to hear it may get false information, n hence false rumours begin. And this is what happend with many sikh stories and why we hear so many unususual and confusing things linked to our gurus.

The important thing to realize is the differnce between sikhaya (teachings) and sakhi (stories). Anything we read in guru granth sahib is sikhaya but not everthing we read or hear outside of it necessarily sikhaya. Sakhis function ONLY TO COMPLEMENT and SUPPORT the sikhaya, and not form the taching itself. That is why no guru wrote stories about their own life though they easily cud of. Instead they wrote only sikhaya in the form of bani to help us unite with god. The problem today is that we have become more attahed to the sakhis (stories) then the sikhaya (gurbani)

2) Hukamnama

Hukamnama, literally means "Royal Order." As Akal Takht Sahib is the Throne of the Almighty, the orders issued by Akal Takht Sahib are called Hukamnamas. The letters written by the Sikh Gurus too were also called Hukamnamas. In the middle ages, the orders from the worldly rulers were also known as Hukamnama but the people carried out the orders under compulsion.

When Sikhs have questions about an important matter or some serious problem arises they discuss that matter using the teachings of gurbani. They then reach a collective group decision which is based on gurus teachings and this decision is known as a "gurmutta" (the counself of guru sahib). Usually this applies only to the people or situation involved in that problem, (eg. when decisions were made to attack certain forts during mughal rule) but if the decision is of national importance it is then released as a "hukamnama" which applies to all sikhs (eg. when the guru asked all sikhs to meet up at anandpur during vaishaki, or when he forbid sikhs from having relations with dhirmaliay, child killers etc.)

3) Amrit

This is a very confusing topic for most cuz most ppl assume that the water used during the baptismal ceremony (khanday dhi pahul) is true amrit. But it isnt. True amrit is not some sort of specially made water prepared while reciting gurbani, but rather true amrit is Gods Name.

AMimRqu rsnw bolY idnu rwqI min qin AMimRqu pIAwvixAw ]3]

They chant the Ambrosial Name with their tongues day and night; their minds and bodies are satisfied by this Amrit

pIviq AMimRq nwmu jn nwmy rhy AGwie ]14]

Drinking in the Ambrosial Amrit of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, His humble servants remain satisfied with the Naam

This is the real amrit for a sikh. Once they attain this prabhu-naam, i.e. they begin to feel the lords name within their hearts then the only thing that person wants in his life is to stay in touch with this amrit (Gods name). For amrit is something that is pure, the purest thing is God, and when one is fully immersed with God then they see and remember God everywhere whatever their doing.

AMimRqu Kwxw AMimRqu pYnxw nwnk nwmu vfweI hoie ]1]

The Ambrosial Amrit is his food, and the Ambrosial Amrit is his clothes; O Nanak, through the Naam, the Name of the Lord, greatness is obtained

With regards to the amrit ceremony, there is not direct mention of it in Guru Granth Sahib. But like many things in a Sikh's life, this is a hukam which was passed on to us directly by our Guru (same as not cuttin our hair, not drinking, no adultery, no smoking etc). And gurbani tells us, whatever hukam (order) the guru gives us, a sikh should follow it without question cuz the guru always says things with our best interest in mind. A sikh is supposed to model his life exactly like that of the guru.

gurisK mIq clhu gur cwlI ]

O Sikhs of the Guru, O friends, walk on the Guru's Path.

jo guru khY soeI Bl mwnhu hir hir kQw inrwlI ]1] rhwau ]

Whatever the Guru says, accept that as good; the sermon of the Lord, Har, Har, is unique and wonderful.

So any one who wishes to call themselves a Sikh should make it their goal to follow the advice of the guru. And we shudnt look at this as an order or command but rather look at this as helpful advice one loving friend gives to another. As for rules about it, do not get worried or stressed that u have to do it rite away this weekend. Instead take ur time, learn about sikhi, read gurbani, try and understand it slowly bit by bit and trust me, over time u will automatically want to take khanday dhi pahul (amrit ceremony) on ur own. This shud be ur approach to sikhi.

4) Guru Gobind Singhs bani

Guru Gobind SIngh DOES NOT have any bani of his written in guru granth sahib. Guru Granth Sahib contains only bani from the first 5 gurus, 9th guru and varoius other bhagats.

HOpe this answers ur questions ( n sorries for the long post, have a habit of gettin carried away at times..hehe)

Thankyou both for the anwers! You answered my questions perfectly. And Kharkoo, don’t worry about getting carried away, I needed that information. :lol:

Also, I checked back in my gutka, sorry, I made a mistake, it did not say that Anand Sahib was written by Guru Gobind Singh. :oops: