[shabad] Dharasan Har Dhaekhan Kai Thaaee ||

heart

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

WOW- i never knew it meant THAT...now i love it even more! what a GREAT shabad man, i cant even begin to describe. d_oh.gif

OMG I CANT GET OVER HOW WICKED THIS SHABAD IS

ok ima *chill*

Beautiful topic bhainjee, please stick to one shabad at a time, I don't think we've fully dived into that shabad to find out the meaning or even a hint of what guru sahib is saying, I'm such a moorakh that I can't even begin with it, London Singh has done a good vichaar on it, and I hope someone enlightens us a bit more.

This translation is from 'http://hukam.sikhnet.com', this shabad was one of the hukamnamas that one of the sevadaars translated, and here it is.

------------

Today’s Hukamnama is by Guru Ram Das Ji in the Raag Soohee on Ang 757 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Raag Soohee is a Raag of being in complete and utter love. There are no other words to sum up this Raag but the word love. The word "Soohee" comes from the word ‘Soohaa’ which is the color of the bride’s dress. That deep, dark, passion filled, love filled shade of red. This sabad is telling us to color ourselves in love of the Guru.

"Asatpadee-aa" means that there are 8 parts to this sabad. "Mehlaa 4" means it is by Guru Ram Das Ji and in the "ghar 2".

"Ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad."

There is one universal creative being who is found through the grace of the true Guru. "Sat" means true and "gur parsaad" means true Guru’s grace.

For those of you who are unable to listen to the complete Hukamnama translation just think about these next three lines which sum up this Hukamnama.

"Ko-ee aan milaavai mayraa pareetam pi-aaraa ha-o tis peh aap vaychaa-ee. ||1||"

If only someone would come. "Aan" means come, "milaavai" means to meet me; "mayraa pareetam pi-aaraa" means my darling beloved. If only someone would come. "Ko-ee" means anyone, who would meet me with my darling beloved. "Ha-o tis" means I would, "vaychaa-ee" means to sell. I would sell myself to that person; "tis peh" means to that person, to that being who would meet me with my beloved Lord. Why? Guru Ji goes onto explain in the next line.

"Darsan har daykhan kai taa-ee."

"Darsan" means the blessed vision of "har" which means the Lord. "Taa-ee" mans to long for. I long to see the blessed vision of God.

"Kirpaa karahi taa satgur mayleh har har naam Dhi-aa-ee. ||1|| Rahaa-o."

"Kirpaa karahi taa satgur mayleh" means only when God showers the mercy upon me. When God showers me with his mercy then "satgur mayleh". "Kirpa" means mercy, "satgur" means true Guru, "mayleh" means to be united with. When the Lord showers mercy and grace upon me, then I unite with the true Guru. Meeting with the true Guru, what do I do? "Har har naam Dhi-aa-ee." "Dhi-aa-ee" means to meditate, worship upon. I meditate upon that Lord’s Name "har har", the Lord God, Hari. Through meditation, through meeting the true Guru, through worship I meet the Lord. "Rahaa-o" means pause and think about this. This is all you need to take from this Hukamnama, this amount of love.

"Jay sukh deh ta tujheh araaDhee dukh bhee tujhai Dhi-aa-ee. ||2||"

"Jay sukh deh ta tujheh araaDhee". Oh God, "Sukh" means happiness; if you bless me with happiness "ta tujheh araaDhee". "Tujheh" means you and "araaDhee" means I worship. If you bless me with the happiness, God, ill worship you. "Dukh bhee tujhai Dhi-aa-ee." Guru Ji says but even if you bless me with pain ("Dhi-aa-ee" means to worship/meditate upon). Even in pain, oh Lord, I meditate and worship upon you. If you give me happiness I wont turn my face away from you and if you give me pain, I wont say oh God gave me this. In Sukhmani Sahib it says “Dhas basathoo lae paashhai paavai. Eaek basath kaaran bikhott gavaavai. Eaek bhee n dhaee dhas bhee hir laee. Tho moorraa kahu kehaa karaee.” This means God has given you nine out of ten things. You wont think oh God has given me nine things but you think about how God hasn’t given you that one thing, that 10%. That’s the way our mind works. But Guru Ram Das Ji says even if you bless me with peace or pain, I take it as one and I worship upon you.

"Jay bhukh deh ta it hee raajaa dukh vich sookh manaa-ee. ||3||"

"Jay bhukh deh ta it hee raajaa" means even if you give me "bhukh" (hunger), "it hee raajaa". "Raajaa" means to be satisfied. Even in hunger I will be satisfied. "Dukh" means pain, "vich" means in, "sookh manaa-ee" means be joyful ("sookh"). Even in the midst of pain I will be joyful. I will keep the happiness of the Lord in my heart that love.

"Tan man kaat kaat sabh arpee vich agnee aap jalaa-ee. ||4||"

"Man" means my mind; "tan" means my body. Body and mind I will cut them into pieces "kaat kaat" (part into pieces) "sabh arpee" and I will offer them to you oh God, "vich agnee aap jalaa-ee" means if it would please you I would burn myself in fire for you. "Agnee" means fire and "jalaa-ee" means to burn. This means spiritual fire. Burn and purge our mind of that darkness to bring it into that light. Burn our body from those mis- deeds. This is not a physical burn but a spiritual one. This means in the sabad burn away the ego, the lust, the greed, and the attachment.

"Pakhaa fayree paanee dhovaa jo dayveh so khaa-ee. ||5||"

"Pakhaa fayree" means I will wave the fan over you. "Pakhaa" means fan, "fayree" means to wave, "paanee dhovaa" means to carry ("dhovaa") water ("paanee"). Whatever you give ("dayveh"), I will eat ("khaa-ee") whatever you give to me. This is saying to us, not just to seva, but accept whatever God gives you. If God has given you a bit of pain after happiness, accept it. If God has given you happiness after so much pain, accept it. Don’t get attached to these states because pain and sorrow they follow each other. Don’t get attached to them. The one who you should get attached to is the Lord.

"Naanak gareeb dheh pa-i-aa du-aarai har mayl laihu vadi-aa-ee. ||6||"

"Gareeb" means poor: poor Nanak "dheh" (to fall) "pa-i-aa" means has fallen. Poor Nanak has fallen at your door ("du-aarai"), oh Lord, "har mayl laihu vadi-aa-ee". Oh Lord Hari, unite me with you by your greatness ("vadi-aa-ee"). Guru Ji goes on in even more love.

"Akhee kaadh Dharee charnaa tal sabh Dhartee fir mat paa-ee. ||7||"

"Akhee kaadh" means I will take out ("kaadh") my eyes ("akhee"). "Dharee" means to place, "charnaa" means on your feet. I will place my yes onto your lotus feet. "Sabh Dhartee" means the whole world. After going throughtout the whole world I realised, this bit of knowledge, this "mat" and "paa-ee" means to have acquired. I have acquired this bit of knowledge. I have understood this. What does this mean? I will take my eyes and place them at your feet. It means I will see God in all. That’s what this means on spiritual level; to take out your eyes and place them at God’s feet; see God in all. That’s what this line is telling us to do.

"Jay paas bahaaleh taa tujheh araaDhee jay maar kadheh bhee Dhi-aa-ee. ||8||"

"Paas" means next to. God if you seat me next to you ("bahaaleh" means to seat me), "taa tujheh araaDhee" then I will worship (araaDhee) you. "Maar" means to beat me, "kadheh" means to drive/push me out. Even if you beat me and push me away from you, "bhee Dhi-aa-ee", even then I will worship you.

"Jay lok salaahay taa tayree upmaa jay nindai ta chhod na jaa-ee. ||9||"

"Lok" means the world, "salaahay" means to praise. If the world praises me "taa tayree upmaa", then that praise belongs to you. Remember we say Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. The purity belongs to God; Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, and all victory belongs to God, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. If people praise me, they are praising the Lord. Guru Ji is giving all his praise and any praise he receives to God. He isn’t taking it into his ego, he’s giving it to God and saying God it’s your praise. "Jay nindai ta chhod na jaa-ee". If they slander "nindai" me then I will not leave ("chhod" means leave) you. "Na jaa-ee" means not to leave you.

"Jay tuDh val rahai taa ko-ee kihu aakha-o tuDh visri-ai mar jaa-ee. ||10||"

"Jay tuDh val rahai" means if you are with me where "tuDh" means you, "val rahai" means if you are with me, if you’re by my side at all times, "taa ko-ee kihu aakha-o". "Taa" means how, "ko-ee" means anyone, "kihu" means anything and "aakha-o" means say. How can anyone say anything or do anything to me. "TuDh visri-ai mar jaa-ee." The only time I can die ("mar means to die and "tuDh visri-ai" means when I forget you) is when I forget you.

"Vaar vaar jaa-ee gur oopar pai pairee sant manaa-ee. ||11||"

"Vaar vaar" means again and again. "Vaar vaar jaa-ee gur oopar" means I am a sacrifice to you again and again. "Gur oopar" means to the Guru. "Pai pairee sant manaa-ee" means I fall to the feet to please the saints.

"Naanak vichaaraa bha-i-aa divaanaa har ta-o darsan kai taa-ee. ||12||"

Look at how much love Guru Ram Das Ji is showing to us. "Naanak vichaaraa" means poor Nanak, "bha-i-aa" means has gone or has become, "divaanaa" means insanely in love, oh God, with longing ("taa-ee"). "Har ta-o darsan" means for your blessed vision. Oh God, for your blessed vision, Guru Ram Das Ji is saying, I have gone insane with love.

"Jhakharh jhaagee meehu varsai bhee gur daykhan jaa-ee. ||13||"

Guru Ram Das Ji is telling us how much love he has for Guru Amardas Ji.

"Jhakharh jhaagee" means complete storm, "meehu varsai" means for it to be raining down cats and dogs, absolute bucketfuls. "Bhee gur daykhan jaa-ee" means even then ("bhee") I will go and see ("daykhan jaa-ee") my Guru ("gur"). Even then I will go to catch a glimpse of the Guru. This means to us that even when we are in the violent storm of kalyug, anger we need to calm our minds and take our mind back to the Guru. See how much love Guru Ram Das Ji is portraying for "satgur".

"Samund saagar hovai baho khaaraa gursikh langh gur peh jaa-ee. ||14||"

"Samund" means the oceans; "saagar" means the seas. The great salty seas, even though they maybe wide and vast ("hovai baho khaaraa"), "gursikh langh gur peh jaa-ee". The love of a"gursikh" is so strong that he will cross over these seas to get to the Guru "gur peh jaa-ee".

"Ji-o paraanee jal bin hai martaa ti-o sikh gur bin mar jaa-ee. ||15||"

This is such a beautiful line. "Ji-o paraanee" means as a human being, "jal bin hai martaa", dies without ("bin") "jal" (water). As a mortal/human being will die without water "ti-o sikh gur bin mar jaa-ee", in that way ("ti-o" the Sikh without the Guru ("gur bin") "mar jaa-ee" shall die. The Guru is what keeps us alive.

"Ji-o Dhartee sobh karay jal barsai ti-o sikh gur mil bigsaa-ee. ||16||"

"Ji-o Dhartee" as the earth, "sobh karay" looks beautiful, "jal barsai" when the rain falls, "ti-o sikh gur mil bigsaa-ee", in that same way the Sikh meets the Guru and becomes "bigsaa-ee" which means to blossom-forth. When we meet the Guru, when we are one with the Guru, we are blossiming. When we are away from the Guru, that’s when we are dying.

"Sayvak kaa ho-ay sayvak vartaa kar kar bin-o bulaa-ee. ||17||"

"Sayvak kaa ho-ay sayvak vartaa" means I don’t even want to be your servant, oh God. I want to be a servant of your servant. All I am asking for again and again ("kar kar"), "bin-o" means doing an ardaas, a prayer, "bulaa-ee" means to call for you. I am doing this ardaas, this prayer for you where I just want to be a servant of your servants. Not even your servant but a servant of your servants.

"Naanak kee baynantee har peh gur mil gur sukh paa-ee. ||18||"

Nanak is offering the prayer, "Baynantee" means prayer, an ardaas, "har peh" to God, "gur mil gur sukh paa-ee" that I may meet, maybe united with the Guru ("gur mil"), and by meeting the Guru I will find "sukh", happiness, peace.

"Too aapay gur chaylaa hai aapay gur vich day tujheh Dhi-aa-ee. ||19||"

"Too aapay gur" means oh God you are the Guru, you are the light of the Guru, "chaylaa hai aapay" and you are even the disciple. "Gur vich day tujheh Dhi-aa-ee". Guru Ram Das Ji is saying here that God is like a house and Guru is the door. To enter into that house of God, you have to enter through the Guru’s door. "Gur vich day tujheh Dhi-aa-ee" means through the Guru we can reach the formless God. The Guru is just the form of the formless. Through the Guru I meditate upon you oh God.

"Jo tuDh sayveh so toohai hoveh tuDh sayvak paij rakhaa-ee. ||20||"

"Sayveh" means to serve you (God). Those who serve you, oh God, "so toohai hoveh", they become you. "TuDh sayvak paij rakhaa-ee" where "paij" means honour and "rakhaa-ee" means to look after. You look after the honor of your servants.

"Bhandaar bharay bhagtee har tayray jis bhaavai tis dayvaa-ee. ||21||"

"Bhandaar" means treasure. Your treasures are full. What are they full with? What are God’s treasure chests full with? "Bhagtee", with love, devotion, "har tayray", oh Lord yours. "Jis bhaavai tis dayvaa-ee" but only that person who loves you ("bhaavai" means to love), "dayvaa-ee" means you give to that person. You give this devotion to that person.

"Jis tooN deh so-ee jan paa-ay hor nihfal sabh chaturaa-ee. ||22||"

Whoever you give to ("deh"), "so-ee jan" that person, servant, "paa-ay" means receives. "Chaturaa-ee" means cleverness. We can’t find God through clever tricks. We can only find God through grace. "Nihfal" means fruitless. All other things bear no fruit, fruitless.

"Simar simar simar gur apunaa so-i-aa man jaagaa-ee. ||23||"

I meditate again and again and again and again "gur apunaa" on my Guru so that my mind, which is sleeping ("so-i-aa") will become "jaagaa-ee", will become awakened in the sabad and in the "naam" of the Guru.

"Ik daan mangai naanak vaychaaraa har daasan daas karaa-ee. ||24||"

Poor Nanak "naanak vaychaaraa", "ik daan mangai" asks for one "daan", one gift/blessing, "har daasan daas karaa-ee", that I may become the slave of your slaves, oh Hari, oh God.

"Jay gur jhirhkay ta meethaa laagai jay bakhsay ta gur vadi-aa-ee. ||25||"

This is such a beautiful line. When the Guru "jhirhk"s me, when the Guru tells me off, rebukes me, "ta meethaa laagai". This is so beautiful; it brings tears to your eyes when you read it. Even the Guru’s rebuke, even if the Guru shouts at me, even if the Guru tells me off, it seems sweet to me. "Jay bakhsay ta gur vadi-aa-ee" means if he forgives me that’s the Guru’s greatness. "Bakhsay" means to forgive and "vadi-aa-ee" means greatness. This is such a beautiful line. Sometimes we think the Guru has done something bad for us, he put a rock in our way, but by even doing something negative the Guru is opening a door for us. We cant see it at that time because we cannot comprehend our great our Guru is. How great God is. But even then the Guru is doing something great.

"Gurmukh boleh so thaa-ay paa-ay manmukh kichh thaa-ay na paa-ee. ||26||"

"Gurmukh boleh so thaa-ay paa-ay", whatever the "gurmukh says that is approved by God ("thaa-ay paa-ay"). The words of the "gurmukh" carry weight. The person that follows their mind, whatever they say, whatever hey do ("manmukh"), "kichh thaa-ay na paa-ee", that doesn’t amount to anything.

"Paalaa kakar varaf varsai gursikh gur daykhan jaa-ee. ||27||"

"Paalaa" means in the cold, "kakar" means in the frost, "varaf" means in the snow, "varsai" means to fall. Imagine if it was cold, frosty, snowy, even thten the Guru’s Sikh will go tot see the Guru "gursikh gur daykhan jaa-ee".

"Sabh dinas rain daykh-a-u gur apunaa vich akhee gur pair Dharaa-ee. ||28||"

Day and night I want to see my Guru. How do you do this? By seeing the Guru through all. "Vich akhee" (in my eyes) gur pair Dharaa-ee". "Dharaa-ee" means to put into. Into my eyes I want to put the Guru’s feet. What does that mean. Like when Guru Amardas Ji says in Anand Sahib; "eae naethrahu maeriho har thum mehi joth dhharee har bin avar n dhaekhahu koee". This means without God, oh my eyes, God put light into you, without God see no other. Seeing God’s feet in your eyes forever is to see God all around you.

"Anayk upaav karee gur kaaran gur bhaavai so thaa-ay paa-ee. ||29||"

"Anayk" means many and "upaav" means efforts. "Kaaran" means for the sake of meeting the Guru. Only that which pleases the Guru ("gur bhaavai") will amount to anything, will be accepted ("thaa-ay paa-ee").

"Rain dinas gur charan araaDhee da-i-aa karahu mayray saa-ee. ||30||"

Day and night I worship the Guru’s feet. Oh my Lord "da-i-aa karahu mayray saa-ee", have "karahu" mercy "da-i-aa" on me. Have mercy upon me, oh my Lord, my "saa-ee", my Master.

"Naanak kaa jee-o pind guroo hai gur mil taripat aghaa-ee. ||31||"

The Guru is Nanak’s "jee-o" (soul) and "pind" (body). The Guru is my soul and body. Our Guru says to us ‘Khalsa mero roop hai khaas. Khalsa mero pind prani’ meaning you are my body. Guru is Nanak’s body and soul. This is isn’t our body no more; this is the Guru’s. From the day we bow down to the Guru’s body, this is the Guru’s body and soul. Meeting the Guru, "gur mil", "taripat aghaa-ee" where "taripat" means to be satisfied and "aghaa-ee" means to be completely satisfied. The day I met the Guru my desires were completely satisfied.

"Naanak kaa parabh poor rahi-o hai jat kat tat gosaa-ee. ||32||1||"

Nanak’s Lord ("parabh"), "poor" means everywhere, "poor rahi-o" means to permeate through everything. "Jat" means here, "kat" means there, "tat" means everywhere, "go" means the world and "saa-ee" means the master of. The master of the Universe is permeating through everything.

A beautiful Hukamnama with a beautiful message. Let’s pray we can enshrine some of this love in our hearts of Guru Ram Das Ji. Sometimes its hard when we see things happening to keep this love inside us. But Guru Ji says even if we are blessed with pain, even if we are blessed with happiness, it doesn’t matter as long as we have the love of our Lord.

"Ko-ee aan milaavai mayraa pareetam pi-aaraa ha-o tis peh aap vaychaa-ee. ||1|| Darsan har daykhan kai taa-ee. kirpaa karahi taa satgur mayleh har har naam Dhi-aa-ee. ||1|| Rahaa-o."

Veerji over @ Sikhnet is doing a great job. I think its also a good idea to goto http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?random=1 to choose a random shabad, and once a long vichaar on the shabad has been done another shabad can be posted.